Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I hate Craigslist
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

that woman single handedly changed my texting policy. now, people must call to set up an appointment. when they drop their car off and sign the RO, they can check a box that explicitly states we will only exchange text messages when they are "on deck".

another issue was people texting at 8,9,10:00 at night then getting pissed sending aggressive texts in the morning. at that point I would CALL them and remind them that this isn't 24-7....I could give a f*ck about your problem at 5:00:01 pm...you drop your time card at 5, so why am I any different?

I personally think texting with a client usually de-values the relationship. again, there are exceptions but hiding behind a text is just stupid. quite honestly, you can complete a phone call FASTER than firing off a dozen texts

some of my customers can fire off a text in a bathroom/etc as some are teachers/nurses etc. they are told never to text for an appointment or a problem. too much emotion gets lost in texting...usually.

in the automotive industry 7 out of 10 people will try and "get in the door" with something stupid like an o/c or a bulb out. once scheduled, the have a list a mile long and get pissed because they were not scheduled time for the list.

texting does have it's place. and I would never give my # on CL....email only and once I screen you, I get your number and set up a time to call. as stated, CL is free, and you get what you pay for

and yes, she was of the big stupid sunglasses, bedazzeled phone, drop kick dog variety

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Chargers are only driven by law enforcement and people who wear pajamas to the grocery store.

That is some funny shit.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
texting does have it's place. and I would never give my # on CL....email only and once I screen you, I get your number and set up a time to call.

Agree with this. Email me first, I give you my phone #. We talk on the phone and set everything up.

Texting is ok afterward.
I normally meet Craigslist people at the local Target parking lot so texts like "I'm on my way" or "I hit traffic and am going to be a little late" are fine with me since I might be sitting there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

The no text thing for me is a way to weed out the idiots who don't read my ads just like i won't do business with anyone on here that isn't a member or have zero to bad feedback

All my cl ads says 'no texts send phone# and good time for me to call you back' on top and bottom

i always give the first emailer their change then move on to the next if you can't follow simple instructions then i don't want to do business with you

don't like it? I don't care there is anyways someone else who will do business with me on my terms so it's your loss Wink

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:

don't like it? I don't care there is anyways someone else who will do business with me on my terms so it's your loss Wink

^^^This.
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

I also clearly have in the bottom of all my Craigslist adds, I Do Not Text and I won't answer emails. I am probably one of the most old school guys on here. I don't even own a cell phone and I have never sent a text in my life. If I cant talk to you on the phone, in person, or when necessary through an email, then I clearly don't need to speak with you.

Quote:
As for Craigslist, it really pisses me off when their first question is " what's your bottom line?" Or they ask shitloads of questions through text. Then you get the picture collectors, just like texting, if you can't get an idea of what you want in three or four questions, call! I'm not going to crawl under the effin car to take pics of the attachment point of the inner pivot point.

This fry's my ass too. Soon as I'm asked what's your bottom line, I already know I don't care to deal with this person and I won't negotiate one dime. I usually tell people no I'm not going to take a bunch more pictures for you. If you want to know what it looks like then come see, or quit wasting my time.

I absolutely hate dealing with Craigslist adds but about the only alternative is Ebay and I told them to kiss my ass a long time ago along with their Paypal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
This fry's my ass too. Soon as I'm asked what's your bottom line, I already know I don't care to deal with this person and I won't negotiate one dime. I usually tell people no I'm not going to take a bunch more pictures for you. If you want to know what it looks like then come see, or quit wasting my time.

I made that mistake only once. Guy asked me my "bottom line" and when I told him, he immediately offered something lower. Now I won't talk price unless they are face to face and have cash in hand.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
Calls only ! I think that people who do not post their phone number are the same people who cover their license plates with a rag. Stacy

I NEVER put my phone number on a CL add. I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry calling me because once you post your phone number it is out there and can't be taken back. I put in the add for them to give me THEIR contact info and I will contact them.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
I also clearly have in the bottom of all my Craigslist adds, I Do Not Text and I won't answer emails. I am probably one of the most old school guys on here. I don't even own a cell phone and I have never sent a text in my life. If I cant talk to you on the phone, in person, or when necessary through an email, then I clearly don't need to speak with you.

My buddy buys and sells on Craigslist all the time. He's a phone number only guy too, as he doesn't text. When he finds something on Craigslist that he wants to buy, that's only got an e-mail listed, he calls me up and has me send an e-mail for the info (preferably a phone number) so he can contact them. It's been working pretty good for a few years now. He doesn't e-mail, as he's worried about getting a virus in his computer.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

In my experience an actual caller is a serious customer who still has the social skills to converse and see a sale through. Texters are time wasters as are 80%of e-mailers. I can tell a flake on the phone right off. Over all my CL sales have gone really well when an actual call is involved.
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

I don't know if any of you have encountered this but I can't believe how many times people have gone through the 20 questions just to get to the end and say, OH, do you ever make it over to, blah blah blah, (referring to the other side of town) and would you bring that with you. Or there's' the, I'll give you ... (generally half what your asking) if you deliver it.

I've told many people, I'll be happy to bring it to you. Give me your address, I charge $45 dollars an hour, you pay roundtrip, and I need cash when I get there.

I've also told many others a few things I'll refrain from posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

I just tell the lowballers that their offer is an acceptable deposit. Then there's the foreign contingency that makes an offer, then shows up with cash but it's $200-$500 less than agreed upon when you count it & they give you some BS line that they understood the lower #. I tore up their $ & handed it back to them & drove off.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

My personal favorite is when they drive from 3-5 hrs away & then try to lowball me. If they're coming from that far away, they're going to pay damn near full asking price (or whatever we've agreed upon) or they're going home empty handed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

Maybe I'm too easy going but I've never had a problem buying or selling on Craigslist or TheSamba, I try to communicate by email most of the time, I don't answer my phone if I don't recognize the number so if someone shoots me a text I don't mind, but I don't go into detail over text. Same when I'm looking at an ad that says please text, if I need to know more details I will ask to call them. When I'm selling a car I never meet somewhere to show it, they must come to my house, then if they don't show up, my time and gas is not wasted. Most of the time I can tell if they are serious or not.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

Quote:
I NEVER put my phone number on a CL add. I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry calling me because once you post your phone number it is out there and can't be taken back. I put in the add for them to give me THEIR contact info and I will contact them.

I realize this is a free world and we can do as we please and we all have reasons for doing what we do ,but with today's technology where Cell phones and house phones ID incoming calls the days of crank calls are all but gone. If someone does repeatedly call you then you can see who it is and just ignore and they will quit calling.
With today's search engine and Google ,Thinking you can hide because someone does not have your phone number or your license plate is blocked is a silly notion.
I am a busy guy and if I can get to the meat of a conversation with a simple phone call and not have to spend an hour texting and playing phone tag ,that'll always be my option.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
16CV's wrote:
Calls only ! I think that people who do not post their phone number are the same people who cover their license plates with a rag. Stacy

Exactly. I buy and sell a ton through CL, TS, etc etc and I absolutely will not put my phone number in an ad. I've never had a problem buying or selling anything that way. The ads that people won't take an email, I go right by. You're advertising online, you should be prepared to accept a god damn email from an interested party. I've seen ads for things that I would probably buy, but once they tell me phone calls only, I go right by it. There's a guy that keeps advertising looking for ACVW parts about 45 mins from me, I have tons of the things he needs. Won't provide an email address, phone calls only. Sorry, his search goes on. If he would communicate via email he'd probably have everything he needs by now. His loss.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

vwnutt wrote:
I don't know if any of you have encountered this but I can't believe how many times people have gone through the 20 questions just to get to the end and say, OH, do you ever make it over to, blah blah blah, (referring to the other side of town) and would you bring that with you. Or there's' the, I'll give you ... (generally half what your asking) if you deliver it.

Hahaha, I have had people do that in the past - "Will you deliver it?"

WTF?!? No.

I have offered to and delivered a couple larger things to people though if they didn't have a truck.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
vwnutt wrote:

WTF?!? No.

I have offered to and delivered a couple larger things to people though if they didn't have a truck.

I've delivered a lot of parts, and I always put in my ads that I will do so at the buyer's expense. I've delivered complete camper interiors to Boston, transmissions to Rhode Island, cars to CT and NJ, even a ragtop clip to a guy in WV etc etc. It works for me, I love a road trip and seeing new places and the buyer picks up the cost of transportation. It really helps when selling something large like a camper interior. I've sold a few of them and each time the buyer has had me deliver them to their door. I get the item and delivery cost up front before I leave me house and it's really worked out well for both myself and the buyer.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
Maybe I'm too easy most of the time, I don't answer my phone they must come to my house, then if they don't show up, my time and gas is not wasted. Most of the time I can tell if they are serious or not.

Ya me too and once I have them in the basement I throw down the lotion and say "It rubs the lotion on the body" Very Happy
widefivebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I hate Craigslist Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
EverettB wrote:
vwnutt wrote:

WTF?!? No.

I've delivered a lot of parts, and I always put in my ads that I will do so at the buyer's expense. I've delivered complete camper interiors to Boston, transmissions to Rhode Island, cars to CT and NJ, even a ragtop clip to a guy in WV etc etc. It works for me, I love a road trip and seeing new places and the buyer picks up the cost of transportation. It really helps when selling something large like a camper interior. I've sold a few of them and each time the buyer has had me deliver them to their door. I get the item and delivery cost up front before I leave me house and it's really worked out well for both myself and the buyer.

It must be an area dependent mentality because people here expect to pay half asking price, have you deliver it for free and bring them lunch while your on your way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: