Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Our new beetle
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Just picked this up last night. Bought it at about 8 pm and drove it 80 miles and had no issues come up. Other then it would absolutely refuse to idle. Would not do it. Good thing it was all highway. I we cruised at about 60. Got home at 10 pm. Woke up today and tuned the carb for about 10 mins and now it idles pretty good. Drove it to work and brought the daughter to ice cream after dinner. I still need to do some work on the carb but it idles now. Ordered a new header and stinger and some shifter bushings. Other then maybe a set of rear tires that is about all it needs. Cant wait to drive to dub-splash this year. I seen it at that show last year and loved it. The wife was looking for a old car for her and found this one. It will be hers. After she learns how to drive a stick shift anyways. Until then i will just have to drive it around for her......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Congrats on the new car.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Get the rest of the engine tin and seals before running it much more. That is like having a hole in a radiator...
sportin-wood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Congrats on the new Vee Dub! Just out of curiosity, how old is the daughter that will be driving this eventually? The only reason I ask is that I followed a father/daughter build thread for about 3 years, until right when the car was finished, the daughter lost interest (broke her father's heart), and he ended up getting rid of the car. Hope this one stays in your family!

Here's the thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524322&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman. He's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." --- Jeff Spicoli
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Nice! You can also bring it to the Texas Classic April 15-17
http://www.texasvwclassic.com
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

I have tins for it. I am going to put them on but so far it does not. Need to have them. It runs maybe a little too cool. Drove it 80 miles and the dip stick was just warm. Don't get me wrong. It will get the tins.

The car is to be the wife's when i get it running and driving smoother. Guess if she does not want it I will have it. The daughter is 8 so we have a long time before she needs to drive.

I have always wanted to go to that show. Will try to make it this year.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Dipstick should be cool to the touch in cooler weather, it is inches long out of the oil.

Thermostat and flaps in the shroud are probably missing. Those are a big help in keeping the engine up at least lowest engine operating temp. Plus keeping the engine at a more even temp when driving around in cool weather
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

85burb wrote:
I have tins for it. I am going to put them on but so far it does not. Need to have them. It runs maybe a little too cool. Drove it 80 miles and the dip stick was just warm. Don't get me wrong. It will get the tins.

The car is to be the wife's when i get it running and driving smoother. Guess if she does not want it I will have it. The daughter is 8 so we have a long time before she needs to drive.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NOT NEEDING ALL THE TIN, EVER

yes Im shouting, I dont know who you have been talking too, but you wouldnt drive a conventional car without coolant, yet this is what you are doing here and to compound issues the fan is sucking in hot air from the exhaust area, just put the tins on, if its running cool, which I very much doubt, there will be other reasons. Does it have a thermostat?
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

marklee wrote:
85burb wrote:

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS NOT NEEDING ALL THE TIN, EVER

yes Im shouting, I dont know who you have been talking too, but you wouldnt drive a conventional car without coolant, yet this is what you are doing here and to compound issues the fan is sucking in hot air from the exhaust area, just put the tins on, if its running cool, which I very much doubt, there will be other reasons. Does it have a thermostat?

I don't think you read it what I said good. I said I am installing the tins. It was not at all in the slightest bit hot when I got home from the trip. It was only 35-40 degrees outside though and it has the hood popped out at the top. So unwad your underpants. I installed the front tin and oil cooler outlet tonight. So take deep breaths and back away from the key board. It is getting the tins. I REPEAT IT IS GETTING TINS ASAP......... I'm gonna say it does not have a thermostat. I am also gonna say it does not have the flaps.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

I know that beetle! It's an Air Cooler's old ride. I've always liked it.
Congrats!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Thanks! We love the car too. I seen it at dubsplash last year and loved it then. Who ever built the car did a good job. We don't plan on changing much on the car. Going to get a new header that has pre heat tubes and put the missing cooling tins on it and fix the shift bushings. No major changes. We bought the car cause it was exactly what she wanted.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Glad for you that you did not over heat. In Texas it will. I too am on the side of all German Sheet metal in place along with the Thermostat and flap system. I do stress German as it fits the first time every time. While you have the engine out installing the proper stuff, a good to inspect the engine to body seals around the engine. Try to source out a German oil bath air cleaner. It has the bonus of super cleaning the air as well as the built in velocity stack.
Like the car hope to see it at the Texas Classic.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

I got all the tins installed so everyone can sleep well tonight. Drove it to work a few times and it has been good. Hope to register it today at lunch time!!! Also got the shifter bushings in the mail. Should install those Saturday and hopefully it will shift silky smooth after that.
jtwaller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Nice find. I love it! I live in hideaway. I daily drive a white bug with red wheels. I will be going to the classic. If you want to car pool we usually have a pretty big group. If I can help you do anything please don't hesitate to ask.
JT Waller
903-952-3799
( O \ ! / O )
1973 Thing
1969 Squareback
1967 Bug
1968 Bug
1971 Bug
mark tucker wrote:
the more you stroke it the better it feals.bore it out while your there, you will like it if you do it corectly. watch out for the ones that are used and abused, they can be headaches.well all of them can be headaches.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

jtwaller wrote:
Nice find. I love it! I live in hideaway. I daily drive a white bug with red wheels. I will be going to the classic. If you want to car pool we usually have a pretty big group. If I can help you do anything please don't hesitate to ask.
JT Waller
903-952-3799

Thank you! Does your bug have a stinger? I have seen a really nice low white bug with a stinger at lowes and driving a few times. I had a white 67 but it was stolen when I lived in Arizona for school. Crying or Very sad
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Got the shifter bushing and coupler installed Saturday and today I installed a new fan belt. Then we took a cruise to the ole Pizza Hut in mineola. Then got a pie (Apple) and cruised home. Car ran great. Pizza was great and pie was great. What else could you ask for?
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

I tried to install the new header and j tubes but the collector was too far in for the stinger to work. The stinger hit the apron and the bumper. So losts of money wasted and all I got out of the deal was new exhaust gaskets and a chrome stinger on the old merged header. I am thinking about making heat riser ports for the merged header. Has anyone ever had issues with headers like this? It was the new empi "premium" small header. It does have some really thick flanges on it though.
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

You're in Lindale, TX? I just saw a 1970 Beetle for sale on eBay, located in Lindale, TX:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291685154688

Might be worth checking out.
85burb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

No beetle buying money left. It does look like a pretty nice car though.
toddmin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Our new beetle Reply with quote

Here's my 1967 Beetle, which I purchased in August 2015. My first car was a 1967 Beetle, over 20 years ago, and I jumped at the chance to get another. Funny, even though I have my Beetle, I still look at them on Craigslist and eBay. I guess you can never have too many!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: