Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tim Hesse's Beryl Green Notch and quick intro to me
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hechtrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Tim Hesse's Beryl Green Notch and quick intro to me Reply with quote

Oi Tudo Bem (Hi)

My first post! Love the site! Very helpful so far. So, here's me...my first car was a 72 Bug bought for $500 and pan-on restored by my dad right before I got home from 2 years in Brazil as a missionary. Brasil, terra do fusca (land of the bug). I loved my yellow bug, but after a year of driving it, I sold it to get married. It was a good choice. I was going to college in Utah at the time, money was hard to come by. Well, then I got side tracked by the import thing, and bought a 95 Honda Civic. I've had that for 3.5 years now. Its been a rock solid car and I put about $1500 into it, mostly handling/cornering stuff, wheels/tires. Anyway...I'll get to the point.

I checked out the Hot VW's mag that has Tim Hesse's Notchback. Whoa!! That is one of my top 5 favorite cars of all time. It reminds me of a killer Nova or Falcon hot rod. Tim's car has made me, yes, made me want a Notch.

One question about Tim's Notch is anyone know or guess what size tires those are? Maybe 215/55/15? They look wide man!

Second question is where can I find info on Type3's, such as Curb Weight from the factory, wheelbase, width, front/rear track? Can't seem to find it searching around the net and here. Thanks.

Hoping my bro will come through and purchase my Civic for his commuter car and then I'll use that to buy my VW. I miss my bug's smell! Smile
Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tim Hesse's Beryl Green Notch and quick intro to me Reply with quote

hechtrod wrote:
Second question is where can I find info on Type3's, such as Curb Weight from the factory, wheelbase, width, front/rear track? Can't seem to find it searching around the net and here. Thanks.

try the FAQ and Buyer's Guide at the top? Plus check the archives/technical section here at the Samba....

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hechtrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did check out the Type 3 FAQ and Buyers Guide and nothing like physical dimensions or curb weight. Trying to compare against the Beetle and Ghia for reference.

I'll keep looking I guess.

Anyone know more about Tim Hesse's Notch, those rear meats?

Chris
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hechtrod wrote:
Yeah, I did check out the Type 3 FAQ and Buyers Guide and nothing like physical dimensions or curb weight. Trying to compare against the Beetle and Ghia for reference.

I'll keep looking I guess.

Anyone know more about Tim Hesse's Notch, those rear meats?

Chris

I just posted the dimensions on my web site.
http://classicvw.org/gallery/partsbook/dimensions?full=1
Not a real good scan, but you can read it.
About any of the manuals has that info. I guess you don't have one yet.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Tim Hesse's Beryl Green Notch and quick intro to me Reply with quote

hechtrod wrote:
my first car was a 72 Bug bought for $500 and pan-on restored by my dad right before I got home from 2 years in Brazil as a missionary.

I sold my 1st Notchback (a 1963) to be able to go on a mission.

hechtrod wrote:
I loved my yellow bug, but after a year of driving it, I sold it to get married. It was a good choice.

You say that now, but who knows, soon you may be trying to trade her for another bug. Very Happy They cost less, are less tempermental and get better looking with age (hope my wife doesn't read this post)

hechtrod wrote:
I was going to college in Utah at the time

Sorry to hear that. Hope you've recovered

hechtrod wrote:
Well, then I got side tracked by the import thing, and bought a 95 Honda Civic.

In Utah, and a ricer. Boy, two strikes against you. Laughing

hechtrod wrote:
I checked out the Hot VW's mag that has Tim Hesse's Notchback. Whoa!! That is one of my top 5 favorite cars of all time. It reminds me of a killer Nova or Falcon hot rod. Tim's car has made me, yes, made me want a Notch.

Better that then another Honda.

hechtrod wrote:
Where can I find info on Type3's, such as Curb Weight from the factory, wheelbase, width, front/rear track?

"Ask and ye shall receive" I've scanned 11 pages of "technical data" for the Type 3. If it's not here, you probably don't need it. Check it out at http://neil.us/type3/technical/

hechtrod wrote:
Hoping my bro will come through and purchase my Civic for his commuter car and then I'll use that to buy my VW.

There is hope for you after all.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hechtrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tech pages. Very helpful. So, that answers those questions.

Anybody know what size tires those might be on the Tim Hesse Notchback. There are a few pics of it in the gallery.

Anyone? I love the look of the "big meats" in the rear and the "skinnies" up front.
Thanks
Chris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: