Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Try a WTB ad on Craigslist. That's how I found my 16" CLKs. I'd been looking and they were rarely coming up and the ones that did were too costly or distant. I got two responses to my ad; the first was like the others and the second was in the range I wanted to pay and was here in town. Include a photo in your ad so sellers know exactly the wheel you are looking for.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I just bought a set of 4 Nokian eNTYRE 2.0 in size 215/55/R17 from Discount Tire ($110.00/tire). I am waiting for them to arrive, but after tax (9.x%) and mounting the total cost for the wheels will be $554.xx

My goal was to keep the tire close to stock diameter (to avoid power loss); these tires have an XL 98 load rating. The next cheapest option (based on my looking) was to buy from "Tires by web" ($117 tire, free ship no tax)..but I know that the cheapest I can get a tire mounted in my area is $30/tire so...discount proved to be the way to go for me.

There are a lot of other options available in the 17" size, if you increase the diameter of the tire you can get tires in the more preferred load range (for westies) of 101 and 102 ...but I didn't want to lose anymore power than needed.

Hope that helps.

bobbyblack wrote:
I think these look good, but I want 16" ... Anyway, someone in the middle of the USA might think they would work for them. Unless someone can steer me to proper tires for a 17" x 7.5" on a '87 Westy

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/wto/5400246606.html

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

dsdunbar,

So, the "whole project" is going to include the install of an EJ22. I was looking forward to tires with a 750'ish revs per mile. I think that is a little more diameter than 'stock'. What did yours end up having?
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Since I am stock everything I was limiting my searches for tires to the data that Kamz provided in the first post of the tire thread...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507&start=0

So the setup of your van will impact your choice...

As for the 215/55R17 using the following tire calculator, the revs are: 790.5

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator/

Tire size change tolerances:
(courtesy of Jon_slider)
0-5% > stock, factory engine (90hp or less)
5-10% > Good: Subaru 2.2 (137hp); Better: Subaru 2.5 (160hp)
10-15% > Subaru SVX (220hp); VW 1.8T (180hp chipped to 200hp)

0-5% > stock springs okay
9% and above > lift springs required
15% > shaving of trailing arm lip required

Three largest stepped tire sizes and their requirements:
(courtesy of Jon_slider)
1) 27x8.5x14 (26.8" diameter, 778 rotations, 5% oversize): Largest size that fits stock spare tire clamshell, but top bars must be removed and a steering shaft guard is recommended.

2) 215/75-15 (27.8" diameter, 748 rotations, 9% oversize): Will only fit stock spare location if pan is modified by cutting the sides, and/or by adding an extension to the front bolt, causing tire pan to hang down in front more than stock (top bars must be removed, and a steering shaft guard is recommended).

3) 225/75-16 (29.3" diameter, 710 rotations, 15% oversize): Requires lift springs, rear spare tire carrier, modified trailing arm, and engine power upgrade.

Cheers
-dsd

bobbyblack wrote:
dsdunbar,

So, the "whole project" is going to include the install of an EJ22. I was looking forward to tires with a 750'ish revs per mile. I think that is a little more diameter than 'stock'. What did yours end up having?

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

dsdunbar,

Rock solid info there. Good, clear, and well stated. Much appreciated.

Indeed, I was looking at the Spare rack mods today as well. So many angles to consider. Keeping everything sorted out, in a way that my desires don't overrun my abilities is paramount. Keeping my order of operations in their proper context and not letting an out-of-order operation derail my overall goal is what I need to keep in mind.

Thank you.

-bobbyblack
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

The want is strong for some Porsche wheels....
robert reese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

hello ,I'm looking at some rims from a mb. 1990 190 15 inch et 49 7'' x 25 infor from sale person. I have searched and read but I still need help!!! Will these wheels work on my westy? thanks for all the help
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

robert reese wrote:
hello ,I'm looking at some rims from a mb. 1990 190 15 inch et 49 7'' x 25 infor from sale person. I have searched and read but I still need help!!! Will these wheels work on my westy? thanks for all the help

I assume you have a 2wd Westy? You can use those wheels, but they are not a direct bolt on. You will need spacers front and rear, new front lug bolts, new rear wheel studs and new rear lug nuts. You will also need to drill the lug holes out to 37/64".

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have found a set of factory 2011 jeep wrangler 17" wheels on local cl ad. I have seen these wheels on the syncro christopher put a pic of on here and want to ask you want do i have to do to mount these on my 84' westy.
'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Live to love and love to live but don't forget to give the love and love to give
mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I have found a set of factory 2011 jeep wrangler 17" wheels on local cl ad. I have seen these wheels on the syncro christopher put a pic of on here and want to ask you want do i have to do to mount these on my 84' westy.
'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Live to love and love to live but don't forget to give the love and love to give
mattmcbroom
Samba Member

'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:

Unfortunately, the Jeep wheels aren't a good choice for a 2wd. They work okay in a Syncro, but the 2wd has completely different front hubs that cause interference with the Jeep wheels. If you want to have the center bores of the Jeep wheel machined to a larger diameter, then we could make then work.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Would it be difficult for a local machine shop to bore out the 4 wheels? Thats not a lot to ask for if the bolt right on after that. I would need adapters too but that is just a matter of forking out a few hundred for all that to happen. I have found the 17s for 40 buck. There are thousands of jeepers here so the value of factorys are way down.
'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These wheels are from a local friend with an 84' westy and he claims they came with the van he bought but were not actually on the van. Im curious if anyone has seen these and if they will fit if so what needs to be done.

This is my van now and it has factory steelies with 27×9.5 super swamper ssr.
They are my winter/low gas prices tires and i am on the hunt for a summer set up.
I own a damn near brand new set of 195/75r14 bfg at but am having a tough time negotiating with myself to buy more 14s to fit the bfg to. I vould trade the bfg at for the 15s my local friend has but idk if its gonna be worth it as i dont need any more headache.
'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:
Would it be difficult for a local machine shop to bore out the 4 wheels? Thats not a lot to ask for if the bolt right on after that. I would need adapters too but that is just a matter of forking out a few hundred for all that to happen. I have found the 17s for 40 buck. There are thousands of jeepers here so the value of factorys are way down.

Nope, not at all! Machine shops usually charge around $150 to bore all four wheels. If you have the front side of the of the center bore machined to diameter of 74.2mm to a minimum depth of 20mm (leaving the factory 71.5mm center bore diameter near the hub side of the center bore), you could use a set of our custom center caps to clear the hubs.

mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

IF i choose the jeep 17s.. i will need 5×127 to 5×112 adapters plus the bore of hub done and that is it?? No wheel spacerz needed or studs to replace?
'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:

These wheels are from a local friend with an 84' westy and he claims they came with the van he bought but were not actually on the van. Im curious if anyone has seen these and if they will fit if so what needs to be done.

Those are Eurovan wheels - 15x7 ET46. In order to run them, you would need to have the center bores opened up to 66.56mm to a minimum depth of. You will need spacers front and rear, new front lug bolts, new rear wheel studs and new rear lug nuts. The only real issue to be concerned about is that the center caps will not fit.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:
IF i choose the jeep 17s.. i will need 5×127 to 5×112 adapters plus the bore of hub done and that is it?? No wheel spacerz needed or studs to replace?

Yes, a set of adapters will get you on the road. No new studs, no spacers.
We can build you a set of hubcentric (very important) adapters that will fit perfectly. Just send me an email to the address in my signature if you are interested.

mattmcbroom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Well then those euro wheels wont work for me because they're too much work haha.

So im gonna pull trigger on jeep 17s and sell the bfg at tires. I will be in contact with t3 soon as i have wheels bored. I will order the caps and if you supply the adapter i need ill gladly shop those through you as well. Thanks so much
'78 Yamaha xs650 special
'85 vanagon gl
'92 volvo 240 sedan
'01 saab 9-5
'97 awd Astro

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

mattmcbroom wrote:
Well then those euro wheels wont work for me because they're too much work haha.

So im gonna pull trigger on jeep 17s and sell the bfg at tires. I will be in contact with t3 soon as i have wheels bored. I will order the caps and if you supply the adapter i need ill gladly shop those through you as well. Thanks so much

Cool!

I forgot to ask you which 17" Jeep wheels you were working with? I have mounted two different styles of Jeep wheels onto Vanagons, both 2wd and Syncros. The five spoke ones that are on my Syncro are the ones that I was referring to above when I mentioned that they need machining. However, the five spoke ones that I mounted on my 2wd do not require machining.

These Jeep wheel need machining for use on a 2wd, but not a Syncro:

These Jeep wheels do not meed machining:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 125, 126, 127 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Jump to:
Page 126 of 174

Jump to: