Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Supplier
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72VWBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Supplier Reply with quote

Hi there.

Bought a 72 Super Beetle last week...it's in really great shape...except for some minor items that I'm trying to piece back together.

My question is...I want to use the spare tire to power the windshield wiper fluid tank but the hose to the tire is missing.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement hose? I need one with the right connections on each end of the hose.

Thanks much!

Michelle
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle, I have two of them. One is long, the other is shorter. That is, if you're talking about the white plastic hose that goes between the the tire stem and the rubber hose, coming off the water bottle.

PM me if it'll work for you.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
72VWBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Thanks Richard Reply with quote

Hi Richard.

Thanks so much for your reply...

My husband took everything out of the trunk today and yay, found the hose.

Our next project is trying to get the factory radio working. For some reason, the previous owner disconnected it and the antenna.

The Samba is such an awesome resource. We found the wiring diagram for it on here.

What year is your VW?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle, my name is Tim. Richard O'Brien is Riff-Raff--the guy in Rocky Horror Picture Show that wrote all the songs for that play--and movie.

I have a 1974 Super Beetle. I got two of those feeder lines from the Samba Classifieds a while back but ended up not needing them. One of these days I'll re-sell them in The classifieds, I guess, but I've been too lazy to take the pics and list them.

Be careful if when you hook up your stock winder washer system. Once you pressurize, you may find you have a leak at the washer switch. If so, unscrew the feeder line (the one your husband found) and think about going to an electric system, like I did.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
I got two of those feeder lines from the Samba Classifieds a while back but ended up not needing them. One of these days I'll re-sell them in The classifieds, I guess, but I've been too lazy to take the pics and list them.

Tim I might be interested in your feeder lines, if they would fit my 69 and if mine are indeed missing--
I DO have the rubberized line that extends from the washer bottle upwards around the driver's side of the fuel tank and then up into the netherworld behind the dash cover-- but honestly from there I have no clue where it goes, never really looked-- but I am almost positive that it terminates somewhere instead of leading to my washer switch. Is it supposed to hook straight into the washer switch, or is there another tube it hooks into that then goes to the switch? Then another tube coming off the switch goes to the washer sprayer? I've looked for a tubing diagram but can't seem to find anything that shows it clearly...
Also while on the subject, awhile back I purchased a replacement washer dash switch center piece, the piece you are supposed to push in to spray. It had a stem on the dash end of it, but it seemed like the stem was too long so when I inserted the piece into the switch, it stuck out. So I actually cut a bit off the end of that stem, and now it fits but the stem doesn't feel like it's activating anything inside the switch . So, how does that pushbutton switch work exactly and do I need to get another one? Thanks and sorry for the hijack

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB, I have a 1974 Super Beetle. The washer switch is a part of the windshield-wiper switch--at the column. Your's is different. You have a separate washer switch that is in the dash.

If the inlet (from the pressurized water bottle) to the switch is not connected behind the dash, or if the outlet (hose from the switch to the spray window nozzle) is not connected to the switch, then having the tube from the tire to the washer bottle will do you no good.

However, I believe you have a much shorter supply tube for your year bug (if I remember correctly) that goes from the tire to the washer bottle. And it's made of rubber. The ones I have are a hard plastic and meant to go from a tire that is laying flat (like in a Super Beetle), as opposed to a vertically standing tire (like in a regular bug).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
SB, I have a 1974 Super Beetle. The washer switch is a part of the windshield-wiper switch--at the column. Your's is different. You have a separate washer switch that is in the dash.

If the inlet (from the pressurized water bottle) to the switch is not connected behind the dash, or if the outlet (hose from the switch to the spray window nozzle) is not connected to the switch, then having the tube from the tire to the washer bottle will do you no good.

However, I believe you have a much shorter supply tube for your year bug (if I remember correctly) that goes from the tire to the washer bottle. And it's made of rubber. The ones I have are a hard plastic and meant to go from a tire that is laying flat (like in a Super Beetle), as opposed to a vertically standing tire (like in a regular bug).

Tim

Believe it or not I took a look in the trunk and I still have all the original tubing necessary for the windshield washer. My spare will not hold air at all anymore (won't even inflate) so I tested it by connecting the washer bottle to my left front tire, pushed the dash button and lo and behold it sprayed perfectly.... ONCE. Then it started leaking all over the place from around the sprayer (even without me pushing the button), and there was obvious hissing coming from the line connecting the washer bottle to the tire- it seems to be under constant pressure even when it's not supposed to be-- but that's weird because from the hissing it would seem I have a leak in that line somewhere. Still amazed the thing actually worked

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Be careful if when you hook up your stock winder washer system. Once you pressurize, you may find you have a leak at the washer switch. If so, unscrew the feeder line (the one your husband found) and think about going to an electric system, like I did.

Tim

Resurrecting an old thread here to 2-check this. Tim, et al, when I pressurize the bottle with all of the factory pieces in place, all is good... until I activate the wiper washer in the steering column wipers lever. Then the washer shoots out non-stop until it depressurizes completely.

Is this an indication of a faulty washer switch? I'm trying to decide if there's a "stock"- type fix worth the trouble before spending on an aftermarket bottle-pump combo.

Thanks,

Victor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Suppli Reply with quote

Of course, I just found my old thread about just this from a couple of years ago... Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595932&highlight=washer+connections

Guess the issue is in the wiper switch... so domo really want to disconnect the battery, remove the steering column and switches to see if the wiper switch valve is a repairable piece...? Sad.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Suppli Reply with quote

Victor, I found that installing a separate switch and electrical pump was quite easy--and less expensive than repairing the old, stock system.

I installed a switch that looked like it belonged in my dash.

See the one switch to the left in this bank of dash switches? That's the one I installed.

Doing this job took very little time, and I did so because it's a far more reliable method of getting some squirt to the windshield, compared to the spare-tire--constant pressure--stock system, with valves and hoses that are getting far too old to pressurize properly.

I bought a new washer hose from Wolfsburg West and routed it from the electric pump to the to the nozzle, after drilling a hole and installing a rubber grommet into my airbox and the nozzle beyond.

The only problem I had was that a new nozzel from MidAmerica had a male fitting that was too large. It split the end of the new WW hose in no time--causing a blowout--but then I bought a new chrome nozzle from Wolfsburg West, which had the proper-size male fitting, and all was well.

Also, I should have bought a momentary switch; however, the one I have is fine.

I used the existing hose that came from the bottom of my stock water bottle, routing it to the inlet of the electric pump, and the new WW hose from the pump to the nozzle.

The squirt is amazing.

Edit: I also had to drill two small screw holes in my inner fender panel to mount the electric pump. Both holes, hold the electric pump to the body, and one of the screws, holding the pump also attaches the ground wire.

Doing this completely bypasses your old water lines, and switch, on the column. The water supply simply goes from the bottom of your existing bottle outlet for a short run to the electric pump; then, from the pump to the nozzle.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Suppli Reply with quote

Great info, Tim, thanks for posting. Where did you sourcevthe pump? From one of the complete kits like cip1, or was it one you can get at a FLAPS?

Victor

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Suppli Reply with quote

Victor, I bought a Tri-co unit off Amazon. Thirteen bucks at the time. Cheap--and it works.

Here it is. The ends fit the hoses nicely. But make sure you mount the pump low--since you rely upon gravity to provide fluid to the pump.

The smooth hose (out) is going to my nozzle. The braided hose (supply) is coming from my water bottle (I just cut off the OG hose and stuck it on the pump with no kinks, of course). The squiggly wire is to a ground screw (black wire that came off the pump). The insulated wire is coming from my switch and attaches to the white wire on the pump.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Suppli Reply with quote

By the way, be sure to drill a small hole in your OG water-bottle cap. Maybe 1/8 inch or 3/16. Just enough for venting--or else the water will not flow to the pump.

Also, these pictures are old. I have made improvements to my trunk and car interior ( new oatmeal carpet, fuel expansion tube, etc.; replaced the sun-damaged glove-box door, etc.)

Tim

Richard O'Brien
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Suppli Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Also, these pictures are old. I have made improvements to my trunk and car interior ( new oatmeal carpet, fuel expansion tube, etc.; replaced the sun-damaged glove-box door, etc.)

Tim

Whew! Good thing u clarified that! Thought you were going all patina based on those pic...! Wink

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 VW Super Beetle - Windshield Washer Fluid Hose Suppli Reply with quote

Victor, even the loose tag on the water bottle has been fixed Laughing .

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: