Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW 120v Generator Industrial
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Looking for any information, pictures, leads, etc. on VW 1100/1200/1300/1500/1600 aircooled powered industrial generators (gas or propane). I know they have different things than a normal motor, like a special industrial camshaft and distributor. I'm sure they all end in a normal flywheel, but then what would they connect with to create AC current? Looking to make semi-OK electrical power. I searched "generator" but most of the results are about 12v generator issues. Thanks!
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wow. Tough hunt for this one pic. It was the only generator pic in the 12 pages that I searched through. I used the search term "industrial".
There were a few references to a back up power supply for the original Disney trains using VW industrial engines.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

I'm reasonably sure the cam is the same as a road motor, but the flywheel is oddball (see the black starter motor sticking out towards the camera in the pic?).

Are you thinking of building something Ian?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Wow! That's a lot of engineering just to keep the generator armature as close to engine as possible. Interesting though. I too wonder if there is a generator build in the works. I have seen VW industrial powered saw mills in the past. Seemed like a sound idea.
I think there might be cam differences. When I was searching for the above image, I did notice that there were a few pics of cams. Also a majority of the industrial engines utilized magneto's. A magneto might not be required if a generator is used to recharge the starter battery. Seems that most of the magneto engines were hand crank style.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

Wow. Tough hunt for this one pic. It was the only generator pic in the 12 pages that I searched through. I used the search term "industrial".
There were a few references to a back up power supply for the original Disney trains using VW industrial engines.
Good Luck.

I know right! I'd like to purchase a few of these things, but if I have to I will make them, once I get it figured out. Maybe I could make a unit that bolts on to a typical flywheel ended Type 1 motor, just add your starter, battery, and gas and go. I've heard about that Disney one before. I can't believe there isn't more information out there, someone has to have one of these!! Maybe a scan of an instruction booklet or an old advertisement page or something?! I've seen quite a few of the VW air compressor units but never any AC power generators.

I'm trying to build a new workshop that runs entirely off VW power, blood, sweat, and tears. Wink
**ACHTUNG DO NOT USE AA BRAND PRODUCTS OR BUY ANYTHING FROM PACIFIC PARTS INTERNATIONAL IN CALIFORNIA**
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Then you need to hit Craigslist for a PTO generator, ditch the gearbox and devise a coupler to fit the splines on a cut down bellhousing. Careful when shopping, some make thier power at 1800 RPM and others at 3600, don't know if you'd be in the peak VW HP range at 1800. I don't know what math would determine how many HP it would take to drive it directly but most are geared up from 540 RPM PTO shaft speed, maybe compare KW output VS: HP to similar direct drive units?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

You've read the manuals, right?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/industrial.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

I live in Houston and need to figure something out for the long term as I posted this several years ago.

A 220v generator would be fine if I could split a leg off for 110v.

Test, recalibrate, test.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Something like this would do the trick: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10KW-ST-Generator-Head-1-...SwpzdWs5c9

Слава Україні!
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

I never built something like that but I thought about it.

Harbor Freight sells a belt driven generator head. It's rated at 10000 watts at 3600 rpm. They say 120/240 vac but single phase? 240 is in the same phase? I believe you'd need a 240 vac 2 phase gen (2, 120 lines out of phase) to run a submersible well pump.

Use a starter adapter to mount a starter.

I have an old 3-finger 9-spring pressure plate stripped to the mounting plate. An 8" double cast iron or steel pulley could be brazed or welded to it. You could make up a special gland nut to center it. I looked for a double pulley online but could only find a single steel 8" pulley. 2 pulleys could probably be brazed or welded together.

A lot of work and expense for a maybe/iffy project. And then there's how would you regulate/govern the gas to control the rpm/frequency? Microprocessor?

https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-watts-max-7200-watts-rated-belt-driven-generator-head-45416.html

https://www.vwnos.com/vwnos-1010?gclid=eaiaiqobchmi98vf3ppy7givyfdach2j7al4eaqyasabegjncvd_bwe

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/weasler-...%20pulley#

Just a thought. Very Happy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess a governer would be useful, here's some: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2189417

Belts would work, or direct drive with a spider coupling, or a giant version of a steering coupler.

Слава Україні!
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Yeah, I guess a governer would be useful, here's some: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2189417

Belts would work, or direct drive with a spider coupling, or a giant version of a steering coupler.

If you were good with electronics you could probably control it with a microprocessor circuit. Even an old slow 1mhz 8-bit microprocessor should be fast enough.

You could determine rpm with a sensor on the fan pulley, control the throttle position with a small step motor/pot and check the output for frequency to maintain a steady 60hz.

I wouldn't think you'd need a 1 to 1 connection. The engine should be capable of producing power for 10000 watts at a lower rpm while still maintaining 3600 for the gen.

You'd have to calculate it all out.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

I would be extremely surprised if there was a different cam shaft in the industrial engine. The power band and the cooling system as designed are a good match and changing the cam to have peak power at a different rpm would also entail changing the fan speed to match. The stock set up peaks in the 3 to 4K range which is exactly where you want it for power generation.

I am not sure why you would go with an air cooled VW engine. A diesel would last longer, be more fuel efficient and you could burn heating grade diesel without the road taxes. Running a gasoline engine at pump prices makes for expensive power.

The other option if you insist on an air cooled engine is to go natural gas for fuel if you have a line to your home. Next best cost wise would be propane with a big tank in the yard. That will get you under the road tax issue too.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Maybe you could start with this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2450248
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
I live in Houston and need to figure something out for the long term as I posted this several years ago.

A 220v generator would be fine if I could split a leg off for 110v.

Test, recalibrate, test.

What all are you planning on powering with your generator?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Not sure yet.

The little Honda 3000 powered the furnace, a space heater, and some miscellaneous electrical outlets for 3 days.

Just for emergencies, nothing crazy like a Willy Wonka granola bar factory or anything. Laughing
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Not sure yet.

The little Honda 3000 powered the furnace, a space heater, and some miscellaneous electrical outlets for 3 days.

Just for emergencies, nothing crazy like a Willy Wonka granola bar factory or anything. Laughing

My entire house is 12v DC. I use solar for my main power source and a VW engine as my generator for back up when the days are short and I don’t get enough sunlight for the amount of electricity I consume that day. I know it’s not the same as what you’re trying to do, but it works out great for me.
One thing to keep in mind if you build one, if you want to have remote start you should probably plan on fuel injection rather than a carb so there is no choke issues.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Not sure yet.

Burning fuel to make electricity to heat makes no sense at all, if that space heater is electric.

In our outages a Honda 2000 powers our furnaces , fridge, freezer, limited -lights. We had a longer shot down where we shut down those and ran washer and dishwasher once.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

We have a 3000 watt and it does not have enough jam to start the water well. Runs everything else but water is pretty essential!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW 120v Generator Industrial Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
We have a 3000 watt and it does not have enough jam to start the water well. Runs everything else but water is pretty essential!

Did we ever figure out why your start current seemed so High compared to others? Was it as simple as you had a much deeper well than most?

I have a point at my cottage and can pull water at full,pressure with my Honda, but it is only 10-12 meters or so
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: