Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 57 vert project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I torqued the front 4 cross member bolts and measured the gaps with feeler gauges in back. It just so happens to be 1/16 and 3/16 if I remember correct. The aluminum stock will give you perfect door gaps, no flexing with the rubber. I couldn't find the right thickness so I stacked. I'll find some correct thickness or Tig them together.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I am focusing on getting it running. I seem to always be waiting on something, you know how that goes. I checked the case bores torqued with a bore gauge and the lifter bores. Everything is good. I like to also check with plastigauge, triple check.
Running a Berg 86 crank with type 4 center and Porsche Journal Carrillo 5.5 rods. The cam only barely touches without clearancing. Running SS pistons so I can't show those with C pin height. The motor is narrow. I just changed from a Berg heavy pulley to a Jay Cee one. The heads I had weren't going to work so I am waiting on replacements.

Checking fitment with old heads. I am going to use Berg Tall manifolds but have them machined down a bit for lid clearance. Their shorts won't work with a Thing shroud, so this is my solution. The narrow motor wont work with DDS or Scat shorts, I tried.

The primer spots had holes. I have a cheap metal hole punch. Drill the holes out, tap the metal slugs in, weld, use cut off wheel to grind, mini belt sander, DA on both sides, done. You will never catch me screwing anything down that doesn't belong. I'll mount a bracket somewhere first or at least something easily replaceable.

I used a set of CB 1.4's. They measured out at 1.41 with the adjuster oil holes lined up. Top ones with the CB on it. Bottom one is their old style for comparison.

Last edited by jason on Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Cool
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Going to start on the rear driver bumper bracket area Monday after work. The PO stripped the forward threads so they drilled all the way through and put a bolt. It bent the metal up. I straightened it and then made the hole a bit bigger. Gonna make the patch and weld it in. I have to wait on some belts for my mini belt sander to finish it but I'll rough it out. Spot welder guy went crazy on the driver side.

Gonna finish removing this bracket and try to straighten it. If I can straighten it I will not use the replacement brackets I bought. Don't like the shape difference. If so I have to patch the driverside one.

This is a picture of the patch I put in the tray area. Not finished in the picture but only pic I have.

The J3 rails have the extra flap to remake the stock fold over

Some pics I found of the inner rockers. I had them blasted then I epoxied and painted them. The tear on the side is where a bead goes on jack support.

bugmandave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Those brake lines look like copper tubing.
'63 Karmann Cabriolet L54 Poppy Red
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

They are nickel/copper. Strong as steel but better for corrosion resistance. Apparently what highend cars are using and its brother.

I like the color. I tried to find the Din fittings in Stainless but couldn't. So those are regular Steel/Zinc
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Roughed it out, gets dark quick now.

My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Wow. Such nice work. I long to have a shop space where i can try, at least try to rebuild an old Beetle or Bus. Maybe I'll win Powerball this week!

Then ill quit my job and take some welding and metal working classes! Ive put many sets of floors in but this is another 10 levels beyond.

Looks like fun. !
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

When I did the type 3 rear brakes, cables needed some work.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632492&highlight=
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Worked on my rear apron a bit. Need to do other side now.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Got the other bracket off today and welded up the hole on the other. I will try to get them shaped like each other. If not I will use the replacements.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Spent some time on rear fender. Has the usual rust holes. Used a piece from Virtanen. The pressing is too good as it doesn't quite match. I also pounded everything back into shape. Need to still do the bracket though. I also need to cut the one back to match the rest of fender.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I thought I was done with my top, noticed a mangled area by the latch downs. Cut it out and replaced today. I try and do a few things everyday. I'd like to drive it again.

57dbldoorpanel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

jason wrote:
An electrician showed me the shop vac trick. I used it to fish a nylon pull string through mine.
The rails are from J3 restoration. He makes them to order from an NOS rail he made templates from

I contacted J-3 about the rails. They are no longer making them. He gave the plans to Gerson. Bummer. Was ready to have some made for my 59 euro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

That sucks, you try Gerson? I had a set of the old WW ones and they were pretty close. Only difference I noticed were the bottoms had little raised areas were the holes are and no reinforcement inside. You can easily add the reinforcement and flatten the raised area.
57dbldoorpanel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

jason wrote:
That sucks, you try Gerson? I had a set of the old WW ones and they were pretty close. Only difference I noticed were the bottoms had little raised areas were the holes are and no reinforcement inside. You can easily add the reinforcement and flatten the raised area.

I haven't contacted Gerson about the rails yet. I plan on it this week. I will do the WW rails if I have to and make the modifications. Those J-3 ones sure were nice though. Great job on your build so far!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I took a break today from the vert. I messed around with my panel. I put a new motor in it, messing with the jets. I got the new exhaust, rear bumper aligned and extended my radio delete plate.

aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I appreciate your tenacity and knowledge of how you are going about the build.I will be following closely. Your very talented
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

Been wet and out of town, not much done lately. Working on front and got some bolts for pan, Kamax.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 57 vert project Reply with quote

I had a hard time trying to clean out the old hood seal. I looked around and came up with this. It works really well. Jigsaw blade.

I have been working on the front now that the rails are done. I removed the clip and getting the other ready. I removed the doors and put my braces back on. The windshield post was easy to move. Trying to decide how far back to go. Probably take the sides off at the firewall. Circled all my dents. Shocked Grinding off the fender nuts too. They don't match the ones on the rear. I've spent a few hours already on it but I figured if I don't do it I can never open my trunk, OCD. Need to get it ready for the media blaster next week. I'll give it a fresh coat of epoxy while I can get to the insides.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: