Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks.
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks. Reply with quote

I finally tracked down my great x5 grandparents home in a small town in the Bavarian Mountian region of Germany called Kühlenfels which is next to Pottenstein and I am super excited to visit for the first time and hope someone speaks English as my German is horrible. Is anyone here on The Samba from that area?

I would like to rent a VW Golf or Rabbit in Berlin, does anyone have suggestions and or tips for renting only a VW? Do German auto rental agencies even rent the VW?

Also anyone have tips for apps for my iPhone to understand the language?

I hope this is the correct place to post this as I would also like to post some photos when I return.

Here is an image of Kühlenfels Germany. The reddish orange rooftops are beautiful.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you buy plane tickets yet? Are you definitely trying to fly to Berlin and then drive down to Bavaria?
I've travelled a lot in Germany, don't worry too much about not speaking German, tons of people speak English there, but it is always helpful to learn a handful of phrases "Speken ze Ingles?" please and danke go a long way in politeness.
It'd be easier for you to fly to Munich I think, and would save you some dough on the car rental, and yeah, I'd think any rental place will have VWs. They are the Ford of Europe. Though there are some interesting brands we never see over here that I'd be psyched to drive (Opel, Skoda, Seat, Citronen, Peugeot) that are probably common as well.

Good luck, sounds like a sweet adventure!

Oh PS- Wolfsburg...totally worth a visit! Didn't see ONE non-VW/Audi car while I was there. Seriously, not one.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, I am trying to get our friend Heiner, a native Berliner to drive down with us as it will be a great trip and if I meet my cousins with him it will also be easier than Google Translate.

My other reason for driving is because I may be leasing a Golf in September and I haven't found a VW rental here in Ny/NJ area to test out. 3 hrs will tell me if my bad back/neck can handle it. My current Honda lease is so bad I can't drive very long without excruciating pain.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Michaelhilb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's probably not too much going on in Kühlenfels. Looking at a map, it's close to Nuremberg and Bayreuth. Visit Nuremberg if you can, it's fantastic. Bayreuth too! Alps are about 200-250 mls south, so a trip to Munich and seeing the alps is also what you could do! Have fun!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow renting a VW is much more expensive than any other car. I booked a VW but not sure if that is what I'll get.

Changed the trip a little, after 5 days with my partners relatives in Belgium, we are taking the train to Frankfurt then picking up the car and heading to the small town of Pottinstein then to Kuhlensfels in hopes that my Google Translator app works or that someone speaks English. From there we are heading to toe VW museum in Wolfsburg and then dropping the car off in Berlin. The rest of the trip will be public transportation and staying with our friends.

I can only assume the auto we rent will have a USB or cigaret lighter to plug in my phone and use GPS. Am I correct? I also have the home power adapter with 2 round pins for USB to hotel outlet. I saw nothing on the car rental site regarding powering my iphone but I could just rent their gps if I have to.

I have a text translator on my iphone that I can take a photo of text which will convert to English which I'll use in the vw museum. I'll update if that works well. Looking forward to the old beetles and buses at the museum.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to check with your service provider on the iphone thing. The cigarette lighter power supplies are all 12 v, so no worries there, but you need to know whether your phone/plan will work in Europe or if there are surcharges. the last thing you want to do is come home to a thousand dollar phone bill for roaming and data charges. If it turns out that your phone/plan won't work, you will see (literally) vending machines at the airport that sell cheap phones to use while you are there. Check some travel blogs/websites for info on that, I have never used one. I went to school for a while in the Netherlands and have been back to Europe several times after that and have always travelled via train and bus. Europe is one of those places where you can actually do that! It is very clean and comfortable compared to what you might think of here in the US (bus and rail travel that is).

The home power adaptor you have...a little note on that. It has the two pins, to fit into a european plug, but does it have the step adaptor. In the USA, our wall outlets are flush with the wal. In Europe, the wall outlets are sunk into the wall, so you may have a power adaptor that looks like it would plug into the wall flush l;ike ours do, but you actually need a little adaptor so that the pins reach all the way into the sunken hole. I got caught on that my first time out there and had to spend some time looking for an adaptor out there (hard to find because who needs one, right?).

http://i.stack.imgur.com/d5cum.jpg

The Museum is great, you are going to love it. Buy some "Do Not Stroke" stickers for your VW's window while you are there, they are cheap (like 50 cents) and come in German and English. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so prepare to scout out lunch/dinner elsewhere! Wolfsburg is defintely an industrial town, and you will see nothing but VWs there...and some AUdi's. Make a game of trying to spot anything else!

My only other recommendation for you is to go to Cologne (Koln). It has the biggest, most majestic Gothic Church you will ever see, and it's right outside the train station. You have to walk 2-3 city blocks away to fit it in your camera, no joke. Amazing city. If you don't make it there, no sweat, save it for next time. Sounds like you are going to have a blast! And again, everyone there speaks English for the most part, you are gonna be fine.[/img]

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tips I love industrial. I understand all I need to do is buy a data card at the airport for my iphone. Since I'm flying into Brussels can I get it there or do I get it in the us for Europe?

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
you need to check with your service provider on the iphone thing. The cigarette lighter power supplies are all 12 v, so no worries there, but you need to know whether your phone/plan will work in Europe or if there are surcharges. the last thing you want to do is come home to a thousand dollar phone bill for roaming and data charges. If it turns out that your phone/plan won't work, you will see (literally) vending machines at the airport that sell cheap phones to use while you are there. Check some travel blogs/websites for info on that, I have never used one. I went to school for a while in the Netherlands and have been back to Europe several times after that and have always travelled via train and bus. Europe is one of those places where you can actually do that! It is very clean and comfortable compared to what you might think of here in the US (bus and rail travel that is).

The home power adaptor you have...a little note on that. It has the two pins, to fit into a european plug, but does it have the step adaptor. In the USA, our wall outlets are flush with the wal. In Europe, the wall outlets are sunk into the wall, so you may have a power adaptor that looks like it would plug into the wall flush l;ike ours do, but you actually need a little adaptor so that the pins reach all the way into the sunken hole. I got caught on that my first time out there and had to spend some time looking for an adaptor out there (hard to find because who needs one, right?).

http://i.stack.imgur.com/d5cum.jpg

The Museum is great, you are going to love it. Buy some "Do Not Stroke" stickers for your VW's window while you are there, they are cheap (like 50 cents) and come in German and English. It is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so prepare to scout out lunch/dinner elsewhere! Wolfsburg is defintely an industrial town, and you will see nothing but VWs there...and some AUdi's. Make a game of trying to spot anything else!

My only other recommendation for you is to go to Cologne (Koln). It has the biggest, most majestic Gothic Church you will ever see, and it's right outside the train station. You have to walk 2-3 city blocks away to fit it in your camera, no joke. Amazing city. If you don't make it there, no sweat, save it for next time. Sounds like you are going to have a blast! And again, everyone there speaks English for the most part, you are gonna be fine.[/img]

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been back i about 4 years now, which is forever in terms of phones/technology. Maybe someone in your family or your partner's friends will be able to tell you about the availability out there? Those might be the kinds of things in those vending machines now. Pretty sure the dollar and the Euro are real close to each other now (When I went last the euro was about $1.50), thanks Greece! However maybe it is cheaper to buy here? More research needed....

Have fun!

asiab3 wrote:

alanandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when are you planing to visit Kühlenfels? It is just 40km away from my home. I live in Eckersdorf near Bayreuth!
Greets Alex
74 baywindow bus
70 dormobile camper

Make a visit to my blog - AIRCOOLED-LIFE.BLOGSPOT.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanandi, Alex I'm so sorry I didn't get to read your messages as it was rush rush to Belgium, Germany and then back to the States to start school with only days to prepare for classes. I have lots of photos to post when I figure how to because we can only post VW pictures on thesamba photo area therefore give me a little time plus very busy with school right now.

I wish I got to see you Alex but happy to report that I found both sides of my German family (my dad who passed in 2008). After a night in the Bauernschmitt hotel in Pottenstein which I highly recommend for both bed and amazing breakfast of all you can eat fresh baked (more like breakfast, lunch and dinner spread) see image and link below as we headed to find my family on both of my dear father’s mother and father's side.

After Pottenstein off to Kühlenfels meeting my cousins for the very first time, then to Büchenbach to find my grandfathers family which we could not. But while there I borrowed a phonebook, yes paper style and found my cousin in Creußen, he is an auto interior designer for BMW and now an additional contract with Tesla. I have been so lucky to sit and break bread with both of my dear fathers family and forever grateful to share the experience with my partner and all my friends and family.

BTW Smart Phone’s are virtually useless in the Black Forest for translation or research so glad there were family who could speak English and that we ordered a rental car with GPS which worked perfectly.

Enjoy these I will post my photos soon:

http://landgasthof-bauernschmitt.com/

Bauernschmitt hotel and website we stayed at in Pottenstein, Germany

http://www.barepockets.com/2014/01/15/pottenstein-spirit-german-fairytales/

beautiful Pottenstein, Germany via barepockets.com

http://www.deutscher-heilstollenverband.de/36-0-Pottenstein---Fraenkische-Schweiz.html

Local info on Pottenstein, Germany

Church where my grandmother’s family went to mass Kühlenfels, Germany

Büchenbach, Germany where my grandfathers family were born and raised

Creußen, Germany where my cousins live
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
alanandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks. Reply with quote

Hi,
nice to read that you had a good time here. Pottenstein is very beautyful.
Funny that you were in Creußen. It´s just 1km from Creußen to my Garage where i store my cars Smile
But now i´m moving them to Thurnau.
If you visit again - let me know - would be great to meet Smile
74 baywindow bus
70 dormobile camper

Make a visit to my blog - AIRCOOLED-LIFE.BLOGSPOT.COM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks. Reply with quote

Alex you are near my Grunthaner family so cool. I will be back especially now that I have connected with my family and have friends in Berlin to play with. I will definitely visit with you have some Bavarian beer and share VW stories. The only disappointment I have from my trip is running out of time to visit the Wolfsburg Museum. Although oddly on my flight back to the states I sat next to a German woman who lives near me in New Jersey and is a lawyer for VW and she is from Wolfsburg, had a great VW chat and I look forward to seeing her dads early Beetle in the museum. I'm sure with the VW diesel troubles she will be busy.

I found it very interesting that there are not a lot of early buses around the country as per what my cousin mentioned. Seems like most were exported.

alanandi wrote:
Hi,
Funny that you were in Creußen. It´s just 1km from Creußen to my Garage where i store my cars Smile

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks. Reply with quote

By the way I love this photo on your blogspot.
Even though it is sad it has beauty.

alanandi wrote:
Hi,

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
PowLo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks. Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
By the way I love this photo on your blogspot.
Even though it is sad it has beauty.

This si stunning ! Did you see if someone is living in it?
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks. Reply with quote

Maybe at some point then abandoned. But surly a great image frame worthy. I really enjoyed Bavaria and our VW hobby is central to all of the region. Looking forward to another trip in another year.
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bavarian Mountain trip to find my family in 2 weeks. Reply with quote

Me in Berlin in love with this truck.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: