Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 nose cone on 62 trans?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

went to inspect the front trans mount before replacement. The PO must have done some work (ha!) Two nuts are loose!
1.--Were there supposed to be washers under the nuts?
2.--Is the nose cone OK? (holes look a bit rounded out)
3.--What is the small threaded hole pictured? Is there something missing?

Better shot of threaded hole.

Is it a 67 nose cone on a 62 trans? This appears to be a reverse light switch.
Could it be a 67 trans?

Here's a shot from Clara's gallery of a 67 cone on an earlier trans, with a reverse switch. The one on mine is filthy, but I can feel the contacts under the grease Wink

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Well not good to have those stud holes wallowed out. Probably better to replace next time you have out the transaxle.

From Clara's image you are missing a hex headed part there. You can figure out which part through the type 2 parts manual here:

http://oacdp.org/aboutdoc.html

You are also missing the transaxle to body ground strap.

Only difference between the nose cones from MAY59 thru JULY67 is the front mount had smaller studs and later larger ones, and the latter halve or 1967 model year had the reverse switch.
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

I have a ground strap, you can see it in the second photo. Also have a new one to replace it. Also--- http://oacdp.org/aboutdoc.html wasn't much help.
Do they make an aftermarket reverse switch?

So, what is this bolt for? It is what's missing on my nose cone.

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

The late 67 reverse switch nose cone bolts right on the earlier tunnel case trannys.
If that is in a 62, either someone swapped nose cones, or swapped the tranny out from a late 67.
I've swapped over nose cones to put reverse lights on earlier buses. If you don't want reverse lights, just leave the switch in as a plug and ignore it.
You can buy brand new reverse light nose cones.
You can buy new reverse light switches. Same switch is used in my 69 beetle. In fact, when the reverse switch in my beetle failed, I took one out of a bus trans nose cone.

I'm not sure what the missing bolt/plug underneath does, might look in the workshop manual in the tranny section. It might help keep oil in, though. how's your oil level?

Ya, I'd put washers under the nuts and snug the nuts down to 20ft lbs.
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Mahalo for all the advise. I'm surprised that no one has ID'd that plug/bolt in Clara's photo. Now where did I put my Bentley---------------------------?
Gett'n old Laughing

Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Looks like the bolt that secures the mainshaft bearing.
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:

Is it # 4 in this diagram?? Green circle??

Some answers gleaned from an internet search------------------------?

111 301 115 DETENT PLUG interlock plunger plug, 1 per housing(online description)

The bottom hole is for the Reverse detent ball (per another post)

Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

I might be mistaken, I remember a bolt that retains the pinion needle bearing in the later transmissions. I could not find a picture. You might ask in the transmission forum.
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:

From the Performance engine/ transmission forum--------------

Quote:
It locates the small pinion shaft bearing. Keeps it from spinning.
8x1.25 pitch. I forget the length but it has a non threaded tip, about 6mm in diameter and equal length that locates in a hole in the outer bearing shell.

quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Those wallered out holes in the nose cone would bother me. Proper nuts, non wallered out nose cone, washers, torqued properly, is peace of mind
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Mile High Puma wrote:
I might be mistaken, I remember a bolt that retains the pinion needle bearing in the later transmissions. I could not find a picture. You might ask in the transmission forum.

Any idea where I can get one, other than from another transmission?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Did you try a WWW search with the part number? Have had good luck doing that.

Other way would be to contact any reputable transaxle rebuilder.....
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Did you try a WWW search with the part number? Have had good luck doing that.

Other way would be to contact any reputable transaxle rebuilder.....

Using your link, I found this--(111-301-115)--Which doesn't look correct.
https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000205/1001279

Another suggestion was this----looks better, but it was $35 to ship Shocked

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000201/1001380

A used one, might be my best bet.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

[quote="ritchiet002"]
Eric&Barb wrote:

Another suggestion was this----looks better, but it was $35 to ship Shocked

https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000201/1001380

A used one, might be my best bet.

VW 113 311 141.

That one is for the operating shaft bushing on the left side of the bell housing and looks like the same used to lock the needle bearings inside the transaxle.

If you or a friend have a spare transaxle just pull the one for operating shaft.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
The late 67 reverse switch nose cone bolts right on the earlier tunnel case trannys.
If that is in a 62, either someone swapped nose cones, or swapped the tranny out from a late 67.
I've swapped over nose cones to put reverse lights on earlier buses. If you don't want reverse lights, just leave the switch in as a plug and ignore it.

[...]

Tangentially, can the nose cone be swapped with the transmission installed in the bus?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

avocado_tom wrote:

Tangentially, can the nose cone be swapped with the transmission installed in the bus?

You have to at least completely unbolt the transaxle, and move it back about a foot.
avocado_tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
avocado_tom wrote:

You have to at least completely unbolt the transaxle, and move it back about a foot.

Dig it. Thanks!
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

avocado_tom wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:
avocado_tom wrote:

Dig it. Thanks!
There is a thread on here somewhere called something like 'doing the tranny shuffle' or 'doing the nose cone shuffle' that shows a way to move the transaxle back without completely removing it, but it looks like a real faff to do.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 nose cone on 62 trans? Reply with quote

In order to swap nose cone, remove engine, unbolt trans to pull it back enough. Just take the trans out.

While some people have said they can replace the front mount with trans still in, IME, it is not a time saver.

Possibly it in a beetle it is easier than in a bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: