Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
shane morgan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: industrial engine Reply with quote

I have an industrial engine that powers a western germay welding machine. i got it turn over. Im currently looking for new plug wires. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

I acquired an engine that was on a corn-detasseler machine; normal 12V looking flywheel & clutch, small diameter generator (12V); hooked to bus 3-rib trans. Governor belt-driven like another pic on this thread, crank- type pulley bolt, also flange on pulley that ran hydraulic pump as did both trans. flanges. Apparently there were 3 engines on this rig running 9 pumps. Serial# 26-056805 (not 126 that I can see. Normal rocker set-up. Suppose this to be single port 1600? Some trouble w/ pics, phone about dead, maybe later.
singlecab64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

Can any one tell me about this engine
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

paulymx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

I am told this engine is a VW industrial engine. Early type 1100cc. The engine number however doesn't line up with the numbers in the list on the technical session. It is 1-4-3-2 3031117. Any advice welcome.

1958 Ariel Leader
1959 DKW F94
1960 IWL Troll
1962 Volkswagen Karman Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

From the Beetle engine # listing:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Engine # 3031117 is a Beetle engine from June, 1959

Last engine # for May, 1959: 2 996 628
Last engine # for June, 1959: 3 059 836
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

That should be a 1200 36 hp then not an 1100 25 hp.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

For getting known the differences between engines for industrial purpose and for vehicles, it might be intersting to read:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/industrialdating.php

Further, I heard about differences regarding the pressure spring plates for exhaust valves, but have no proof for it. I heard that some people who sell indurstrial engines, change these plates first before selling, for getting these engines ready for driving. It might have something to do with the constant rpm for industrial use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbone57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

I have a 69 vw beetle that has what might be a industrial motor the # 126 046908.anyone have an idea about it or where i might get information on it
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/industrialdating.php
I don't see a 126 046 engine designation on the list above.
Good Luck.

Oh, and welcome to the samba.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

Tbone57 wrote:
I have a 69 vw beetle that has what might be a industrial motor the # 126 046908.anyone have an idea about it or where i might get information on it

I've a 126a 1600sp with the number 093643 build date 1984. It's a mexi as21 universal case with mexi heads and a forged crank. I'm gonna use it in my bus.
vintagefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

I drove a truck in the late 70's and 80's and we regularly picked up VW powered fire pumps at a place in PA which were being shipped to South America and the middle east. The entire pump and engine were oversprayed red. The engines were single port with some sort of governed carburetor on them and a ton of water protection. The air filter sat in a tube atop of the unit, smaller units had the AF on the top of the shroud, some had it hanging at the top of a frame that held the whole thing enclosed. The engines were coming in from either Mexico or South America.

I had actually gotten hold of one that was 'damaged' in shipment back then and it was basically nothing I could use. This was in the very early 80's, maybe 1981 or so. Not long after the beetle was gone from the dealers here.
Its been a lot of years but what I do remember is that the block was single oil relief, dog house oil cooler, single port heads but with tiny valves and smaller pistons but on what looked to be a bus block with the front lower mounting holes. The exhaust ports were tiny but the intake was larger than what was on a typical engine. The jugs were super thick walled, with obviously smaller pistons. It had an alternator, but not the same as what was on a later bug, but an American brand replacement. The block had a low oil sensor mounted into what would be a type 3 dipstick hole.
The tin was full wrap in the rear, and the pushrod tubes were super heavy but still crush type. The pushrods were longer than most, and the rockers were beefier looking with more 'hook' to their shape.
The block could have been reused for a car but the single relief wasn't anything special. The studs were 8mm, the valve covers were stamped with the name of the pump maker. There was also a duct and snorkel of sorts on the fan intake that reached around and faced low on both sides of the engine, it had to be removed in order to remove the valve covers. The motor did have the later trapped reverse bellhousing bolt.
It also had a front seal and the pulley looked stock but was machined to fit the seal. The exhaust was short with a single outlet that turned 90 degrees with a huge spark arrester over the tip the size of a coffee can.
The crank was fully machined, I'm not sure if it was billet or cast but it wasn't the same as what was in a car. I gave it to a buddy but when he used it in a 1600, the pistons didn't reach TDC. so it had a shorter stroke, thus the different top end and jugs too. The distributor was fixed advance cast iron, with a rubber booted cap and sealed plug wires similar to those on a military or aircraft engine.
When I first brought it home, my thought was 'How different could it be? Right? But what i found was almost a completely different motor purpose built for single RPM use in places where there were no other option. Those units had huge fuel tanks, 30 and 40 gallons or so. There were different models but the one I tore down was the smallest of those we saw, some units were huge with dual port motors, larger pumps, huge fuel tanks and external oil tanks and pressure lubrication to what looked to be a dry sump system. Those had oil filters as well. I was told that those were actually full fire engine bodies to be placed on trucks or wagons where they were headed.

There was guy not far from me who got hold of one of those motors and managed to use it on a small kit type air plane he had. It ran, but I never saw it fly, but heard he did use it, until it crashed in a corn field one day after a fuel line broke or cracked. He didn't get hurt but those who went to help were sort of shocked as how that motor was rigged to the plane and how sketchy the whole thing was. He did fix it and flew it out of there after they pulled it to nearby farm lane, but I never heard about it after that. This was in the late 80's or so.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

Interesting! I tore one down that was in an agricultural Spray Coup used for crop spraying, It was a 1600 DP and the only things different from a Beetle/Bus engine were the governor, carb, 003 distributor and it had "J" tubes and industrial tins instead of heat exchangers. Everything else was pure German VW.
vintagefinds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

The one that I tore down back then had finned, 90 degree iron castings that met up with the exhaust which sat below. None of the exhaust was anything like what was on a car. If I remember right the distributor was something like Prestolite or Mallory and fixed timing. The cap had thread down boots, as in 100% water proof.
The larger motors, those that had dual port heads looked more or less like a car engine with a governor, but the small, portable units were completely different. They even went so far as to put their own valve covers on it. It also has foil heat shielding all over, there was sections of it clipped to the valve cover clamps, under the motor, and all around the perimeter of the tin, which was skirted to the bottom not outward as in a car. Air was picked up on each side of the thing through the ducting that ran up both sides and to the rear fan intake, and the out going air went down and toward the flywheel directed by an unattached piece of tin that met up with the rear tin behind the crank pulley.
Everything was painted fire engine red, wires, coil, intakes, tin, all of it. The only decals on the unit were on an engraved plate near the control panel. It also had a manual choke. Size wise, the whole package, cage and all was very compact, three of them would fit in the bed of a small pickup in a row, maybe even with the gate closed. The pump was all aluminum, the impeller and housing, sort of a huge snail shaped castings with few primer ports and two valves controlled at the panel The pump impeller bolted directly on a flywheel where a clutch pressure plate would go. The pump housing on the one I tore down was smashed, it had gotten dropped off a forklift after it left the warehouse somewhere and came back, but the source refused it so it got tossed. They would just through things like that in the dumpster. When they told us to toss it, I tossed it in my truck instead and was told at the time 'That better not ever turn up for sale somewhere'. In other words, don't fix and sell it and they didn't care. I'm sure insurance paid someone for it.
The place where we picked them up didn't touch the engines, they just attached their pumps and painted them.
All of the pumps with VW engines were going out of the country. The company who I drove for then was an export shipper who did nothing but pickup, crate and ship items overseas. A business that all but went away as nearly all their clients sold out, closed up, or moved production offshore. I left in the late 80's, they were gone within about 5 years or so after I left.

Thinking back, I really can't say if the engines were all assembled by VW, or if they were supplied by a custom builder who was building them to purpose using many of their own parts. Considering that the distributor, alternator, and ignition were all aftermarket, as was the exhaust, tin, and oiling system, they may well have been creating their own heads and cylinders to use on a VW based bottom end. The fact that it had such a short stroke also tells me not much was actually factory VW. No more than back in the day when we bought blocks from Bug Pack to build 3.0L dune buggy motors, not much of those motors used any stock OEM VW parts.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody Know About VW Industrial Engines? Reply with quote

Very few of the engines built by people on this site have VW parts in them either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: