Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Mexican / Brazilian Beetles - All years
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I bought it on eBay, I think I paid around $10. It was a used one from an old Beetle, but you get new ones at WW (also $10 US):

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111035313

Here's a cool VW VDO radio from Brazil. I'd like to see if I can find one of these Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I allready have a radio for this beetle. It's a Kenwood, and it doesn't have a CD player. It has an SD card slot and FM radio. We only listen to MP3's or the radio anyway, so this one is perfect for us. A benefit of "no cd player" is that the radio is cheaper and it's shorter.
And you made me curious on how the radio will fit, so I installed it (it was also a nice break from welding my passenger door Mad ).
And it looks like this:

I think it's fine like it is. Yes, the creases are visible, but I hope they will still dissapear if the sun warms up the dash in the summer. If not, then I will have a look at the radio bevel.
Thanks for the link!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
.... Yes, the creases are visible, but I hope they will still dissapear if the sun warms up the dash in the summer. If not, then I will have a look at the radio bevel.
Thanks for the link!

The looks good, the bevel will fit your radio. Idea , maybe try a hair dryer on the creases.
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
I allready have a radio for this beetle. It's a Kenwood, and it doesn't have a CD player. It has an SD card slot and FM radio. We only listen to MP3's or the radio anyway, so this one is perfect for us. A benefit of "no cd player" is that the radio is cheaper and it's shorter.
And you made me curious on how the radio will fit, so I installed it (it was also a nice break from welding my passenger door Mad ).
And it looks like this:

I think it's fine like it is. Yes, the creases are visible, but I hope they will still dissapear if the sun warms up the dash in the summer. If not, then I will have a look at the radio bevel.
Thanks for the link!

Nice! That's a USB port not an SD slot. I don't even listen to cd's anymore, isn't it nice to just put everything on a thumb drive and pop that in and listen to whatever you want?

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Keith wrote:

Nice! That's a USB port not an SD slot. I don't even listen to cd's anymore, isn't it nice to just put everything on a thumb drive and pop that in and listen to whatever you want?

It's got both, an USB port and an SD card slot, see: link to Kenwood KMM-357SD manual
The SD card is hidden behind the removable front.

Yes, it's very nice to listen to MP3's in the car! You can drive accross europe and never hear the same song twice. Laughing Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I had been thinking about adding an auxiliary reverse light to my car for a while. I wanted to get one that matched the Hella Rear Fog light that I already have installed.

I had searched for a while and finally found one on Amazon (in the UK):

Idea I had this brilliant idea Rolling Eyes that the new reverse light would only I turn on if the headlights were on (and the car was in reverse).

A few $$ later I had a relay and some connectors. I used a fog light relay (PN 191941595) from an Audi and a relay plug (PN 161937501B) that would clip directly into the relay assembly at the front (no drilling).

Using Gerrelt's advice (thanks!); I tapped into the reverse light circuit by adding a piggy back inside the tail light assembly. In that way I did not cut into the existing wiring:

I threaded a new wire through the loom. I used blue to match the existing reverse light wire:

and a yellow wire from the light to a connector in the engine compartment:

I was able to thread the wires into the existing loom in the engine compartment (to the point where they go through the firewall).

At the front of the car I installed the relay:

onto the existing relay block (before):

You can see that the new relay (#110) does not look out of place:

As it turns out there was a connection on the rear fog light circuit (after the switch), so I tapped into that, (instead of the headlight circuit) to activate the relay. It was just a matter of changing the old style VW connector (1 to 1) with a 1 to 2. (No wires were cut, no holes were drilled for the job).

So now if the car is in reverse and I have the rear fog light activated, the auxiliary reverse light will also activate, otherwise only the stock reverse lights are on:

Here's a picture of the car without the lights on:

Finally, after 4 years, I have lights on each side and my OCD is satisfied Laughing
1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Nice work! That looks like a factory install.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

I was thinking to add a relay for the rear fog light, your setup is rather interesting Very Happy
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Nice work! That looks like a factory install.

Thanks!

GArBa wrote:
I was thinking to add a relay for the rear fog light, your setup is rather interesting Very Happy

The relay socket (161937501B) snaps onto the existing ones. You can also get the fuse socket (161937501), that also snaps on:

The relay (191941595) matches the existing ones:

To keep everything VW, I also used 1J0973702 & 1J0973802 connectors:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
ok, other small improvement to the dash.. bought porsche part 9116132340201C (rear fog light's switch cap) even if I wasn't sure of the size... it is smaller than the hella cap but it fits!!!

Garba, thanks for this idea Very Happy . I liked it so much I thought I would copy you (I hope you don't mind Exclamation ). My new cap arrived this week, I think that the new cap gives the dash a more finished, cleaner look:

Before:

After:

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Looks good Hopkin!

Now I have to join you guys.. I really don't like the yellow fog light swith too.
So, I looked around and I had an old hazard light switch, which had the red cap without a symbol on it.
And I swithed it:

Not as good looking as the Porsche one, but better then the yellow/orange one! Cool
Removing the yellow one was harder then I thought..
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

hopkin: great look!

Gerrelt: the trick I used to remove the yellow cap was to lightly warm up the rubber part in my hands then gently pushing the cap out from the back using a chopstick while squeezing the rubber.

I don't know how vehicle inspections are in the Netherlands, but AFAIK in the EU the rear fog lamp warning light must be amber in color to be legal.

PS. weather is improving, this spring I'm preparing a big update on my brake reservoir issue and while I was at it I've also bought some new vredestein sprint classic tyres to replace the OE euzkadis which are starting to perish... 155/80R15 must be the hardest tyre size to come by nowadays. Confused
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
hopkin: great look!

Gerrelt: the trick I used to remove the yellow cap was to lightly warm up the rubber part in my hands then gently pushing the cap out from the back using a chopstick while squeezing the rubber.

I don't know how vehicle inspections are in the Netherlands, but AFAIK in the EU the rear fog lamp warning light must be amber in color to be legal.

PS. weather is improving, this spring I'm preparing a big update on my brake reservoir issue and while I was at it I've also bought some new vredestein sprint classic tyres to replace the OE euzkadis which are starting to perish... 155/80R15 must be the hardest tyre size to come by nowadays. Confused

There's no regulation here, as rear fog lights are optional (and rare) anyways (other than the odd exception, new cars are not equipped with rear fog lights). Also the only inspection we have on our cars here is when we first buy it (no annual inspection, but we have an emissions test once every two years for cars newer than 1989).

You can be stopped and the license plate pulled if the police think that your vehicle is unsafe.

I'm also going to do the brakes this year, just pads and shoes, the master cylinder, calipers and wheel cylinders are all in good shape.

No sign of spring yet, we got a record snowfall of 51 cm of snow on Tuesday, so at least another 6 weeks before I can head out. More snow this week Evil or Very Mad .

I think the 155/80R15's are still common in Mexico. I see that Antonio ships out sets from time to time. Here in Canada (US also), I can easily get BF Goodrich 155 80R15 by special order.

I have 3 full sets of tires and rims (plus a spare, 13 mounted tires) for my car:

The original (factory) General tires (155/80R15). I put them on for winter storage. They are close to being unsafe, the treads are worn down and there are some cracks in sidewall, also they are 20 years old. The rims are original to the car and have a few scuffs:

Just after I bought the car I bought these Kumho Power Star tires, mounted on rims, in California (they were taken off a 2001 Beetle with only a couple hundred kms driven (from Tijuana to San Diego). The rims are mint condition:

Last year I bought these rims from a Samba user in Japan, and the Cooper tires came from Connecticut (my neighbor bought the car and sold me the tires):

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:

No, that's not an issue here in the Netherlands. Maybe it's an EU rule for new cars, but it's not a check at our (2 yearly for oldtimers) safety inspection.

GArBa wrote:

Did you know 165/80R15 was an option for beetles when bought new? That size is more available, and drives good too.
I use that size on my 1303 beetle. I don't have the sprint classics, but they are from Vredestein also. This size is also availabe for the Sprint Classic model, if I remember correctly.
I plan to use that size on my 1600i too.

Sidenote: on both cars I use 5.5 inch wide alloy wheels, not the standard 4.5 inch wheels. But the 165 option was used on 4.5 wheels too.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:

Did you know 165/80R15 was an option for beetles when bought new?

I know... and they were on the type-approval fiches used in Italy for officially-imported bugs... but that doesn't apply to me: as my bug was imported from germany on german plates as a one-off, they issued italian papers with the size the car came with and nothing else. To be able to use 165s I would have had to request VW (depending on whom I asked, that could be VW of mexico, VW of Italy or VWAG...) a statement allowing me to do so and have the car inspected at an official Ministry of Transportation facility to have the papers updated with the new size... Shocked

I'm aware of the BFgoodrich T/As in 155, there are also toyo 310s in the same size BUT... they don't carry the correct EU homologation for the model year of my bug. Evil or Very Mad Even my current euzkadis (they have DOT but not E markings) would not be technically correct and at the last inspection they advised me to switch to EU-approved rubbers to avoid insurance hassles.

Italian bureaucracy will eventually kill me... Rolling Eyes
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Ah yes, that's a bummer. The Italian rules sound almost as strict as the German ones. I didn't know that.
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Mexican/Brazilian Beetles all years - Post your pics Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
The Italian rules sound almost as strict as the German ones.

that would be nothing... the real issue is that you can never have a definitive answer, and usually what you do is always somehow wrong.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one more item for the category: "Modifications needed to use a 1972 floorpan under a 1996 1600i body"
It's a minor one, though..

I've come to the stage where I could put the rubber floormats back in. And, earlier in this thread, I mentioned that the handbrake and shifter is moved 4 cm backward on the 1996 floorpan compared to the 1972 floorpan.

Of course, this means the floormat's don't fit anymore, the rear one:

(BTW: the seatbelt holes line up perfectly! Cool )

The front one:

The fix is easy, just cut 4 cm out of the floormats, and it will fit again. This leaves a gap of 4 cm behind the handbrake and shifter.
For the handbrake I used ducttape (on the back of the mat) to stick the front cut-out piece to the back, which looks OK.
For the shifter, I just cut it out along the oval shape that was allready in the mat. Which looks fine.

Another thing: I wanted to buy some velour floor mats, to go on top of the rubber floormat. But I discovered there's a problem. Most floormats sold today are for the pre-1972 beetles with the old style seat frames OR for the 1972 and later models with the 3 point seat frames.
I thought I could just buy these last ones. But, the passenger footwell mat is meant for the beetles with the footrest, like these:

The 1996 1600i didn't get this footrest (probably because of cost-saving).
So, do I need to get a footrest? Or could I use the pre-1972 front mats with 1972 and later rear mats..
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerrelt wrote:
Another thing: I wanted to buy some velour floor mats, to go on top of the rubber floormat. But I discovered there's a problem. Most floormats sold today are for the pre-1972 beetles with the old style seat frames OR for the 1972 and later models with the 3 point seat frames.
I thought I could just buy these last ones. But, the passenger footwell mat is meant for the beetles with the footrest, like these:

The 1996 1600i didn't get this footrest (probably because of cost-saving).
So, do I need to get a footrest? Or could I use the pre-1972 front mats with 1972 and later rear mats..

Are there slats for the top of the foot rest to slide into? If not you may have to go with the older floor mats for the front and newer ones for the rear.

The newer style mats will look terrible without the footrest, the PO installed this one in my car:

Too bad you did not order these from Antonio when he had them, he's out of stock now and they are no longer available; (this is my set):

1972 914 (past)
2015 Golf (current)
Gerrelt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look great, Hopkin!
Yeah too bad he doesn't have them anymore. On the other hand, by using a footrest, I can user floormats that can be bought at every VW beetle shop.

hopkin wrote:

Are there slats for the top of the foot rest to slide into? If not you may have to go with the older floor mats for the front and newer ones for the rear.

And the answer is.... Yes! The slats are there:

I once owned a 1973 1300 beetle, from which only the floorpan still lives (but I don't own it anymore). The body was in a very bad state, so I scrapped it. But, of course I first removed all the parts I though might be usefull.
One of these parts was... a foot rest plate! Cool
After rummaging through my parts stash, I found it, and it fits:

In this picture I allready cut two slits in the carpet so the two lips of the foot rest could go through it. The top of the footrest stands away from the "firewall", which I don't really like... it will probably bend pretty soon when somebody puts his/her feet on it. I might modify it a bit there.

I've test-fitted the floormat of my other beetle:

My other beetle is a 1303 super beetle, but the floormat should be the same.
As you can see the plate is still a bit visible. So maybe I have to glue some carpet to the plate to make it look better, or maybe just paint it black.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 190, 191, 192  Next
Jump to:
Page 24 of 192

Jump to: