Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the vehicle title requirements are for registering and providing proof of ownership of a vehicle in the State of North Carolina? ..or direct me to some other source that can provide this for me? Thanks
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

NCDOT: Home
www.ncdot.gov/

North Carolina Department of Transportation

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Are you trying to register a modern car or an antique/collector car? The only paperwork you need for either one is the title. If the modern car is 1994 or newer, it would be subject to the annual safety and emissions inspection (the first year is waived for vehicles coming from out of state). If older than 1994 but newer than 35 years old then it only requires a safety inspection (there again waived the first year if coming from out of state). Vintage or antique vehicles have no safety or emissions inspection BUT will require a full cavity search at the license & theft department where they check the VIN, transmission & engine #s against a data base for stolen vehicles. They also take pencil tracings of these #s & a photograph of the vehicle for records. If any of these come back as stolen, the vehicle is either confiscated or the stolen components are removed at the on site shop (at least the local one).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

1964 VW, not running. I'm selling it to a guy in NC, and need to understand what kind of documentation he'll need to have in order to title / register it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Then title only. A bill of sale wouldn't hurt but not required. You would only need to do the necessary paperwork to import into the country & make sure the title is signed by the owner EXACTLY as the name is written on the title FULL first name, middle (no abbreviations), and last (even though that is not how you normally sign your name) AND notarized if necessary on your title.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

The cavity search would be enjoyed by the new owner.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

And as a non-running vehicle, the title would be branded as non-op & would require another visit to the license & theft division once it running/driving.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

This is where some of the confusion arises: here in Canada we don't have vehicle 'titles' ....we have a Bill of Sale (agreement between seller and buyer). That is sufficient (even if its written on the back of a napkin) to take to a license issuer and have them issue a Vehicle Registration form, and a license plate. Since this vehicle is inoperable, I have never had it 'registered / licensed' ...all I have is the Bill of Sale from when I purchased it from the previous owner ....who also never had it registered. As far as I know, it hasn't been licensed for 30 years or more. So, is a "bill of sale", with my signature, the equivalent of a "title" ...?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

NC requires a proper title, without it, the process is even more difficult. There are ways to get one by doing a "bonded title" or there is someone on another thread that walks you through how to get one (in Vermont maybe). I dislike the out of state process so much that I rarely go that route, I refuse to get involved with a no title situation (with the DMV, if the vehicle or any part is stolen, you are guilty until proven innocent). Your car must be one hell of a deal or extremely rare for someone to through all the hoops to transport, import, and title from that distance.

windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Your car must be one hell of a deal or extremely rare for someone to through all the hoops to transport, import, and title from that distance.

's what I was thinking, I've always passed on vehicles with no title, much less importing one as such.
Though, at least in this case there's a legitimate reason for it to have no title.

I'd call a NC DMV License and Theft location and ask.
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/licensetheft/
If you know which county they're in call that one, otherwise the Avent Ferry branch in Wake Co. would be as good as any.
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/locations.html?term=Wake%...nse,lt,irp
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

You guys are talking in 'riddles' here .....is a "title" the same as a "bill of sale"??
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
Your car must be one hell of a deal or extremely rare for someone to through all the hoops to transport, import, and title from that distance.

's what I was thinking, I've always passed on vehicles with no title, much less importing one as such.
Though, at least in this case there's a legitimate reason for it to have no title.

I'd call a NC DMV License and Theft location and ask.
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/licensetheft/
If you know which county they're in call that one, otherwise the Avent Ferry branch in Wake Co. would be as good as any.
http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/locations.html?term=Wake%...nse,lt,irp

If you call, you'll need to call before 10:00 or 11:00 am ( I forget which), all of the inspectors start making their rounds after that & you might not get anyone that knows the system (if even then). The last time I had to go there the inspector couldn't tell the difference between a gas & a Diesel engine, with the diesel steadily clacking away.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is an example of a NC issued title, most states require one or some semblance there of , think of it as a deed for a vehicle. It is not the same as a bill of sale.

Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. The guy I'm selling the bug to would have to get this "Title" document ....its not something I'd have to supply. So ...what info does my buyer need from ME, so he can go and apply for a Title in his name?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

If he doesn't know the process & he isn't the one making the effort to research it, he really shouldn't be contemplating purchasing a non running vehicle from another country.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

I'm sure there is some sort of paperwork necessary to import the vehicle from Canada along with duty fees before it gets into the country, have either of you researched that yet?

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Just to offer you some general clarity.

In the States you have a title to a vehicle to prove ownership. Many states do not recognize anything other than a title. So when you sell a car in the States you sign the back of the title and the new owner takes that signed title and applies for a new title in his name from his state.

Without a signed title (not a bill of sale) many states do not recognize your true ownership in the vehicle and therefore do not allow the transaction to occur.

Now as one poster mentioned their may be other ways to get this done via the import/export rules of Canada. Although I think importing older cars from Canada that are "parts" (ie: non-operational) is not that difficult. I brought an old kit car in from Canada and I just had to fill out some paperwork.

So to generally answer your question......I think it might be very hard for the new buyer to title the car in NC without a signed title from you. That being said...if you sell it to him with a Bill of Sale stating that "All title and registration requirements are the sole responsibility of the buyer" and he assumes that risk then sell away.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

All good points. Thanks. The point I was trying to make is, we don't have an equivelant document to your "Title" document. The closest would be our "registration" document (when cops stop you here in Canada, they ask you for your Drivers License, and Registration) ....which I can't provide because the vehicle is not registered / licensed.

The importation documents will be the responsibility of the buyer, so not too concerned there.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Out of curiosity I did an internet search for "Canada Automobile Title" and the very first link that came up answered your questions, and even said what documents need to be supplied by both parties to import a Canadian vehicle into the US.

Give it a try!

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vehicle title requirements in North Carolina Reply with quote

Appreciate the response, but it was not really helpful. Using that search "canada automobile title" brings up all sorts of inconclusive information ..in the first dozen or so links. You might as well have said: "you can find the information on the internet". And, of course, I already knew that (and had tried that).

We have a similar situation up here as you guys down south: you have 50 states, we have 10 provinces. And, like down there, every province does things a little differently ....so, what applies in Ontario (for example) will not necessarily apply in Saskatchewan, etc. etc. (and in this case, does not)

I found a phone number for Transport Canada, and will try calling again tomorrow. (you would not believe how incredibly difficult it is to find a phone number for federal government department up here, and then find an English-speaking human being to talk to!) One of the basic questions to ask: am I exporting a car to the USA, or is the US buyer importing a car from Canada? Simple as that sounds, I still haven't had a clear answer on that!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: