Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I replace the floor pans?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarreraRS2.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

I'm trying to determine if I should refurbish the floor pans that are already on the car and continue using the earlier style seat brackets. They have some light surface rust, but that's all. Or should I replace them with new pans that have the correct '74 pedestal seat brackets?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gigi: Saturn Yellow 1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

El Barto: Rosso 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjfisher26
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

They look clean to me but if you cut them out ill take them off your hands lol
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

You do not mention if money or originality was a concern or not. So, if funds are ok, then yes, replace them with high quality ones like Wolfsburg West (thick pans). If funds are an issue, stick with what you got. Another method is to change the seat mounts, if you have the ability to cut and replace (weld). Either way, your opinion is the only one that counts. Go with what you want. Good luck.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

I don't replace floor pans unless I can see through them. Why exactly did you pull the body off the floor pan? What are you working on? Is this a frankenbeetle?

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
CarreraRS2.7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

Yes it's a Frankenbeetle. Thanks to the PO, it's a '74 Standard with floor pans and seats from a '68-69 and a 1600 single port engine (with pre-doghouse cooling). The body needs some work, so I figured I would try my hand at a full restoration. I'm not too concerned with originality since it is so mixed up. I'll probably end up hot rodding the car anyway.

Gigi: Saturn Yellow 1974 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet

El Barto: Rosso 2017 Fiat 500 Abarth
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

My opinion is.....

You have the car apart. Think about how long you think those pans will last, and how long you'll keep the car. If they won't last, do you really want to tear the car apart to replace them in the future?

Of course that's how fixing a few things on my 69 'vert evolved into 2 years of work.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

If you're not concerned with originality then it won't be a restoration. Confused

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

i'll preface this with the fact that if wolfsburg west now has good quality floor pans available thats great news...but i've never seen or installed them...the quality of all the others i have installed in the past was so bad that i would never remove solid original ones...i have installed original vw pans 30 years ago when they were still available from the dealer and the difference in weight and thickness was amazing... on daily drivers in new york winters the aftermarket pans only lasted about 3 years....the seat tracks werent formed properly,the spotwelds on them popped off,etc...they are usually made a little too wide so if you just weld them to the tunnel the body wont fit back on...so set the body back in place and trim the pan to fit it...do you already have early seats? cause if you change pans you gotta figure in the cost of later seats besides
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

CarreraRS2.7 wrote:
I'm trying to determine if I should refurbish the floor pans that are already on the car

Having thought long and hard about it, I'd say yes.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Should I replace the floor pans? Reply with quote

oh yeah ...and 74 seats werent exactly wonderful either
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: