Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting 15x7...maybe 16x8?
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
P-Scot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Fitting 15x7...maybe 16x8? Reply with quote

Hey Guys, i have a project I am pursuing and decided its time for rims. Ive always liked the bbs style rims so I will pursue those with a different brand. I plan on redrilling my rotors to 4x100....but the biggest question I am asking for is...will it fit? and how?

Here are my measurements. I wanted to go with 16" but those are only available with 8" wide rims (et 20) and cb of 57.1

If i were to go with 15 rims they would 7" wide rims (et 15) and cb of 57.1?

Thanks in advance. I have done research, but the offset idea throws me of. Thanks!
-'73 Toyota FJ40
-'69 VW Manx 2180cc Turbo
-'85 Mini Cooper (25th Anniv Ediion)
-'84 Mini Cooper (Chelsea Edition)
-'67 VW Sandrail 1915cc (SOLD)

Instagram @volkswaggg
P-Scot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 15x7...maybe 16x8? Reply with quote

This is what they look like. Really wanted something like how @aaperi had on his vw fastback.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-'73 Toyota FJ40
-'69 VW Manx 2180cc Turbo
-'85 Mini Cooper (25th Anniv Ediion)
-'84 Mini Cooper (Chelsea Edition)
-'67 VW Sandrail 1915cc (SOLD)

Instagram @volkswaggg
JBlom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 15x7...maybe 16x8? Reply with quote

7*15" et15 may work. But 8*16" with et20 will not work if your ride is lowered.
piledriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting 15x7...maybe 16x8? Reply with quote

JBlom wrote:
7*15" et15 may work. But 8*16" with et20 will not work if your ride is lowered.

I recently stuck some 944T manhole covers on my 73 square, 16x8, EDIT 245/50-16s ET52.5, 6" with same ET up front, with 205/55/16s
(The 928 version of those rims is ET65)

So 8s ET~36-38ish would bolt on w/o spacers, with bump stop trimming and a single spring plate. (trimmed the trailing arm back some and deleted the 4th bolt as well for max clearance)

It won't matter if they are 18s as long as the offset, diameter and section width is right.
(The 16s look "right" though, 18s (IMHO) don't (tried some 8" twists to see how it looked)

I used 15mm spacers and had to switch to single spring plates and cut off the outer ~1/3 of the torsions bump stop and bulge above it for full travel with >1/2" inner clearance.
(cycled suspension w/o bars in torsion to be sure)

You will probably have to roll the fender lip out back, I did that before I started clearancing and lowering things and I stretched the fenders more than probably required.

This weekend fenders are off so I can raise the inner fender lip to allow full travel.
Clearance is now up to the chrome trim level, even if I removed the bump stop the spring plate will run out of travel before the tire hits.

EDIT 245/50-16s Cooper Zeon RS3-As. 27.1" essentially stock dia, in rear, just 10" section width.
MUCH cheaper than a freeway flyer transmission...

Those are relatively humongous and tall tires, and at current height I'm set for -0.5 degree camber, so any smaller tire or larger neg camber as most run should clear w/o issues.

Last edited by piledriver on Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paulpooted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting 15x7...maybe 16x8? Reply with quote

I'm running a 16x7 ET25 on my Notchback. I do think that 16x8 ET20 will be pushing it but might be possible depending on how much you are planning on lowering and what tires you run.

I did have to "roll" my front fenders to prevent some of the rubbing and still do get some rubbing in the front on hard turns.

heres some photos that kind of show where the wheels sit on my car.

Hope it helps

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: