Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sheet Metal Gauge for Patch
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69Weekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Sheet Metal Gauge for Patch Reply with quote

Hi,
I am teaching myself to weld this weekend and would like to know what gauge sheet metal I should use for a patch in my driver's side rear panel.
Any input or tips would be great, thanks!
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4
Past:
01 Honda Insight, 06 Beetle TDI, 77 Toyota, 96 Geo Metro, 06 Tacoma, 13 Jetta Wagon, 05 Jetta, 96 Corrado VR6
Other ICE Machinery: Alco 251F 16v & 8v
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet Metal Gauge for Patch Reply with quote

Practice on 22ga. Its real thin and if you can master that after a bit. You should be able to handle body panels. I believe that body panel thickness is 20ga and pans are 18ga. If I'm wrong I'll get corrected shortly.
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet Metal Gauge for Patch Reply with quote

Teaching yourself to weld and patching your vw are two different things. I would not suggest learning to weld on anything thinner than 20 gauge and that should be close to the gauge of your patch as well. A project is Not a good time to learn to weld. After you can weld somewhat ,then prepare yourself for the project. Go someplace that sells surplus or wholesale metal and buy $35 worth. After you consume that metal practising , plan on how you will do your repair.
danny gabbard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet Metal Gauge for Patch Reply with quote

What kind of welding are you doing ?? Plus the thinner the material your welding , The smaller Dia rod you want to use . Try putting a magnifier in your welding helmet . The better you see , the faster you can react . BUT !! practice on same thickness of material before welding on your project !!! Be patient !!
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet Metal Gauge for Patch Reply with quote

I taught myself to weld with my Eastwood MIG welder and I went to the Lincoln Welding Foundation and bought a bunch of metal kits to practice on. The kits are precut pieces of metal and if you order 10 kits they are $4.50 per kit. I ordered 10 and just welded away to get the feel of the unit.

http://www.jflfoundation.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=METAL

Money well spent if you ask me!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: