Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do to your Beetle this week?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

New member. His name is Buud. He's a 64

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I picked up a Gus Mozart license plate frame for fifty bucks. Thought about having it professionally restored, but ended up doing it myself since I've been snowed in for two days. I'm happy with how it turned out (I used Ruby Red for the background to match my car). The frame was broken on the left side. I repaired with JB Weld (I should have spent more time smoothing out the seam on top).

Before:

After:

03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Got my Pioneer head unit installed and the rest of my system hooked up. Sounds good need some sound dampening...bad 😳
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

^^^ RC: the "magic" brazing rods that braze zinc castings, aluminum, etc would work excellently to repair that license frame much better than JBWeld.

Me: today I heartlessly ground off all patina (ie peeling paint and rusty steel) from my sunroof (in place) and on the passenger door and wiped with rust remover (Vapo Rust) and then primed with Rustoleum primer.

["patina" being latin for "shitbox"]

More destruction to follow!!
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
Iggy1492
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

My wife sent me out to buy groceries and I came back with a 65' this weekend, a back of the body shop in the middle of nowhere find. beautiful rust and patina. I am thinking of a long to-do list. I own a 74' super, 12 volt, so I had never thought about 6v vs 12 v. The 65' is 6v. and wonder if a 12 v conversion is better or just leave it the way it is. any words of advice will be appreciated[img]
[/img]

Last edited by Iggy1492 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:46 am; edited 3 times in total
03hdfatboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Iggy1492 wrote:
Hi fellow bug lovers, I bought a 65' this weekend, a back of the body shop in the middle of nowhere find. beautiful rust and patina. I am thinking of a long list of things I will need to repair. I own a 74' super, 12 volt, so I had never thought about 6v vs 12 v. The 65' is 6v. and wonder if a 12 v conversion is better or just leave it the way it is. any words of advice will be appreciated[img]
[/img]
welcome to the samba. My 2 cents: 12v is better
pj.olsson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Hello Guys,

today I installed a sun visor for the rear window, polished the pipes a little bit and the decklid becomes the 1200 emblem that I painted in white!

Here are the pics:

What do you say? Let me know! Thanks!

Greetings from Germany,

Pj.
slave1pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I shipped these parts from Minnesota back home to California

Currently:
1963 Ragtop Beetle
Previously:
1967 Beetle
1968 Beetle
1970 Beetle
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

I installed a Pioneer head unit (DEH - X3800ui) and made a speaker shelf and installed 4 JBL 6x9 speakers. I've had the car for 8 years with no radio.

The dash had already been cut when I bought the car but I had made a blockoff plate. The hole happened to be a perfect fit for my unit.

I made the speaker shelf out of 3/4" plywood and stained it. I made a wiring harness for the speakers that uses cable mounts along the back edge to keep the wires together neatly. I tucked the wires under the carpet. When I lean the back of the back seat forward, it looks clean with no wires showing.

It sounds great, even with no amp. The JBL 6x9s (GTO928 and GTO 938) have great sound. I put the 2-ways on the outside and hooked them up as the rear speakers and the 3-ways in the center as the front. I can then use the fader to shift between the "front" and "back" to adjust the sound for more or less bass and midrange. It works just like I had hoped it would.

And I can easily listen to my ipod and iPhone in my car and control them through the controls on the head unit. And I can charge with one of them from it too. Awesome unit!!!
mojo621
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Replaced the MC and took the '67 out for a 2 hour cruise. Then drove over to my brother-in-law's house to show him the car. He hadn't seen it yet. Let him take it for a little run. He had one back in 1967 and the first thing he said is I want one.

Jack_1944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Bought a 56 Oval. Trying to identify the engine. Looked at the listings and it appears to be a 1970 but mot sure. Maybe someone more familiar can assist. The number is B6127359 Thanks.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Jack_1944 wrote:
Bought a 56 Oval. Trying to identify the engine. Looked at the listings and it appears to be a 1970 but mot sure. Maybe someone more familiar can assist. The number is B6127359 Thanks.

Yes, from this page:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/engine_letters.php

Quote:
B6 1970 1600cc Dual relief, single port, 47bhp DIN, 57HP SAE M157 USA/Canada.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This was actually 2 weekends ago but just got around to taking pics. I installed a Pioneer DEH x3800ui head unit and 4 JBL 6x9 speakers. I made a speaker shelf from 3/4" birchwood plywood and stained it to match my door panels. Made a wiring harness across the back of the underside keeping all of the wires hidden from view nice and neat and then tucked under the carpet on one side. So when the seat back is down it's a clean look with room to put stuff (like the obligatory "I drive an old Volkswagen tool box with all your extra parts and metric tools") with no wires showing. I wanted the edge to be just under the back of the seat with a slight angle up in the back. It sounds really good even with no amp. Nice deep full range with as much bass as you want (full range equalizer) and I can fade it between the 2-ways and 3-ways to adjust the sound easily while driving without having to mess with the equalizer.

Bug-nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Worked on getting the engine back in my '59 Cool

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite

Snort wrote:
A 59 Beetle is just an Oval-Window car with aspirations of modernity.
Thomas323is
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Remove engine to replace clutch kit because I can not shift into gear when engine on. But I find out end play way too much .080 and I end up tear down engine
The main bearing get loose in the case, It move back and forward. I wonder the design that had only this bearing control end play and other bearing just like a bushing huh? It should have 2 or 3 bearing to control better end play. This is a weak point of VW engine
Thanks
Ghosttowncs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Finally replaced the wonky old headlight buckets Squeaky had in her with some new ones! Also bypassed weird on/off switch PO had for charging. Now she starts, runs, and charges just like a real car Very Happy

HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

This evening I ordered the VW Birth Certificate and Data Sheet for both my 62 and 63 Sunroof Bugs. I guess the wait starts now. 8 months and counting. I'll probably forget about it and then be surprised when it shows up in the mail one day.
Buguyed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Put a new grommet in my master cylinder and bled the brakes. Also a new fuel pump installed!

Back on the road again. Going to be my daily driver while we're having this unseasonably warm weather here in Colorado
trektider60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Great weather today before the rain and snow start again. I put new gas in Wilma and went for a little ride. She fired right up and ran great; last time I had her out was in November. Still working on the hubcabs. I painted the centers and I'm working on getting them polished.

Volksrodder73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do to your Beetle this week? Reply with quote

Two inch narrowed beam cut my torsion leaves disc brakes atomwerk spring plates sealed bearings and I got my wheels widened to 7" in the rear. Just like a total douche! Lol
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 253, 254, 255 ... 315, 316, 317  Next
Jump to:
Page 254 of 317

Jump to: