Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barn Find Stories needed
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unobtanium-inc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Barn Find Stories needed Reply with quote

Hey everybody,
I write a Barn Find column in the Porsche 356 Registry magazine and was hoping to drum up some new stories, so if you have a good one please contact me and we can get pen to paper!

Thanks-
Adam
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Stories needed Reply with quote

Hey Adam,

Well this may not be a "barn" find but it certainly was one that was almost 3 yrs in the making.

A good friend of mine was telling me about this couple he went to visit on a weekend about 3 yrs ago. He mentionned the guy had a 356 motor in his basement. I inquired about the origin and found out they actually had the whole car. Anything that could be removed from it was in boxes in the basement and the body was at a body shop 100 miles away.

I would check in with them every once in a while to see if they had decided what they were going to do with the car. You see, the bodyshop that was doing the repairs, well it was going on 3 yrs and it still wasn't done.

So in early December 2015 while speaking with the owner on the phone he said he might sell. I went down to visit the following week to have a look a the parts. He had rebuilt the engine and trans, had bought much of the required new parts for suspension and brakes and had also started buying some of the exterior finish items in anticipation of the car coming back from paint. I was pleased with what I saw. I didn't have time to go look at the car in the body shop but had some pictures to go by. I thanked him for letting me look and we wished each other a merry christmas.

After the holidays we re-connected by phone and he said it was time. A number was discussed and agreed upon. And the next thing I know, i'm heading over to pickup the car with my son, brother and cousin to help.

As we loaded the parts, I couldn't help but think how cool it will be when I get this car back on the road and give a drive to the previous owners. You see, they are in their 70's and are very nice people. In fact, so nice that they threw in a few extras. They had stripped a late 60's 912 a few years ago and included those parts in the deal.

But the kicker was when the previous owners presented me with the original owners manual and key. It was an emotional moment for all of us.

So maybe not a barn find, but here's some details on the car.

Last plated was 1975. It's a 1965 356 SC coupe. Champagne Yellow with black interior which is still all original and in very good condition. Waiting for COA to confirm numbers matching. Speedo says 80,000 miles and previous owner confirmed it's original miles.

I certainly can't wait to get this one back on the road so I can give them their promised ride.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy your day.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
zjeska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Stories needed Reply with quote

How about some of your stories on how you found so many of the 356s you've ran across?
From what I've seen.....quite a few!!

Was it ads placed on CL? RSS feed off CL? Hemmings motor news? A network of spies?!? Smile
Ratjumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Stories needed Reply with quote

Does digging thisout of the garage concidered a barn find?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Stories needed Reply with quote

Hey, saw your story elsewhere. Keep the red car. Trust me. I have my dad's car. You will regret letting it go.
PD41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Barn Find Stories needed Reply with quote

Picked up a 1953 356 Coupe about 15 years ago sitting in a garage for 20+ years for $800. No motor and some mods done. It was missing many parts. Had a 52 that was crashed and rusted out also that I parted out about 15 years ago.

Been collecting many parts for years to restore it when I retire in 6 years. I've had a dozen 356's of the years. Wish I had kept them. Bought a 64 SC with a factory 6v sunroof in 1978 for $3200, Sold it in 1984 for $8500. Bought a 62 Cabriolet project once for $2500 and flipped it for $3500. Cars were cheap back then. Hindsight Rolling Eyes

Bought a pre a motor a few years ago for it. I have many extra parts but do not want to sell them till I start this 53 project.

Was a VW/Porsche mechanic 1978 - 84. Always loved these cars.
Found a 52 356 cabriolet for sale in the 80's for sale for $8000 but couldn't afford it. Used to sell VW and 356 parts at the Pomona swap meet in the early 80's. Back then I couldn't sell 356 doors for $200.

Looking for a 356 transmission, not looking to spend big bucks. Possible trades?
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: