Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v to 12v conversion questions....
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

So I have re-wired a few VWs (2 bugs, and 1 buggy) front to rear and they have come out GREAT.. BUT, those were cars that were already 12v cars... I am currently working on rewiring my buggy, but it is/was still 1962 6v wiring system and I am converting it to 12v... I already have the alternator, coil, starter, bulbs (headlight, taillight, blinker, etc), and a new fuse block... But, my question is.. what relays and switches need to be changed out to convert to 12 volt?? Such as headlight relays/switches, blinker relays, etc. Thanks in advance for the help...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

The starter didn't need to be changed, the 6v starter will last indefinitely on 12v and unless the new 12v starter matches the 6v flywheel, it won't work.

No switches need to be changed.

Yes change the blinker relay

If you have a 67 dimmer switch yes, you'll need to replace the relay. If you have a foot dimmer switch, there is no dimmer relay.

Change the motor in the wiper to 12v.
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
The starter didn't need to be changed, the 6v starter will last indefinitely on 12v and unless the new 12v starter matches the 6v flywheel, it won't work.

No switches need to be changed.

Yes change the blinker relay

If you have a 67 dimmer switch yes, you'll need to replace the relay. If you have a foot dimmer switch, there is no dimmer relay.

Change the motor in the wiper to 12v.

Thanks for the response... Sorry, I should have mentioned that the reason I changed the starter was because the original was toast... But also because the new engine has a 12v flywheel..

Also, it has the foot dimmer switch so I'm good there. And I will not be running a wiper motor so no need to worry about that one.. Thanks for the help...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

If you car had an electric gas gauge installed it will need attention before you apply 12 volts to it. A small voltage regulator can be used to adjust the voltage to what it is expecting. The stock mechanical gas gauge only needs a 12 volt light bulb.

Don't forget all the little bulbs in the speedo! They last seconds on 12 volts. The 6 volt fuse block and fuses are fine in a 12 volt conversion.
phil fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
If you car had an electric gas gauge installed it will need attention before you apply 12 volts to it. A small voltage regulator can be used to adjust the voltage to what it is expecting. The stock mechanical gas gauge only needs a 12 volt light bulb.

Don't forget all the little bulbs in the speedo! They last seconds on 12 volts. The 6 volt fuse block and fuses are fine in a 12 volt conversion.

Nah, it's just a mechanical gas gauge.. So that is okay.. And I will be replacing the gauge bulbs as well..
I am replacing the fuse block only because it had some funky aftermarket fuse block that the P.O. installed.. Plus, the new wiring harness I bought came with a new fuse block.. So going to just use that one.. Thanks for the input though.. This all helps make sure I am not missing something!! Very Happy
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

If the fuse block that came with the harness is one of the ceramic fuse type, don't use it. Make sure it is an SAE blade type fuse block
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
If the fuse block that came with the harness is one of the ceramic fuse type, don't use it. Make sure it is an SAE blade type fuse block

Why? Mine work fine. Haven't blown a fuse or had an issue in many, many years.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

My experience was that fairly often a tail light or whatever quit working and the solution was to have to remove that circuit's fuse and clean its ends and the contacts on the block.

Here is somebody else's thoughts

Joel wrote:
bdub475 wrote:
What is the reason for wanting to update the fuse block? If the car is wired correctly then you should have zero trouble with the factory fuses. .

Zero trouble?
there is a good reason why cars havent used ceramic fuses for 3 decades.
they are shocking for losing contact especially in areas of high humidity, there is just not enough surface area where they make contact with the fuse box tabs.

compare them to glass and blade type fuse boxes and you'll see the problem

Phil doesn't need to get stopped for a non-working tail light and have to explain why he doesn't have wipers
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

Dielectric grease will solve that problem, and a lot cheaper that replacing the fuse block. Just saying. It isn't a requirement.

I am quite familiar with humidity. My buggy, and other VWs, live under an open shed in South Louisiana. Like I said, no issues with the stock fuses. I have problems with the water spray and mud from the tires soaking signal lights and taillights, but the fuses and fuse panel have never been an issue. Never.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conversion questions.... Reply with quote

With you on that about the fuses...When I do a build, I clean the terminals and the fuses. Never had an issue. However doing a bugy for a customer and am using a universal street rod harness because I had no harness to start with and wanted to try using one.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: