Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Removed the gauges/switch and started to try and get rid of the decades of goo on the dash. Any suggestions? I've tried, Awesome, Simple Green, white vinegar with a scotchbrite and a tooth brush.

As you can see, there is a bunch to get off of there. Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Awesome.
I thought I had the only kellison XP1 on the east coast..
Mine is a never built body I've been sitting on for about 15yrs. Did the chassis (IRS) set the body on top, had a kid, and am just now getting back to building it.

GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

vwfye wrote:
Removed the gauges/switch and started to try and get rid of the decades of goo on the dash. Any suggestions? I've tried, Awesome, Simple Green, white vinegar with a scotchbrite and a tooth brush.

As you can see, there is a bunch to get off of there. Thanks!

Not sure what kind of "goo" you're referring to, but my primary goo remover is mineral spirits. It can take a little while, but doesn't evaporate too fast and you can keep soaking and working it. Also good on painted surfaces to remove excess trim adhesive or sticker residue. For the really tough stuff, acetone sometimes works the best.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Awesome.
I thought I had the only kellison XP1 on the east coast..
Mine is a never built body I've been sitting on for about 15yrs. Did the chassis (IRS) set the body on top, had a kid, and am just now getting back to building it.

I'm on the west coast Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Bought mine in Esperance NY in 2013. With. Sweet hard top too.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Ratt wrote:

Bought mine in Esperance NY in 2013. With. Sweet hard top too.

How is it to play in? Oh, do you have any side views?
jtime101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

I also have an XP-1 in NY just outside of Syracuse, here is a link to the build:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545533&highlight=

and a couple pics from this past summer

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

I would have never guessed, with the slope of the hood, that the windscreen would be so upright! Shocked
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

It's better than the alternative. The original window was made with a pivot. Kind of like the Thing. The windshield doesn't go all the way down. [/img]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Well, that seems silly.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

color wiring diagram done. Saturday we make the harness! Woot!!!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

After an examination of the buggy body, post pressure watch, I will be painting over the old color instead of trying to save it. There is LOTS of repair work needed and I have a gallon of New Holland Tractor Blue I can lay over it and the repairs.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Main loom done! Gauges and under dash left to do.

vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

I'm going to mount the gauges on aluminum panels in the dash recesses just for a bit of visual improvement.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Is that a water injection system?
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Yes it is. Gots to keep that intake air from the turbo cool.

That turbo set up is going on my 2275
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Is it the weekend yet? Man... this week is crawling. I just want the cage build to start already!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

Trailer hooked up. Pan and body secured. Seat and seatbelt in the tow rig. Ready for a cage!

Brian is stoked!
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

While the buggy is at the cage builder's place, I have been working on othe things.
I now have the front end, steering box and collapsible shaft for the steering in my possession. The transmission has been opened up to access the damage when it broke at the track in a different car. The only failure was the driver's side axle spade. The gear stack and the differential are good to go.

So, until the body/pan/cage return, I'm in a holding pattern.
GoMopar440
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kellison XP 1 Sandpiper Reply with quote

It's looking pretty good so far. I'd be stoked too. Cool

vwfye wrote:
I have a gallon of New Holland Tractor Blue I can lay over it and the repairs.

I really like that shade of blue. It looks fairly close to the rattle can color I'm using on my rail now. I want to use a real spray on paint when I build my replacement frame, not a rattle can job like I did on this one.

BTW, where did you happen to find that paint and how much is a gallon of it going for (ballpark) these days? It's probably a single stage paint like most tractor and implement paints right? I've heard that tractor/implement paints are more durable and a lot cheaper than two stage automotive paints and was wondering if there's any truth to that rumor.
Homemade rail for street & off road: BJ front beam (bent), IRS rear (boxed/maybe bent), stock T1 DP 1600, 009, 34PICT-3 (soon to be dual 40HPMXs), 4-1 glass pack exh, T3 brakes (F disk, R drum & Dual MC), Bug trans (002, 5 rib going in soon).
Link to my rail (re)build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=629493

Last edited by GoMopar440 on Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: