Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Problem checking oil long after running
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunebuggy1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Changed the oil running 10w30 synthetic. Oil is at the correct running level. After running engine it can take long as 8 hours befor the oil settles back on the dipstick. Dont think this is normal where is the oil hiding? Is this a problem?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

It should drain back within 5 minutes. Is the oil still so clean that you don't see it? 10W-30 synthetic will not be thick, has to flow down with gravity. Did you add just under 3 quarts?

Some drill a few small holes in the dipstick so they can see the clean oil easier.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dunebuggy1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Ive had this problem for a while and yes i am using the correct amount of oil. Hasent blown up yet
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

I you have gravity in Barrie, I doubt you'll have real problems if there's no oil leakage and you have added the correct amount.

As Yogi says: "it's gotta go somewhere !!!"
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dunebuggy1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Got gravity just curious. Love my vw
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

If your car has a flux capacitor it may take longer for oil to drain back. (just kidding) Question is though is the oil level acceptable to you on the dip stick.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
dunebuggy1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Not till it sits for 8hr
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Are you pulling out the dipstick only once and checking it?

Think the dip stick seals well enough to trap so air inside the tube the dipstick is in, that keeps out the oil and showing lower than it is.

1. Wait fifteen minutes after engine shut down.
Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off and reinstall it.

2. Wait about ten seconds and pull it out to see what the oil level on the dipstick is.

3. Then just to make sure, repeat step two and see if this second reading is the same.

4. If it needs oil, add about half of what it will need to get to the full mark. Next time you check the oil level again half of what it needs to get to the full mark again. That way you slowly get up to the full mark and not right past it. If engine is doing good check oil every other tank fill up.
dunebuggy1957
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Thanks for your help i will try that
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

My cars are always raked (lowered in the front) which.. changes what is read for correct level.
Keep that in mind .. as where your car is parked when the levels are checked can change what you are reading for its actual oil level..

Just about every air cooled Vw I've owned has done this.. and more.. and the opposite..
You just need to learn to be the Bug..... Laughing

In most cases it should be between the marks if you check it soon after you shut the engine off.. but let it sit overnight.. and it will be FULL .
Its 100% normal for oil to drain back after an overnight cold soak and for it to seem odd. The oil cooler can hold oil as well as the oil galleys, push rod tubes, push rods etc.. The oil cooler is the main culprit for large quantity drain back.
It takes time for ALL or most of the oil to drain back to its small sump.
And being a small sump.. a small amount seems like a lot on the oil level indicator.

Also keep in mind.. oil can grow... Anxious

As oil temps rise.. oil will expand.. DO NOT over fill it. Small sumps and multi viscosity oils are notorious for expanding hot.
I've had some when checked hot right after a drive.. be spot on the full, then the correct level between the marks when I wait 30 minutes, then full after overnight..
I've learned what to expect and oil brands and viscosity do make a difference in oil reaction.

As mentioned.. check it about 15-30 minutes after running.
Yes wipe the stick dry, and slowly insert and count to 10.
If the level is between the marks.. its fine.. Don't add any .
If its below the lower mark add until between the marks.
If its over the top mark its overfilled.

Then recheck it in the morning (I bet its full).

Another method.. simply.. check it cold after overnight .. . It should be on the top full mark. Crank it up.. run it 2-5 minutes and check the level as described .. It will most likely be between the marks.

If its lowered or altered and not level.. learn what your engine likes.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Does a front rake cause the oil level to read artificially lower than actual or higher?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Think about it. What ever end is lowest is where the oil is going to flow. lower in the front less oil in the back.
I always add oil whenever it gets 1/2 qt. low, being the stock system is less than 3 qts. But then I drive mine on a regular basis all over Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
What ever end is lowest is where the oil is going to flow. lower in the front less oil in the back.
:

Yep liquid still seeks its own level..

Note... what is shown on the indicator.. all depends on the indicator position in the sump.. Wink

As simply stated.. .. simply...
60ragtop wrote:
Think about it.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Problem checking oil long after running Reply with quote

Dipstick is essentially in the right rear of the engine. Get a rectangle baking dish, fill it halfway with water, and put a piece of tape near one corner on the edge. Then tip slightly the pan and see were the water goes...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: