Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW model build topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VolkDubz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: going overboard with resin casting parts Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
OK, I have been going overboard with resin casting parts the last couple of months. I had not done any in decades, so it was good to get back to it. I made some silicone molds and started casting engine parts.
L to R
Testors Porsche 356 Carrera 4 cam engine
Polar Lights bug 36hp engine
Revell VW Street Machine engine

I really like that the Polar Lights bug has the heater box sleds, it is a nice detail missing from all the other engines I have seen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have wanted to build a split window bug in 1:24 scale, but I have never seen 1. I finally found the Mr. Hobby Oval window bug, got it from Japan, I cannot find it here.

I added the split window center section, then made a silicone mold of the back of the car, then a resin casting of that, then started cutting the back out of the Revell VW Street Machine. Should be cool. I have not decided on color yet.

like the castings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pj.olsson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

here is my finally finished Model of an 1966 VW Bug Export from Tamiya in 1/24 scale!

Tell me, what do you think! Lokks good?

Greetings from Germany,

Pj.
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

great job with the chrome trim and the 1300 decklid label, very nice
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Looks good. Better then mine. It's a lot harder then it looks, huh?

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Looks sporty with no hubcaps.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

This looks like its going to be a fun and big build!

1/16 Scale Samba

http://www.revell.de/en/products/model-building/cars/young-oldtimer/id/07009.html
terry66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Hi volkaholic1, are you actually selling your beetle resin engines ? They look cool 👍
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

terry66 wrote:
Hi volkaholic1, are you actually selling your beetle resin engines ? They look cool 👍

Yes for $5 each with your choice of dual Solex or Weber carburetors. Cool

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1851644
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Any suggestions on making a headliner? I know of medical tape or the flocking route. Was curious what else is out there. Ty.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

I simply use paint, but I rarely work larger than 1/25 scale.

Heinz Nordhoff
usmc1345
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Same here 1/24 and 1/25. Paints an option but i m looking for that fabric look. Actual fabric might be an option also lol
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

It has taken over one year to get to this point, but I am nearly finished with my Revell 1965 Station Wagon re-build. Viewers can look back on page 12 to see what I started with, and some of my early progress. The hardest part to this re-build was getting the alignment correct, or as close to correct as possible, since most of the alignment pins did not survive the take apart phase. I had to rework the doors and front hinges at the end to get them to open, and more importantly, to close properly. I still need to touch up some of the paint on the beltline.

Even though this took countless hours and there were many redo’s along the way, I truly enjoyed this as it reminded me of my own 1965 21 window station wagon that I bought after high school and drove for 12 years after that. My goal was to keep this as close to stock as possible and to use every piece from the original build, no matter what condition it was at the start.

I tried to match the two tone salt & pepper interior of the 65 model. I also moved the stick shift and parking brake forward as their position in the Revell model reflects an earlier vintage. Someone was generous enough to give me a steering wheel; unfortunately it was dished whereas the steering wheel that came in the 65 station wagon was flat. Fortunately, I was able to modify it. Also, those are the original windshields and skylights, I was able to polish all of the glue off and reuse them.

I did add some detail to the engine compartment but it is hard to see here. I’ll see if I can get a better picture in the future.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Very, very cool, thanks for the update
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

awesome model restoration, great work!
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Fantastic restoration of 50-year-old plastic model kit! That's a beautiful display piece. I especially like the bumper placement. I suggest Bare Metal Foil for the door handles, beltline trim and rocker panel strips.

Heinz Nordhoff
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Fantastic restoration of 50-year-old plastic model kit! That's a beautiful display piece. I especially like the bumper placement. I suggest Bare Metal Foil for the door handles, beltline trim and rocker panel strips.
X2 also paint the window seals
jack1448
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind comments and suggestions. I did use bare metal foil for the interior chrome accents, as well as on the hub caps (after removing the excess glue most of the 'chrome' shine was gone). I had tried to add metal foil on the belt line trim unfortunately the detail was covered under several coats of paint (the result of paint problems that I experienced) and I wasn't happy with the results. I guess after all these years I still need to learn and relearn a few things.

Here is a shot after I adjusted the paint alignment on the belt line. I also painted the tail lights (hard to see here) and added metal foil to the door handles all around. I also included a shot of the engine taken during the build. So I think that is about it for this one; now I need to decide which model to start next.

I found some pictures of my 1965 21-window microbus and scanned them in. I wrote on one of the pictures '20 years old!'so I guess this is how she looked in 1985.

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

the engine turned out really nice, excellent work!
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

My latest build,, This is not technically a VW, but I feel it is close enough. It is a Porsche 550 Spyder. It is a mid-engined aluminum bodied race cars. These are famous because James Dean was killed in one September 30, 1955 driving home from a race on California. This model is actually a resin casted body and chassis by Jimmy Flintstone and has been finished with parts from the Testors Porsche 356. You cannot buy an actual plastic model of the 550, that I why I picked up the resin cast version from ebay. The body is silver, with holes cut in the body to let the carburetor velocity stacks point out. Maybe not factory, but it looks cool. The chassis is “industrial green” to give it an old school look. The brush strokes show up in the pics, but not in real life, oh well! Note that I added reinforcements and braces to duplicate the actual factory parts. Brakes are wide 5 finned aluminum drums. Seats are supposed to be red leather. I really like how the seat belts turned out, they are thin strips of aluminum foil painted brown like leather, then finished with photo-etched buckles. I added the spare tire mount, along with matching 3 point buckle. I added an oil cooler to the front and ran oil lines in actual little mounting blocks back to the engine. The engine is a Carrera 4 cam twin plug version, running dual distributors off of the upper head cam shafts. Aluminum distributors and spark plug wires are by Parks Parts. I also reversed the carb linkage, just like factory. I made little jack stands that are color matched to the engine stand. Finally, also built a 2nd Carrera 4 cam engine just for the display. Both engines are resin castings from silicone molds. I got about six months invested in this thing.

Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW model build topic Reply with quote

Very nice job. I like how it uses kitbashed pieces from the Testors 356.

Heinz Nordhoff
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 60

Jump to: