Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color change - Mistake?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

Please keep us informed with lots of pics.
I can't wait till you tear into it and show what's hiding under all that shiny paint.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

harryv wrote:
The welding needs tor be done in order to see it through and keep my family safe.

If family safety is really your concern, I wouldn't put them in a bus at all. No amount of welding will make a flat nosed 55 year old tin box safe.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harryv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

Safety is important to the point where the front beam is still attached to the bus when I brake and the floor pan doesn't fall off as I go around a corner. I'm happy with the safety of a fully restored bus.
Thanks

WHUFC.
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

harryv wrote:
Safety is important to the point where the front beam is still attached to the bus when I brake and the floor pan doesn't fall off as I go around a corner. I'm happy with the safety of a fully restored bus.
Thanks

driven in some way rustier buses off road and never even heard of a "floor pan falling off from taking a corner"

post some pictures of the horrid unsafe frame stuff .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
harryv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

I was slightly over exaggerating with the floor pan story it was a comment in reference to not wanting a death trap due to someone covering up and hiding bad work.
As soon as u get to the garage I'll post up as it progresses through

WHUFC.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
harryv wrote:
The welding needs tor be done in order to see it through and keep my family safe.

If family safety is really your concern, I wouldn't put them in a bus at all. No amount of welding will make a flat nosed 55 year old tin box safe.
^^^^Very true

Driving an old bus with no seatbelts is only a small step up in safety from a motorcycle. Might as well be a motorcycle with a roll cage. There are too many distracted, rude, don't give a shit about anyone on the road except themselves drivers out there. I envy those bus owners that live in sparcly populated area.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
harryv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

I know there not the safest and as a family we have had many buses over the years. I completely agree there not the best advert for road safety but the minimum an owner can do is make sure the mechanics, brakes and problem areas are sorted before putting anyone in it.
I want to know it will stop when I say so and not leave us stranded in the middle of no where. It's just good ownership to keep on top of things. We just want to enjoy it, drive it and make memories in it that last a life time. By spending a few quid to achieve a solid bus is nothing in comparison to the face of 2 kids on a road trip looking out of a time capsule.
The bus is staying in og colours/colors and will be with us for a long time.

I will create a build thread to show the progression and I hope you join me as we go!

WHUFC.
DonKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

The original premise of this thread is that you wanted input on what you should do to maximize (not lower) the value of the bus in regards to color selection. So obviously you are in the mindset of wanting to make intelligent decisions in regards to investing in your bus.

That being said.......

IMHO the best thing you could possibly do, from a financial standpoint, is sell your bus as it sits and "take down to bare metal" something else.

Your bus as it sits is VERY presentable and most VW collectors would kill to have a 23 that looked that nice in their garage. Even if it does have some issues.

I am sure you could probably easily get $75,000+ USD for your bus as it sits. I would then try to find a project for under $50,000 USD and use the difference of $25,000 - $45,000 on your "bare metal" restoration.

Otherwise you are just digging out of your pocket from Day One of your restoration.

A $25,000 - $45,000 head start on a restoration will go a long way.

Best of luck!!
harryv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

Many thanks for and again all valid points!

My intention was to eventually own a 23 and now I have it. I can't see the point selling it.

I have traded 4 vans to get to where I am now including a very rare barndoor sc. the focus is now on getting this 23 to where I want it. I only wanted to know thoughts on colour changes and I have taken all those comments on board and have chosen to stick OG.

Many thanks and God bless!

WHUFC.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Color change - Mistake? Reply with quote

very good!

beige grey/sealingwax red is a beautiful color combination, and goes MUCH better with your grey/grey interior. The chesnut/red would not look very good with the OG interior.

keep us updated!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: