Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Found a few small rust spots that turned into holes on my muffler..Could this cause a carb pop?

With the engine at operating temp take an old rag and hold tightly over the exhaust pipe end. Does the engine continue to run or die/nearly die?

Do you have a working thermostat?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

Installed a new Bus Depot canvas this weekend! Love it!
On a side note, I drained my oil and had TONS of fuel in it..Any suggestions? Dual 40 IDF Carb, 2.0L Engine

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Installed a new Bus Depot canvas this weekend! Love it!
On a side note, I drained my oil and had TONS of fuel in it..Any suggestions? Dual 40 IDF Carb, 2.0L Engine

Do NOT drive it until you get that fuel issue sorted out.

Are you still running the mechanical fuel pump or electric?

If electric you'll need to be absolutely certain the fuel pressure is no more than 3.5lbs

If mechanical it's possible the pump diaphragm has ruptured and is leaking into the case. Slim given the fuel pump has a drain tube to prevent this. But not entirely impossible if it's plugged.

Pump looks like...

71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

Electrical pump
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

Stuck float on one of my carbs maybe?
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

The spring loaded ball on my carbs float needle was stuck .This would cause fuel to get into my oil right?
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
The spring loaded ball on my carbs float needle was stuck .This would cause fuel to get into my oil right?

Yes...but so can excess fuel pressure. Be absolutely certain you have no more than 3.5lbs of fuel pressure.

The floats need to be 10-11.5mm at height while the ball is NOT depressed (gasket in place).
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
74superTN wrote:

Yes...but so can excess fuel pressure. Be absolutely certain you have no more than 3.5lbs of fuel pressure.

The floats need to be 10-11.5mm at height while the ball is NOT depressed (gasket in place).

Ok will do. I'm also getting fuel out of my exhaust after sitting for a day. Definitely fuel.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

How long does a ring replacement game? Could I replace my piston rings in a day and have anything back together?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
How long does a ring replacement game? Could I replace my piston rings in a day and have anything back together?

VW Type 2 / Bus Crash Estimate Guide

Last edited by Tcash on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

Link didn't work tcash
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

You really don't want to do that. This is really a nice engine, it just needs some love. If it were me, I would send a PM off to "Amskeptic" and have him help me the hard stuff.

You want to take some time to carefully split this case and replace the rings (if needed) and inspect the main bearings and anthingg that shows wear. I would inspect and then likely send the heads off to have Len Hoffman do a valve job if needed. Put it all back together and drive it for another 100K miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
Link didn't work tcash

Fixed
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

UPDATE
I'm still getting fuel out of my exhaust after sitting for 24 hours. I put my key in the ignition and gave the fuel pump power. While this was happening, I looked inside both carbs and saw that i had fuel leaking out the back barrels on each carb. Would this be caused by a stuck float?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

74superTN wrote:
UPDATE
I'm still getting fuel out of my exhaust after sitting for 24 hours. I put my key in the ignition and gave the fuel pump power. While this was happening, I looked inside both carbs and saw that i had fuel leaking out the back barrels on each carb. Would this be caused by a stuck float?

Tcash wrote:
Hi

Carburetor needle and seat cleaning

As suggested if your oil smells like gas, change your oil.
Start it up and pinch the fuel hose that goes to the carb. When it starts to falter release the fuel pressure.
This most times will wash any debris off the float needle and seat.

Good Luck
Tcash

udidwht wrote:
If electric you'll need to be absolutely certain the fuel pressure is no more than 3.5lbs
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

Update 4/14/2016

Purchased a Carter 3.5 psi fuel pump and got rid of my Mr. Gasket fuel pump and regulator. Cleaned my carbs again and rechecked my float bowl measurements. Bought a Snail gage for my carbs and made sure they were synced up. Seems to be running much better.

On another note, purchased Bus Depots cv boots. Replaced all 4 and I must say that they seem to be a great quality boot. Very thick and strong.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

Are you still getting fuel in your oil?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Are you still getting fuel in your oil?

As far as I can tell, no. I check my oil level every day, no matter if it hasn't been driven in a few.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

So since my last post, I've done quite a few things in the bus..Been camping a few times and even entered the bus in The European Experience, which was a big show they had here in Savannah.

74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bought a 77 Westy from my in laws... random updates Reply with quote

Update:
Installed a new Needle valve in both floats and now i'm not getting fuel in my exhaust over night! So no more fuel in the oil and no more fuel in the exhaust! One of the spring loaded balls was stuck and wouldn't spring anymore so I just went ahead and replace both.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: