Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Tire Sticky FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Inharbor, I would think that the new, stiff ball joints would cause some of this. Since they are stiff they tend to get hung up and give you that wandering feeling. I'd take it on a nice long drive down bumpy dirt road to loosen it hem up a bit. That worked for me when I got my BJs installed last March. They too were stiff and made my bus wander a bit.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

vdubyah73 wrote:
Have the caster adjusted toward the upper end of the limits. More positive caster helps with high profile Motorhomes. Makes the steering want to stay centered.

Bill

Do you mean camber? Camber can be adjusted on a bus front, but caster is fixed.
speedystar77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

FWIW I just purchased Thunderer R101 RIB BW (185R-14/C) tires from Les Schwab. $120 each mounted+balanced+installed+6% sales tax out the door total. Based on one drive around town, these are a HUGE improvement over the 17 year old passenger marshmallows that came with the bus. I can't compare the ride to other properly-rated commercial tires as these are my first. Additional advantage for me living out west is the Les Schwab network and warranty.

Also had them powder coat the wheels-had to be sent out for a week and they are certainly far from perfect (see the missed grit in the crease), but for $25 each I am quite satisfied. BTW they did call to ask if it was ok to put the weights out where they are visible because that is "the best way to balance the tire". I said it was fine as it wasn't a show vehicle.

Lastly, I wish I would have been home when they brought the tires to mount
them on the bus on jack stands. The kid jacked the rear on the flimsy crossmember causing a dent. No damage to function thankfully but don't assume the tire place knows how to properly raise your bus.

Posted to keep this thread current with availability and pricing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1700 cc engine with manual transmission
32/36 DFEV Weber Progressive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: which set of tires ? Reply with quote

Goodhand77 wrote:
k guys i basically got it narrowed down to two different tires i looking at for my 72 westy

these have been chosen from the tire sticky , and other threads....
and now price and availability......
so now looking for anyone that has personally used "these" tires , otherwise I'm back to square one with an overwhelming amount of styles and opinions and I'm lost again......lol

so opinions on these two pls , I'm hoping for a "queiter and softer " ride , but meeting specs , if thats possible:)

1- Hankook RA08 185/ R14

2- Nankang Heavy Duty 185/ R14

or third choice

Continential Vanco 8 185/ R14......

please remember personal experience on actually driving on these tires

Thanks again need to buy ASAP Smile
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
It's been a great run, but yes, the RA08 is discontinued... ...As of now there is no replacement here in the U.S. , nor is Hankook interested in doing any custom runs. In some international markets (most notably Australia) they sell the essentially similar RA18, but it's not available in the U.S. as of now. (Remember, the tire must have U.S. DOT labeling molded into the sidewall; Hankook can't just take a foreign-market tire they already make and ship it here.) The situation may change in 2016, and I'll keep you all informed when I learn more, but as of now I'd say grab the RA08's while you can. Even if they do give us the RA18 in a Bus size it's pricier, so best-case is a price increase and worst-case is they decide not to import the 14" Bus sizes at all.

I ordered some RA08's from Amazon today, and then the rep from BestWheelsOnline (the retailer) called me and asked if I'd rather have a fresh set of RA18's out of Fresno, rather than him cobbling together a set of RA08's from around the country. He says the RA18's are the replacement for the RA08's.

So I did some quick homework online and decided to accept his offer.

Now, he also said they’re an identical direct replacement to the RA08, except for the “summer” tire rating. Of course, that led down another path, at which time I learned that so-called “summer” tires will be perfect for me.

But that’s not the whole story. As of now, 99% of retailers online are out of country, and the U.K. version of Hankook’s website lists the 185R14 with a load index of 100 vs. the 102 of the RA08 (1764 lbs vs. the 1874 lbs of the RA08).

But then, I found ONE single retailer in the U.S listing the RA18 as a 102 load index (1874 lbs), the same as the RA08. So it will be interesting to see the DOT rating of the tires when they arrive, and if Hankook upgraded the tire to the 102 load index for the U.S. market.

So, they SHOULD be, 8-ply (D) 102R's (1874 lbs, 106 mph)...we'll see soon.

Oh, summer vs. all season? http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a7760/know-your-tires-all-season-vs-summer-9647443/
oldhippy101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Wow, Karl please don't have a stroke because of us good folks...
Just remember as the Times have changed the Tech on tires... Besides, Who cares as long as the owner is happy...
Now Karl... I'm sure that all these fine folks here don't want you behind us on the Freeway cause we're cheap... But don't you worry yourself cause real bus owners drive the lowly highways and look at America something you can't see from YourFreeway.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

oldhippy101 wrote:
Wow, Karl please don't have a stroke because of us good folks...
Just remember as the Times have changed the Tech on tires... Besides, Who cares as long as the owner is happy...
Now Karl... I'm sure that all these fine folks here don't want you behind us on the Freeway cause we're cheap... But don't you worry yourself cause real bus owners drive the lowly highways and look at America something you can't see from YourFreeway.... Cool

Who's Karl?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I ordered some RA08's from Amazon today...

So here they are. After I ordered them, I e-mailed Hankook Corporate (U.S.) and they confirmed that the RA18's are indeed the replacement for the RA08's. For whatever reason, they've decided that a three-season (Summer) tire is more practical than an "All Season" tire, else this would essentially be an RA08 clone. For what it's worth, they do include the M+S rating on the sidewall (but it's NOT a snow tire!). And I believe they have a slightly higher speed rating than the RA08 (R vs. Q).

Interestingly, ratwell lists the RA08 as having an 11.5 mm tread depth, though I'm not sure exactly where that number came from. I measured the depth of the grooves in these RA18's and they are about 8.25 mm. Then I got to thinking about it...11.5 millimeters is DEEP!!! It would almost seem as if a tire would shift and roll on such deep treads. Oh well, whatever.

So you can see that these tires do appear to be the real deal, exceeding the specs for most Bay/Camper 14" applications. I can't wait to mount 'em and give 'em a ride, they've GOT to feel better than the hard, 23 year old passenger tires that were on my Westy when I got it (it will be a while, I still have to rebuild the engine!).

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

^^^Awesome! Please do a full write up after you have driven for some time. I haven't seen anyone using those yet, we all want to know...
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
...Please do a full write up after you have driven for some time...

Most definitely, I'm dying to drive this Bus. I think I put all of 10 miles on it since I got it, then discovered the heads are toast.

H.A.M. Blueprint Specials are due to arrive any day now, but the motor's on my garage floor, waiting for me to tear into it and discover just how toast it really is.

More on that later!
tikirobert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Finally got my tire's mounted on the rims and installed. Firestone Destination A/T 215/75r15. No rubbing at this time. (motor is not installed and no interior.)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Firestone Destination A/T 215/75r15 on BRM's Reply with quote

tikirobert wrote:
Finally got my tire's mounted on the rims and installed. Firestone Destination A/T 215/75r15. No rubbing at this time. (motor is not installed and no interior.)

Destination A/T #26512

Other Destination offerings.
http://www.firestonetire.com/tires/results?width=215&aspectRatio=750&rimSize=150

Tcash
madscientist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

How about these on my 15 in sprint stars for my 70 westy?
Sumitomo htr

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=S...mpare1=yes

99 load range?[/url]
madscientist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Sumitomo htr

99 load range?
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

madscientist wrote:
Sumitomo htr

99 load range?

Those will be fine. They are just a little shorter than the stock tires at 25.5" but should fit well. Let us know how you like them.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

madscientist wrote:
Sumitomo htr

99 load range?

Only click on Submit once. So you do not double post.
Thanks
Tcash
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Bus Depot's last 195 RA08 set came in the mail last week. I have to pickle them for the next year or so until my current 185 set wears out.

Woohoooo!
Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

^Smile
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I have to pickle them for the next year or so until my current 185 set wears out.

I'm in the same boat. I wonder what the best way to pickle them would be?
Thanks
Tcash
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The Tire Sticky Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
I have to pickle them for the next year or so until my current 185 set wears out.

I'm in the same boat. I wonder what the best way to pickle them would be?
Thanks
Tcash

Thanks to tire rack:

Before storing, use a tire brush to clean each tire with soap and water to remove brake dust, dirt and grime. If the tires are still mounted on wheels, use a wheel brush to clean the wheels with an approved cleaner as well. Dry with a towel and let any remaining moisture thoroughly evaporate.
DO NOT APPLY ANY TIRE DRESSINGS. Tire compounds are formulated to resist ozone cracking or weather checking.
Place each clean and dry tire in its own large, opaque, airtight plastic bag (such as lawn and garden bags) for storing. Avoid allowing any moisture to remain and remove as much air as practical (some drivers even use a vacuum cleaner to draw out as much as possible). Close the bag tightly and tape it shut. This places the tire in its own personal mini-atmosphere to help reduce oil evaporation.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=37
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 156, 157, 158 ... 196, 197, 198  Next
Jump to:
Page 157 of 198

Jump to: