Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Roll Cage Question
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PowermnaX4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

I really like this style of roll cage, I like the low profile and the sporty look. Are they available to purchase pre-fabricated? If not can anyone refer me to some plans so I can fabricate them myself?

Also, what size windshield fits in these roll cages? And how would I mount the windshield inside the cage without it's own window frame?

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Your 2nd picture actually has an aluminum windshield frame with a roll hoop behind it.

The other 2 have used a special mounting gasket that is something I too am hunting. I'm sure one of the brighter members will come to our rescue shortly....

I stand to be corrected but I believe most cages of this type are custom fabricated, either by the owner or a shop. I am not aware of any kits as there are too many variables.

(With way more projects than spare time!)
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Here is mine. Pardon the mess which is my buggy right now. I'm getting it ready for paint.
I did mine myself. (I have the tools.) If you notice, the very back tubes go thru the body and bolt to the engine cage. I figure it will all help to support each other. The grommets are intake manifold grommets cut down. Worked great!!
Check out my other pix if you like.
Hope this helps in some way.
Chaz

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Is this what you need to mount the windshield?
https://www.ebuggies.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1500
It's a Bugpack item so you might have to hunt for it.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Skulptorchaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Opps....sorry. I was going to post that as well. I was in a hurry and forgot. But that is what I used. They are for rails but, they fit nice against the dash too. You just have to cut it for the two dash corners. I black urethaned mine in. It's what they use for windshields. Good stuff. I was initially thinking of using a couple s.s.screws or pop rivets to help but, no need in mine. I got the glass cut to fit tight.
Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Power,
The pictures of the buggies you have posted were all made using Dave Barrett's www.manxchassis.com chassis and cages.
The cage is a integral part of the chassis.

Contact Dave, and see if he can help you out.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Dave Barrett welds a steel lip on the inner perimeter of the front roll cage hoop and mounts the glass to the lip with winshield sealer/adhesive

PowermnaX4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Power,
The pictures of the buggies you have posted were all made using Dave Barrett's www.manxchassis.com chassis and cages.

I was actually gonna purchase Dave's rolling tube chassis, but I didn't see that roll cage design as an option on this site, so I wasn't sure if he fabricated those as well. In terms of safely, stability, and technical know how, I don't feel confident to chop and shorten a pan, Dave Barrett explains the negatives of using a chopped pan pretty well on his site and promotion video.

As for fabricating a cage that bolts to the chassis through grommets in the body, that looks fairly tricky and difficult to get all the tubing to line up accurately. Dave has jigs and fixtures that insures all his chassis are square, straight, true, strong and safe. I might just save myself a lot of pain and frustration and just purchase one of his chassis.
PowermnaX4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Power,

I was actually gonna purchase Dave's rolling tube chassis, but I didn't see that roll cage design as an option on this site, so I wasn't sure if he fabricated those as well. In terms of safely, stability, and technical know how, I don't feel confident to chop and shorten a pan, Dave Barrett explains the negatives of using a chopped pan pretty well on his site and promotion video.

As for fabricating a cage that bolts to the chassis through grommets in the body, that looks fairly tricky and difficult to get all the tubing to line up accurately. Dave has jigs and fixtures that insures all his chassis are square, straight, true, strong and safe. I might just save myself a lot of pain and frustration and just purchase one of his chassis.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

PowermnaX4 wrote:
I was actually gonna purchase Dave's rolling tube chassis, but I didn't see that roll cage design as an option on this site, so I wasn't sure if he fabricated those as well. ...Dave has jigs and fixtures that insures all his chassis are square, straight, true, strong and safe. I might just save myself a lot of pain and frustration and just purchase one of his chassis.

If you're talking about his perimeter type chassis(below) which I believe he calls a "full tube", each one is custom built. You'll need to bring your buggy body to him, he constucts the chassis to fit around the specific body.

Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

This is fairly straight forward. I did this type of a thing years ago in a rail. Sorry no pics though. Going off an ol man's memory. I think I used 1×1 or 3/4×3/4 angle aluminum. Thin gauge. All you have to do is make multiple relief cuts at the radius. I kept the flat bottom piece seperate. Some of us, screwed the frame in some pop riveted. Any glass shop can make template and install in about an hr. No ureathane on ours,it was a "H" type of rubber gasket. We could remove windshield easily for paint, welding or repairs. The windshield frame wasn't visible from the front just backside. The gasket came all the way out to the frame tubes.
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
overdue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

LoopyAg02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Building my own tubing bender and purchasing dies. There are options for 90 deg and 180 deg. Not having experience with this, will I need anything greater than 90 deg for roll cage and bumpers?

I've been trolling the threads and can't seem to find any builds with more than 90 deg bends.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Be very careful when buying or building any kind of roll cage. Most of them are not designed with enough strength and integrity to protect your life in a serious street accident. Many are just fancy looking show bars and not life saving roll cages. It does not matter how light your Buggy is when building a roll cage. What you have to realize is the weight of that 5000 Lb. SUV that is crashing into your 1300 Lb. Buggy. There is a huge difference between rolling a Buggy in the sand dunes and crashing a Buggy into a concrete object. Just because something really looks cool DOES NOT mean it is built correctly with good engineering principals. I suggest reading a NHRA or other racing sanctioning body rulebooks for guidance.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

I have 90 degree dies, I would rather have 180's. it's up to you and how&what you want to build. also some 90 dies can bend 180 if you rotate them and some cant....currently as mine are made that cant I will remedy that flaw. have a look at a rail buggy and see somany more than 90 degrees.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

90 degree dies are all you really need unless you are going to do some trick stuff. I did all my cage with a 90 but did buy a 180 die for my 1" Dia tube. I used it for a little tube bumper in the front.

Check out my build in my signature if you want some ideas how to pass through fiberglass with out drilling big holes (And making it removable) it's one of many ways of doing it. My car does not creek, its ROCK solid. I am very happy with the results (10 point integral cage design tied in through out the entire car).

Cage material is as important as the design. I used 1.625 Dia .120 wall DOM seamless tubing. NHRA spec tube.

I was going to have someone build my cage, I soon realized it was going to be very close to the same price if I bought the bender, notcher and I bought bending software (I already had a mig welder). Now I have the equipment and have done a few other cars since.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

Go with 180* dies. If you're building a bender, build the best bender you can so the tool doesn't limit what you build.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peterd3060
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Roll Cage Question Reply with quote

my JD2 model 32 built from scrap pieces found on the intestate and the junk yard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: