Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inca Red formula
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Inca Red formula Reply with quote

Does Inca Red have metallic in it? Trying to figure out if I can do single stage. Also anyone have the formula. I want to get RM or Glasurit.
Big Fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Inca Red formula Reply with quote

Hello,
I too am trying to find a formula and/or original paint for ica red color match. Even if someone had an original paint inca red sedan that I could look at. I am working on my fathers 58 vert and it was original inca red. Looking to repaint. Thanks for your time!!!
Freddie
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Inca Red formula Reply with quote

Big Fred wrote:
Hello,
I too am trying to find a formula and/or original paint for ica red color match. Even if someone had an original paint inca red sedan that I could look at. I am working on my fathers 58 vert and it was original inca red. Looking to repaint. Thanks for your time!!!
Freddie

If you have a clean paint section under the dash, inside of a door or under the hood....take the car (even if you have to tow it) to any dealer level paint shop.

They can match it simply by reading it with their hand held spectrophotometer/colorimeter. ALL of them use one of these. Every serious paint shop does.

This device uses a controlled light source, bounces a light off of the color in a closed environment with no outside light contamination...and breaks it down to a set of coordinates in a three dimensional color universe (like CIE L*a*b* or CIE 2000) that comprises all perceivable colors...to an accuracy of about 0.5 Δe. The human eye can only discern color changes to about 3Δe.

Where you run into problems....is in translating that color result to actual paint. Because.... the software then translates that coordinate to the pre-programmed ingredients to mix that color....made out of ONLY the 20-30 single pigment, clean mixing colors that are used in whatever paint system that shop has decided to use as their "go-to" paint brand.

The mixing colors and pigments are different from brand to brand...sometimes by only a small amount..sometimes by a lot.

So for example a color made in a PPG paint originally...may not be exactly matchable in say...a Glasurit paint line. Also many pigment additives are natural...dug out of the ground...or are ground up polymers. They change somewhat with every master batch....and over time

Also...many of the pigments from even 15 years ago that relied on heavy metals like chrome and lead....are no longer readily available.

So...if its critical that you MUST have an exact match...you may do best to start with the original paint manufacturer...and even then you will have some differences.

But the gist is...especially with reds, greens and grays....you should go have the paint matched with a spectro to get as close as possible. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Inca Red formula Reply with quote

I do not think Inca red was metallic
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Inca Red formula Reply with quote

Inca red...was a metallic of sorts. Not as "metallic" as these days.

It was listed on the PpG Ditzler charts are "poly"...meaning "polychromatic"...so it had some metallic luster/color shift.

A paint like that would be very hard to nail dead on in today's paints.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/chipdisplay.cgi?year=1...amp;page=1

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: