Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake backing plate???
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tathomas7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Brake backing plate??? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it's possible to use swing axle rear brake backin plates on irs arms? If so what do you have to do? I know they're not the same just wondering if it's possible?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brake backing plate??? Reply with quote

Yes you can install the earlier swing axle backing plates on IRS rear trailing arms. Using the 1967 and earlier backing plates will require the use of the earlier narrow brake shoes. Trying to install the later wider rear brakes would cause the shoes to sit at a angle because of where the adjusters set.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake backing plate??? Reply with quote

Then you need to also use swingaxle drums, which means that a spacer is needed on the splines outboard of the drum.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tathomas7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake backing plate??? Reply with quote

Like I absolutely have to use the swing drums if I do this? Reason I ask is irs donor has rusted out backing plates and my swings are good but I already have adapters to fit the irs drums to the rims I already have. So using swing drums result in more purchases which is always the case anyway Evil or Very Mad
Tathomas7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake backing plate??? Reply with quote

Like I absolutely have to use the swing drums if I do this? Reason I ask is irs donor has rusted out backing plates and my swings are good but I already have adapters to fit the irs drums to the rims I already have. So using swing drums result in more purchases which is always the case anyway Evil or Very Mad
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake backing plate??? Reply with quote

You can use the drums you have, you just have to use the early narrow brake shoes and early wheel cylinders with the early backing plates.
It will be less braking action then with the wider later shoes that the IRS uses.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: