Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick engine noise question *edit* ADDED VIDEO
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Quick engine noise question *edit* ADDED VIDEO Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I have a few very simple questions, and a video to diagnose a noise.

My his was out of commission a few days ago, I traced my ignition issue back to a fried electric ignition. Engine took kindly to a tune up, points, new distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires.. The whole 9.

Got a quick question about engine noises I have tho.

1) I have a tap-tap-tap from my valves, they're at six thou. I was told to put them at four thou. Is it better to set them at two thou when the engine is hot?

2) I lightly greased my shaft before putting it in... The points, I mean........
Still getting a whistle from the distributor tho, so I lived it up heavier. Still whistling. I'm using bearing grease. Should I use something else?

3) I've got a vibration when pressing the pedal slightly that goes away with higher RPMs. Ideas?

4) check out the video... Ive gotten this whistle every now and then and now its pretty loud. I can even hear it while I'm driving.

Link

Last edited by AAVeeDub on Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

if they are stock solid lifter valves with stock pushrods, .006". If you go less they may be quieter however the time the valve will sit on the seat will be less so the exhaust valves will run hotter which is not a good thing.

You can do a cylinder balance test at idle to see if the RPM drop is similar. That will tell you if all 4 cylinders are firing evenly at idle. You may have a little vacuum leak somewhere.

You put a very thin coating of distributor grease on the lobes. If they are rusty then you need to clean them with some 2000 grit wet and dry, then wipe them down good with a clean oily rag to get any grit off, then use the distributor grease on them. Also, you can put a tiny dab of it on the carbon brush in the center of the cap. Maybe it is chirping.
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

Ok so leave them at six thou?

What do you mean the carbon brush? Are you saying the little points on the top of the distributor?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

AAVeeDub wrote:
Ok so leave them at six thou?

What do you mean the carbon brush? Are you saying the little points on the top of the distributor?

inside the distributor cap there is a small piece of carbon that is usually spring loaded. It touches the rotor. Sometimes it squeaks. Do not use regular grease on it or the lobes. Use distributor lobe grease.

There is also a wick in the center of the shaft under the rotor. It is supposed to get a few drops of oil each time you service the distributor. If you have not done this put 7 to 10 drops of clean engine oil on it.
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

Ok I'll go see if I can find dist. Lobe grease at the closest part store.

Thanks a lot!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

If your valves stems are worn concave you can no longer set you valves accurately using a feeler gauge. If you set them at .006" they may actually be at .010 or even .014". If your stems are concave you either need to take a Dremel and flatten them back out or add lash caps. With a Dremel of course you have to protect everything for the grindings and make sure everything is 100% clean when you are done. You can also swap over to using swivel foot adjusters.

Another way is to set your valves by turning the adjusters in until there is no lash and then turning the adjusters back out ~1/7 of a full turn or ~54°. No way to check the lash once the nut is tightened down though so errors can creep in.
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

@wildthings, so funny I just read your post on valve adjustments 30 seconds ago.

Fixed the vibration with my carb linkage. One was going before the other. Whoops.

Will make a 360 degree template today and adjust that way. I can make it work.

Was getting an extra whoop whoop with. Tight alt. Belt. Loosened it to ~15mm slack. Mmmmmm ☺️

I love productive days. 🤓
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

AAVeeDub wrote:
@wildthings, so funny I just read your post on valve adjustments 30 seconds ago.

Fixed the vibration with my carb linkage. One was going before the other. Whoops.

Was getting an extra whoop whoop with. Tight alt. Belt. Loosened it to ~15mm slack. Mmmmmm ☺️

Just hope I have my math correct. Wink My numbers assume you have 10x1mm adjusters.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

AAVeeDub wrote:

if you have dual carbs you need to sync them at idle then 1500 RPM then say 2500 RPM. It should be done using a tool that reads airflow thru the carb and not by ear.
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

Speaking of carbs, I've got a whistle from the base of one. I replaced the throttle shaft seal on the them this weekend and when putting them on I realized they rocked back and forth before tightening. Would it be safe to assume my manifold is warped? Is this common on ICTs? I checked with a straight edge to see if the carbs were warped and they weren't... Thoughts?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

...turning the adjusters back out ~1/7 of a full turn or ~54°...

Just hope I have my math correct. Wink My numbers assume you have 10x1mm adjusters.

I got 54° too. A Grapes of Wrath valve-adjustment technique for me when exploring a neglected Volkswagen has always been 1/6th of a turn, or 60* from zero. Use a valve adjuster jam nut to measure 1/6th of a turn, because each "point" on the nut = 60* of the circumference. Then as SOON as I get my feeler gauges, we do a proper .006" adjustment. Twisted Evil

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

...turning the adjusters back out ~1/7 of a full turn or ~54°...

I got 54° too. A Grapes of Wrath valve-adjustment technique for me when exploring a neglected Volkswagen has always been 1/6th of a turn, or 60* from zero. Use a valve adjuster jam nut to measure 1/6th of a turn, because each "point" on the nut = 60* of the circumference. Then as SOON as I get my feeler gauges, we do a proper .006" adjustment. Twisted Evil

Robbie

I have used that method as well it will theoretically give you a lash of just under .007" so is close enough and way better than what you might be getting when combining a feeler gauge with a badly concave valve stem end.
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question *edit* ADDED VIDEO Reply with quote

Bump for video thoughts
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question *edit* ADDED VIDEO Reply with quote

Kinda hard to hear anything over the noisy (leaky?) exhaust and a very short video. If there is a leaky base, a new gasket would probably fix it. Might be able to sand the base of the manifold smoother. Spray some carb cleaner around the joints and see if the idle changes. Might just be me, but idle seems a bit high and carbs not synced well enough. Should be a pretty smooth roll from idle to main jets.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question *edit* ADDED VIDEO Reply with quote

AAVeeDub wrote:

1) I have a tap-tap-tap from my valves, they're at six thou. I was told to put them at four thou. Is it better to set them at two thou when the engine is hot?
Six is the spec. Make sure the adjuster tips are not worn out.

2) I lightly greased my shaft before putting it in... The points, I mean........
Still getting a whistle from the distributor tho, so I lived it up heavier. Still whistling. I'm using bearing grease. Should I use something else?
If it is whistling, the distributor shaft bushings are probably shot. You can try dropping some 3-in-1 down the top through the points plate.
Lubing the dist.

3) I've got a vibration when pressing the pedal slightly that goes away with higher RPMs. Ideas?
As suggested sync the carbs.
AAVeeDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question *edit* ADDED VIDEO Reply with quote

That's how my engine has always sounded, I didnt realize it was an exhaust leak, its just always been that way. Even after Dan and Competition engineering rebuilt my motor, it's always sounded that way.
davada56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick engine noise question *edit* ADDED VIDEO Reply with quote

How did you synchronize your carbs? I'd look into that also I have a 2084cc and I run my valve lash at 0 lash as long as I can rotate the push rods there good but you must have chrome molly push rods to do that O lash and only in a broken in engine with at least 7k miles on it. Still check the valve lash as usual if concerned set it at .002 lash
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: