Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Just completed the passenger door with kf repair pieces. This door is not as bad as the drivers side. The kf inner structure had a curve at its bottom, not straight like my door is originally. This was a minor challenge having to cut a little higher up.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by mr white on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

I forgot to ask last night if anyone has any ideas how to remove the original broken mirror arm base in this door? I really do not want to use heat. I fear I will damage paint if I do. A buddy has a mini ductor 2. But I think it might be too hot. Other than a soak in oil maybe with a helper and a air hammer? Any techniques or ideas are appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Nice work on the door - did you decide against using a torch for welding?

Did you try the hinge pin tool for what's left of the pin?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

No Greg. I used my cobra torch on this door. I had some buckling early on so its not so pretty. It laid fairly flat though. I have the tool but it does not pass over that fat base. What tool do you have? Can you post a pic?
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Easy enough to cut the top and bottom off of the mirror arm before using the tool, no?
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Yeah but I hate to do it! Feels criminal, thinking it could fix somebody else's?
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Those cobra torches are neat, almost like TIG welding.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Yes, Exactly. Takes some time getting used to the pistol set up. At least it did for me. Way easier overall than the J-40 though. I am trying to use no rod at all.
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Very nice work on the welding.

Fixed your pics.

mr white wrote:
Just completed the passenger door with kf repair pieces. This door is not as bad as the drivers side. The kf inner structure had a curve at its bottom, not straight like my door is originally. This was a minor challenge having to cut a little higher up.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

mr white wrote:
I forgot to ask last night if anyone has any ideas how to remove the original broken mirror arm base in this door? I really do not want to use heat. I fear I will damage paint if I do. A buddy has a mini ductor 2. But I think it might be too hot. Other than a soak in oil maybe with a helper and a air hammer? Any techniques or ideas are appreciated.

Just assuming if the mirror pin is not sloppy, aren't the fat base pins a one piece with the base and the actual arm a separate piece that gets brazed into the slot? I've come across a few in my time that had clean removal and not broken looking. Although This could be a difference from the super fat base and the thinner fat base.
Just a thought in the event the pin doesn't need changing and just make a new arm to braze in or JB weld as I've done in the past.

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Can you get a decent set of mole grips on the 'base'?

My mirror arm (complete) came out with oil and some working back and forth to wiggle it up and out. Once it started moving back and forth, it came out easy.

If you can grip the base with mole grips, you might be able to get it moving and do the same?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Got it!! Out with the old and on with the old! Lots of Zep 45 a small hammer and a pipe was the ticket. I was really worried at first when the first few strikes did nothing.
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Thumbing through some build threads this was a great read, sad to see the updates slow so much though. Good luck with the build.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Updates are due! Todays update is titled the middle seat. I took the upholstery off and found that the backrest spring sections were wasted. Tension springs were weak on the bottom but intact. Cleaned up the bench, I had to remove what was left of the lower backrest 3/4 bar that holds the backrest seam and bottom seam for the upholstery. A neighbor made a nice cut on a piece of tubing stock. I took it and cut it down and fit it by hand into the backrest. It will be welded later. The lower springs were intact but had no tension, I bought springs and started getting the bottom nice and tight. More details later.

zuggbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Nice work on the mirror arm and seat
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

I just received the first of its kind early (pre April 55) Wolfsburg bus lower front roof repair panel. We will get started putting this in very soon! This bus will not debut at Woodburn. Still too much to do.

This should be fun putting in. Ed has been kicking but on the bus as well! The seat covers are almost done, and I have been repairing the rear seat backrest.
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Hi
Where did you end up getting that lower front roof repair panel from?
Is there now a jig for it. Did you end up making it yourself?
I still haven't tackled my July 55 overhang but will be interested in that part.

Looking good BTW. Love to see the progress.

Best regards form Alberta,

Kevin

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
VWLooseNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Looks awesome Jason
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Updates Jason?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2133822
brokevwguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 PGSG bus or the Story of Sleeping Beauty Reply with quote

Popcorn Pray

1961 Standard
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 20

Jump to: