Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front emblem mounting measurements
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdubyah73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They pop out. Score paint around edges with exacto knife work carefully to pop out. Maybe use masking tape around them and pry gently with plastic putty knife.

Bill

73 bounty hunter, sold.
'77 transporter, junked had crotch rot.
Dubless, but have a CPR built stroker waiting for a new to me Beetle
'93 Fleetwood Bounder 34'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or (if you can hold them still) find a sheet metal screw of the correct size, then screw it into the old clip and PULL!!

Good luck Smile

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go at them with a soldering iron Razz

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jandersonx32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if i've missed anything, but I just purchased a metal emblem for my early '72 from jbugs: http://www.jbugs.com/product/211-601B.html

The descriptions states it mounts with four 5mm nuts. But where do the nuts screw in? I've looked behind my kick panels and couldn't find any place where the front emblem could connect. Any ideas?

-Jeff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jandersonx32 wrote:
Forgive me if i've missed anything, but I just purchased a metal emblem for my early '72 from jbugs: http://www.jbugs.com/product/211-601B.html

The descriptions states it mounts with four 5mm nuts. But where do the nuts screw in? I've looked behind my kick panels and couldn't find any place where the front emblem could connect. Any ideas?

-Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dana Champion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The factory emblem was mounted with posts affixed in plastic "receivers" that slipped into the original holes in the front of the bus.

Aftermarket emblems use threaded posts with fastening nuts. Using this method does keep your emblem from ending up on someone else's bus ! Evil or Very Mad
naturalmohican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: 1968-72 Front emblem mounting hole template Reply with quote

Hey guys, I posted this over on earlybay.com and thought it would be useful for you too:

Hey guys, as a little thank you to the forum I have created a 1:1 scale drawing that you can stick to the front of your bus and use as a template if you are trying to fit a front badge but have no holes present. I have taken the measurements from the photo posted above, and checked it against my own early bay.

You can download it from here:

http://naturalmohican.com/permanent/forum/VW-T2-FrontBadge-Template.pdf

If anyone wants me to print out a full size version for them I may be able to do that soon as I have purchased a plotter, otherwise any printing company can do this for you.

Also, I have had a carbon fibre front badge made which is absolutely awesome!

I was chatting to some of my pals recently about my bus (and the lack of progress I'm making!) and they told me they have started making carbon fibre parts and offered to make me a VW badge out of carbon fibre as a one off. With all the effort they went to to produce this for me, I felt I had to tell people about it, and although they did this as a one off for me, they have everything already in place and I’ve persuaded the guys to do more of these and told them to offer it to the forum.

I’ve got tonnes of photos but none showing it on the van yet... will wait till summer before fitting it. I know they are more than capable of producing these as well as other badges and parts as long as there is enough interest so I just thought I would make this post, what do you guys think? Should I start a new thread offering a group buy for the badge and see what interest it brings up?[/img]

Link to original thread:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27296
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Front emblem mounting measurements T2 Bus Reply with quote

url=http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7974930#7974930]Front emblem mounting measurements T2 Bus[/url]

1968-72 front emblem mounting measurements
241853601D VW EMBLEM, 1968-72 Bus, chrome
211853615 VW EMBLEM CLIP, 4 required, 1968-72 Bus
brenthughes wrote:
Here are the dimensions from my '68.

The measurements involving mounting holes are taken from the center of the hole.

I'm guessing it would be easiest to center the emblem by dividing the the 2-11/16" grill center measurement and 6-3/8" pin to pin measurement in half. Maybe use a plumb line if you can level the bus itself.

A 15/64" drill bit fit snug in my mounting holes, made thinner by a couple layers of paint. However, I believe a 1/4" bit will be too large.

My only advice would be to punch your marks, start with fresh, small bits and move up to the 15/64" size.

Good Luck!

Brent Hughes

1968-72 Front emblem mounting hole template
naturalmohican wrote:
Hey guys, I posted this over on earlybay.com and thought it would be useful for you too:

Hey guys, as a little thank you to the forum I have created a 1:1 scale drawing that you can stick to the front of your bus and use as a template if you are trying to fit a front badge but have no holes present. I have taken the measurements from the photo posted above, and checked it against my own early bay.

You can download it from here:

http://naturalmohican.com/permanent/forum/VW-T2-FrontBadge-Template.pdf

1973-79 front emblem mounting measurements
Thanks to mayor ratwell.
241853601E VW EMBLEM, mounts to front nose on 1973-79
211853619 VW EMBLEM CLIPS, 3 required per bus, 1973-79

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: