Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Grind
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

I recently thought my clutch cable snapped but I think it's my clutch. I got a new cable got the car jacked up and saw the old one isn't broke. I removed my pedal assembly and cleaned it all up and replaced the cable anyway. I've been wanting to because the threads seemed a bit stripped out. Now when I push the clutch in I get almost a grinding sound. Not from shifting just from pushing it in. There is no engagement at all. I only feel the tension from the spring but not the clutch. And a loose grinding sound.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

broken clutch fork ?
throw out bearing clip fell off ?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

Just for clarification, is the clutch not engaging (ie, the car won't move when the pedal is released and trans in gear), or is the clutch not disengaging when the pedal is depressed (ie, impossible to shift into gear from neutral whilst the car is running and not moving)?
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Just for clarification, is the clutch not engaging (ie, the car won't move when the pedal is released and trans in gear), or is the clutch not disengaging when the pedal is depressed (ie, impossible to shift into gear from neutral whilst the car is running and not moving)?

Not engaging when the pedal is depressed. When it went out I was able to drive it a few blocks to a safe place. I was able to shift between 2nd and 3rd without the clutch. It wasn't making the sound until I changed the cable. I'm not sure if I have it adjusted properly of course.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

I just found this. Seems like what I need.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482992&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

So the clutch is not disengaging. A broken clutch cross shaft or throwout bearing that's come off the fingers can cause what you're experiencing. Another possibility is the tube the clutch cable runs through in the tunnel has broken one or more of its attachment points, so now when you try to disengage the clutch by depressing the clutch pedal the tube flexes, which prevents full travel of the cable at the trans.

Were you ever able to achieve proper pedal freeplay when you replaced the cable? Is the adjustment nut currently threaded all the way down on the cable end?
Volksrodder73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

This same thing happened to me so I pulled the motor and replaced the cable rear fork( in trans) and front fork(in pedal assembly) and a new pressure plate and clutch disc. Honestly
The hook in the pedal assembly was worn but everything looked fine otherwise. I think it was the pressure plate. Can't believe this happened to someone else too!
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

Were you ever able to achieve proper pedal freeplay when you replaced the cable? Is the adjustment nut currently threaded all the way down on the cable end?

The tube seems strong from the front to the access point under the back seat. My Bowden tube could probably stand to be replaced.

The adjustment nut is about half way on the cable end. That's about as far as the old one was. I was adjusting and testing the pedal and adjusting and testing the pedal until it got as far as the loose grinding noise. That's when I stopped. I can feel the tension of the spring when I push the pedal but it's not what it was and the pedal pushes all the way back out.
For the last week or so the spring was only pushing the pedal about half way out. Right to the engagement point. I could pull it up with my foot but it didn't make any difference.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

Got the motor out and the clutch fork was broken. Time to get some parts and get to work.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

Yorvo wrote:
Not engaging when the pedal is depressed.

To avoid "Failure to communicate." next time. Very Happy

When pedal is pressed the clutch is supposed to be not engaged or is called disengaged.

When pedal is not pressed the clutch is engaged. As in the engine is now solidly linked to the transaxle and will propel the VW either forward or reverse with gear shift not in neutral position.

Get one of the after market operating shafts with the full bead weld around the area each arm connects to the shaft. This is where the stock part is sorely lacking.
Yorvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Grind Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Yorvo wrote:
Not engaging when the pedal is depressed.

To avoid "Failure to communicate." next time. Very Happy

When pedal is pressed the clutch is supposed to be not engaged or is called disengaged.

When pedal is not pressed the clutch is engaged. As in the engine is now solidly linked to the transaxle and will propel the VW either forward or reverse with gear shift not in neutral position.

Get one of the after market operating shafts with the full bead weld around the area each arm connects to the shaft. This is where the stock part is sorely lacking.

That's the one I ordered, thank you. And yes, I'm learning my clutch terminology with this repair. 😊
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: