Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squareback tailgate question
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gutterslug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Squareback tailgate question Reply with quote

I'm wondering how the fast the tailgate on my 68 squareback is supposed to open.
If I open mine about a foot or so it will come flying up by itself if I don't hold it. A couple of times my buddy's have opened it not knowing you need to hold it and it comes flying up so fast that it bottoms out the hinges. I go to close it after and it hits the top of the drip rail and chips the paint off on it's way down because it has opened so fast it knocked the hinges out of adjustment.
It closes OK as long as I hold it until about the last foot.

Did they come from the factory like this or are my springs set up wrong?
For what it's worth the PO put a 70 tailgate on it.
Thanks!
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people are used to the modern shock type openers. Our Sqbk tail gates do not have those oil dampers, so they Have to be held. The only thing opening the hatch is a couple torsion bars, and they are not adjustable.
As for going out of adjustment when slammed open, check the torque on the bolt between the hinge arms, and the tailgate. You might want to put some star washers under the head of those bolts.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gutterslug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ. Cool

So has anyone done the gas-strut add-on with any success?

Just wondering before I start drilling holes in my car.
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your car is 37 years old and you're worried because this is working too well?

Hood struts last what a year, two?

I would learn to lift the gate by hand. But then I'm biased. I think hood struts suck.
winnetcom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear hatch on my 68 Squareback works very nicely, pretty much like original I guess. Pull it up about a foot and it stays, then a nudge gets it going up kind of in slow motion. Takes about 3 seconds, no stress on hinges. No hands necissary. Can't tell what makes it work...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: