Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

to view a big american van (towing trailer no less) solo in some real rough terrain.. take a stroll thru this travel log. (hope pics are behaving for you)

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/1516...g!-(PICS!)

again, not anything I'd take a more precious Syncro out into. sure some guys have more $$ than Sense.. and can and do go romp the paint off their hobby vans.. not something my economics or sensibilities will allow. [/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

danfromsyr... many thanks for the links, the first one looks like a great read which I will get into later. I hope to do something just as fun one day...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

and this guy taking his $500 AWD Astro out for some fun..
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/46437-Grumpy-takes-to-the-trails
guess the point here is you don't have to spend $yncro $$ to have fun and sleep in a van.. neither one are a jeep or proper crawler, and yet both groups take their vans out to play with the Jeepers.. no harm no foul. it's all about getting the people out and enjoying the outdoors to me..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

and more all sorts of off roadable van pics..
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/17756-Pics-of-your-VAN!-Post-up!
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Bruce, I'll still talk to you and even camp with you. It will be great having a fellow camper with a van to pull me out in the bad times.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

gene l wrote:
Bruce, I'll still talk to you and even camp with you. It will be great having a fellow camper with a van to pull me out in the bad times.

Thanks Gene Cool Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

I suspect the power/torque of the 4.3 Vortec and the auto trans torque converter would make this easily the equivalent of the Syncro on most offroad terrain where slow/steep climbing on obstacles is needed. Its downfall is clearance. Especially yours - gotta get rid of those side steps, man!! Like leaving the reflectors on a bicycle spoke...
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
I suspect the power/torque of the 4.3 Vortec and the auto trans torque converter would make this easily the equivalent of the Syncro on most offroad terrain where slow/steep climbing on obstacles is needed. Its downfall is clearance. Especially yours - gotta get rid of those side steps, man!! Like leaving the reflectors on a bicycle spoke...

LOL... nothing like peer pressure Laughing

Yeah they are part of my plan to be gone, especially since one of them has a notch from the wheelchair lift (like I needed an excuse Razz )

Looking at a hightop but its only 24" minus 1" for the liner cap, which puts it right at 5'-9" my height... not sure if it is worth the cost, so a lift is really in play now Laughing
1967 Bug- Gone
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
TequilaSunSet wrote:
Did you sell your Vanagon or simply add this to the fleet?!?!

So far part of the fleet...

Krusty will probably be the short straw though.

Soooooooo... is this still your answer:

TequilaSunSet wrote:
No regrets... dumped a chit load into it, some things I wish I might have done differently... but no regrets Smile

...and will be spending more on it Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Popcorn

I was going to say that you'll want to join an Astro forum, but I see you already did: http://www.astrosafari.com/ .

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

KAMZ A STALKER!!!!!

Laughing Razz Wink
1967 Bug- Gone
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Here you go, a 1968 Chevy Kamp King Coaches conversion......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Wow, I've never seen that model before. Pretty ambitious. I tried my best to read the fine print and it looks to have a shower and optional toilet even. Nice. Dig the color as well.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Here you go, a 1968 Chevy Kamp King Coaches conversion......

Dave

Wow! I'd hate to drive that across the Astoria Bridge!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Looks like it escaped from the set of Mad Max

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

That Chevy sold a week or so ago for $4,300........

I would have rolled that!

Talk about unique!

Besides..... 1968 was the Golden year of American Automobile technology!
Emission controls were new..... A simple air injection system that was easily over ridden.

I had a 68 Chevy Chevelle 2 door.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Currently on BaT: '69 Chevy Sportvan Pop-Top ($14.5 in Ohio):
http://bringatrailer.com/2016/02/05/pop-top-camper-50k-mile-1969-chevrolet-sportvan-108/
Cool
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Currently on BaT: '69 Chevy Sportvan Pop-Top ($14.5 in Ohio):
http://bringatrailer.com/2016/02/05/pop-top-camper-50k-mile-1969-chevrolet-sportvan-108/
Cool

Me like!!!

CL ad with more pics
https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5420863279.html

1967 Bug- Gone
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

Wow, cool. Kind of interesting that its max GVW is a meager 5000lbs, though. Seems like that kind of heavy american iron should have been able to hack more than that, since it probably had a curb weight of 4000lbs ish. Just makes a Vanagon more amazing since some models probably have a curb weight of 3500 and a payload of 1500 or more.

Anyhow, interesting bit of history and nice to see it in the right hands. That's a stout price.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

I don't know if anyone mentioned the Chevy Express AWD vans but I am not going back 9 pages to find out. I like the Astro but they are getting old, aren't really big enough inside, and really that high a quality.

All the modern features, extra space and quiet ride would be nice. The long wheel base isn't great but better than a sprinter. They get 17mpg with an effiicient 5.3 V8. I'm surprised you don't see more of them getting camperized.

They make a couple lift kits for it, only a few hundred bucks for a 2" lift, Add a GTRV westy style or Sprortsmobile poptop, for what $6K, and finish out the interior as a camper. Here is one with a Westy top.

A nice fairly nice used one with under 100K can be had for 10-12K. It would probably wind up costing 25K by the time it was all camperized. But an automatic with comfortable seats, good AC, no wind noise, far higher cargo capacity and all modern car conveniences is pretty tempting. It wouldn't follow a syncro in a lot of locations but the AWD would still take you into a lot of remote country without getting stuck.

I haven't driven one but I think it would be a lot more comfortable ride than a sportsmobile 4x4 which I have checked out in the past.
BlueGrasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ever want sell your Vanagon for an American one? Reply with quote

TequilaSunSet wrote:
... and this summer my last events in my vanagon will be sad, especially the $$$ loss I will take up the azz! Laughing

Say it isn't so! Shocked

You still going to Syncrofest this year?

You can still rock that Astrovan at Descend on Bend. It's not VW specific (though most vans there were VW). Better get that beast off the ground a little more first though, or you're liable to lose one of your side steps on the way in. Laughing

ThankYouJerry wrote:

You kinda just harshed my mellow. Wink

This! Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: