Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TX-73 Bug Rebuild
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Next up will be a bit of shifter refurbishment.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Gathered up and started cleaning up my shift-related stuff.

The coupler is in good shape but I will change out the urethane pads for stock rubber.

I decided rather than paint the shifter shaft I would polish it out. After some wet sanding and buffing, it turned out nice. Gave it a bit of clearcoat as well.

Not much left of the old shift rod bushing.

This stuff is about done and ready for Thomas to come out to help me install and get the car driving. I also started getting brake fluid into the new system for the first time.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Tx, I had that same empi brand retro shifter. The covering is a cheap vinyl that peeled and wore off within a couple of months of regular use. Even the shift pattern plate at the top ended up coming off. I have a cool 8-ball but it knocks against my vdo gauges under the ash tray. I finally thru the empi one away and went back to the stock little puck.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

You know I wondered about that shift knob quality, but decided to give it a try. I do have the stock knob in great shape, I figured I can always swap it back out but my ultimate goal is to get a more unique knob later.
Good feedback on the aftermarket shift knob, thanks.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Decided to fiddle with under-car lighting.

I had previously added 2 light strips below the running boards. Small one was for blue accent lighting tied into parking lights, longer one was for white lighting that would come on with the interior courtesy lights. When you opened the door the area outside would be lit. More fun stuff than anything else.

Wiring drops were in place on both sides of the car

This pic was with both lights on. In reality the lighting is a bit better defined. Maybe not everybody's pick but I like it, especially the white puddle lights that light with the interior lights.

I got to thinking about the attachment of the strips and decided to revise my approach. I pulled off the LED strips and bought some COB LED lighting sections, each is about 7" long. My plan is to install one blue strip and 2 white strips under each side of the car. The challenge was how to install so they don't come loose.

I had some Wiremold raceway cover that I thought would work as a backing/retention plate, although any flat bar would do. I first cut some slots to create some retention tabs that could be bent over the light strip. Each of the strips also has an adhesive strip backing.

After painting, the tabs were folded over as shown, worked great.

Strips were installed as shown with stainless fasteners to the body channel. I used some rust converter at any holes that were drilled. You can see the wire drop here as well.

The wiring from the COB LED was long enough to bring inside so I just pulled the first wiring drop into the car and pulled the COB wiring up, all connections are now inside the car. Soldered/heatshrink used.

This is a rear single blue COB installed. As mentioned the front will be 2 white strips together.

Lighting. Not needed now but I'll probably add a microswitch somewhere to control the blue lighting only.

Headlights are CREE LED units and I'm also going with LED's on all exterior lighting. Interior is already COB LED's. The main challenge, working with Mr. Duncan, is to get good illumination on the front/rear exterior lighting.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

That blue lighting looks good. That being said, you do know that blue(and red) lighting is illegal in Texas? See Here for Info

I would definitely wire those to a switch so you can turn em on and off. I would hate to see you pulled over and or ticketed for it.

I like your led ideas. I am a big fan of them when it comes to decreasing the current draw, especially on beetles with generators (I know you have an alt).

Keep up the nice work. Definitely enjoying your build as I want to do some of the same work you have been doing.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks and yes I'm aware of the laws related to this, you are right about why the switch would be added. This is always up to the officer that may or may not pull you over but I'm not that worried about it to tell the truth.

I agree on the LED's, seems in the last couple of years a lot of progress has been made in quality of lighting.

Next focus is Saturday to see if this little bug will get down the road under it's own power Very Happy
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

First drive attempt got postponed to this weekend, so I came back around to the door glass again, from where I left off a while ago.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=340

Many thanks to Cage44 for a great go-by:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7961874#7961874

Vent window frames are together and ready for glass.

I used a regular 1/8" aluminum rivet but just used the compression part, not the pin. I manually hammered down the piece to connect the frame pieces to avoid anything sticking up where the felt channel would go.

I also used a slightly larger brass rivet (hollow shaft) for the pivot point at the vent window glass, seemed to work fine.

Vent glass done

Started to install the felt channel, looks like I need to trim off the excess.

TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Trimmed the felt channel to the length of the metal channel on the vent assemblies, ready to install. Those are the window guide channels on the right, painted and also ready to go.

There is a small metal clip that attaches to the end of the guide channel - this ensures the top end of the channel is secured to the door frame.

The guide channel is installed vertically inside the door, close to the lock end.

You can see that little clip in this pic, the end of the channel is below the felt channel clip.

First item installed in the door is the window regulator. This is because you need to ensure the top rail of the regulator goes up into the door frame and not into the gap between the inner and outer door frames where the window will slide up and down. Cage44 has a clear explanation of this.
The top of the regulator is inside the door frame below my finger. If you were able to see the regulator in this pic, it would not be installed properly and would block the glasswindow operation.

Next in the installation sequence is the outer scraper. It has small clips that push into slots in the door frame. Blue tape helps keep it in place.

Next are the felt channel clips. I had all of the original clips but I also bought an extra complete set. I'm glad I did because a few got messed up during re-installation. All of the clips are installed except the one on the top of the door frame closest to the vent window. That one goes in after the vent window assembly is installed. This is because the vent window angles into place - the clip would interfere.
The clips also help retain the outer scraper as well.

This is the clip that gets installed after the vent window is installed.

Last edited by TX-73 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

After the window guide is installed, the felt channel goes in.

The window is used to help shape the felt channel.

Felt channel slides in from below.

Not that clear, but this is the felt channel resting against the window guide. It just sits into the guide, the window glass keeps it in place.

I used a rubber mallet and a small dowel to ensure the felt channel was pushed fully into place and followed the contour of the window opening.

TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Next, the inner scraper is installed. It also has clips like the outer scraper that click into slots in the door frame. I used a screwdriver to pull the scraper towards me, clicking into the slots rather than being on the outside of the door and pushing the scraper. Seemed to be more controllable.

Here's the inner scraper installed. You can also see the outer scraper and felt channel on the vent window in place.

sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Dammit man, you're making me embarrassed about all the stuff that still needs to be done on my bug even after my $3k paint job Embarassed Wink

Lookin' great.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

LOL! It never ends Very Happy

Final step is the window. Pad the bottom end of the regulator and then pull it out enough to slide the glass up into the door. BE CAREFUL, you don't want to scratch the glass or even worse break it.

I then used the window crank to move the regulator plate to a convenient spot for access to attach the window glass frame.

I did not tighten the bolts because I wanted the window to move as it needed to when I rolled it up. If you tighten them, the window can rack a bit.
After rolling the window up and down a couple times, I tightened the attachment bolts using the upper access holes in the door frame.

I also used a bit of silicone spray in the felt channels to help the glass slide, everything is a bit stiff initially but that's fine.

Done, turned out nice.

Huge thanks to Cage44 for the tutorial he did, it explained everything completely. I didn't get into more detail here because he already did, plus there's online info about glass installation, etc.

Now on to finish the other door, but tomorrow is a big day with Mr. Duncan, looking forward to getting a few things finished to drive the bug for the first time Very Happy Blue Bug
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

A very good day today Blue Bug

Got the driver side glass done and the bug cleaned up before Mr. Duncan came by.

We then went through our checklist of things to get done before driving, brakes bled/adjusted, clutch adjusted, installed solid rocker arm shaft kit, plus a few other things. Main idea was to not rush and methodically finish what needed to be done.

To confirm vanram, the Empi shifter looked good for about 10 minutes, already showing wear lol. Complete crap. It's coming out asap and will be replaced with a quality engraved knob. The polished shaft looks good.

Shifter coupling installed with safety wire. The fuel inlet at the carb was also safety-wired.

Last edited by TX-73 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Rolled the bug out for a few pics, sunlight really sets off the metallic in the paint.

FIRST DRIVE, 3 years after my first post.

Mr. Duncan had the honor of driving it initially, he knew better than I what to look for and listen to. Without him I would still be fiddling around trying to build an engine, plus all of the other help he's given me. Plus I drove it all around the neighborhood afterwards lol.

The bit of smoke at startup was due to work done on the rocker arms with oil squirted all over things. No big deal, car runs perfect.

Sorry for my sideways camera, I didn't realize what was going on, but you get the idea!

http://youtu.be/VkwBhpCf30g

A GOOD DAY Very Happy THANK YOU THOMAS Blue Bug

Last edited by TX-73 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Embedded video Cool

Link

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Woot, another texas bug on the road Blue Bug Congratz.
sawitt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Wow, nice looking car, I love that color.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

Thanks, very glad to get to this point!
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: TX-73 Bug Rebuild Reply with quote

One more

Link

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 35

Jump to: