Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
VEE DUB BOYS wrote:

Super pictures and great information. This to me seems difficult to do until
I think of hand building the top frame and deck lid

You found these inner panels of a vert. Maybe try to find a windscreen frame of one as well. It would have the right size and would save you a lot of work.
One of a Heb has small differences on top where the front woodbow meets it. But that is almost not visible and not importand for your project.

Best to look for an oval vert window frame. That is the easy part. The roofframe itself is a real piece of art and without a real one next to you, it is almost impossible to make one that works like on a real heb. AL the replica's have that issue... Body looks good, roof looks like trown over the car in a hurry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

I have the remains of a 54 convertible with usable windscreen frame.
I am still kicking myself for not buying a genuine Heb convertible
top mechanism back in 1994 for $500
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve in NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

I have 2 questions for you:

Where did you find a Heb conv roof assembly and do you have any other parts form the 54 conv.

Steve in NJ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

It was a Heb here in the states 20 years ago. I have rusty ribbed convertible doors and a rusty top frame
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

The 54 convertible windscreen frame is very useable for you.
The convertible doors not that much. Sedan doors are a better start for a Heb.
The top mechanism is very differend but some parts might be useable. So not everything would have to be made from scratch.
My original is still "naked" so I could support you with some pics.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Looks complicated, but I can make it. I believe Hebmuller made the frame for the top from flat metal and welded together. I also have 53-55 ribbed doors
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
Looks complicated, but I can make it. I believe Hebmuller made the frame for the top from flat metal and welded together. I also have 53-55 ribbed doors

You can make it but without a model, No....
Recon that the base where the frame is mounted on the body, is wider than the front windowframe. So the front is smaller but the hinges are all ligned up...
I made a buck to assemble the roof, and had an original frame as model. All parts are copied in paper, all bolts are drawn with the dimensions on, all iron is forged like original...
Even with the model it was not easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
You can also see the reinforcement tube laying just behind the windshield frame in this picture.

I do not know if these panels are offered anymore from Blech.
It's been a couple years since I saw the Dr. D parts offered on the Samba
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:

You can make it but without a model, No....
Recon that the base where the frame is mounted on the body, is wider than the front windowframe.
So the front is smaller but the hinges are all ligned up...
I made a buck to assemble the roof, and had an original frame as model.
All parts are copied in paper, all bolts are drawn with the dimensions on, all iron is forged like original...
Even with the model it was not easy.

I thought of modifying a Mazda Miata top frame until I could find or make a paper pattern of the original.
The Miata top frame is similar in size and shape. I found one reasonably priced at a local wrecking yard for $75.
I would need to fashion the header out of wood, but I have the necessary tools in my shop to do that.

Last edited by VEE DUB BOYS on Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

I have doubts that you will get anywhere near the original roofline and look if you use this .
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

usariemen wrote:
I have doubts that you will get anywhere near the original roofline and look if you use this .

Exactly. I will also have to bend the cross bows to the correct arch
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Back to the unusual body stiffeners of the Hebmuller. I do not know where I found this picture, but if it is yours please let me know and I will either take it down or give credit.
Hebster52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

I've started on my Vertframe the past week too… Wink

Here the mounts are done and testing the first CAD mockup. (Cardboard Assisted Design) Wink

The KidVRod project
The 356 Pre-A replica,SOLD
The 1966 Kommanderwagen, SOLD
The Doppel -67, SOLD
The Singlecab -72, SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
Back to the unusual body stiffeners of the Hebmuller. I do not know where I found this picture, but if it is yours please let me know and I will either take it down or give credit.

No credits here; I took that pict in austria in 2012 from an album with permision of the owner who restored his heb in the late 80s or early 90s. To bad the body nr is gone. It was restored with as much nos panels as possible.
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

It makes sense that you would have been the owner of the foto😎 Cheers Peter! It makes me nervous cutting my windscreen
Apart to add this stiffener. Thankfully, I have
Three windscreen frames to choose from.

Has anyone ever attempted pulling this apart successfully?
I have a good idea how to, but would like some input.
I'm sure about drilling the spot welds in the glass seal area, and
Fairly certain about peeling apart the hemmed rail,
but what about the top corner that is welded/leaded?
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Hebster52 wrote:
I've started on my Vertframe the past week too… Wink

Here the mounts are done and testing the first CAD mockup. (Cardboard Assisted Design) Wink

Off to a great start. Thanks for the fotos. I'm still trying to get to an original Heb 6 hours away to make my top frame patterns.
empiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Great project, I've been enjoying your progress, thanks for sharing !
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

VEE DUB BOYS wrote:
It makes sense that you would have been the owner of the foto😎 Cheers Peter! It makes me nervous cutting my windscreen
Apart to add this stiffener. Thankfully, I have
Three windscreen frames to choose from.

Has anyone ever attempted pulling this apart successfully?
I have a good idea how to, but would like some input.
I'm sure about drilling the spot welds in the glass seal area, and
Fairly certain about peeling apart the hemmed rail,
but what about the top corner that is welded/leaded?

I suggest that you leave it in one piece but cut both side beams nice about cm more... Just the outer skin, not the tube. This way, you can weld a new piece of pipe on the old one, put the cut of parts again and weld it all around, maybe you can add a metal tab on the inside to align it . If it is an oval frame, the tube is in it. When welded the cut of parts again, fill it with lead where it is needed... This is better than filler that cracks due to the forces on the frame. That is how I should do it on your project Laughing
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

Originally came from a 51 crotch cooler ragtop car that was T-boned in the driver side. It was left for dead in a creek to rot
for over 25 years, but many useful parts were pulled from it after being extracted from its resting place
VEE DUB BOYS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting to build my Heb. all steel replica Reply with quote

I

I'm starting to work on the fenders. It had peanut turn signals, so those are being welded shut and finished. I'm going to have to add conduit for the headlight wires. There is a noticeable difference in location for the way the wires come into the headlight bucket from the split and the later fender. The drain hole for the water is also larger on the later fenders, and will have to be modified.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: