Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

Greetings,

Split-window bus Samba Member here; visiting your fine forum.

Wife and I chanced upon something that seemed like it could be a good deal on a Convertible 1970 Ghia, and I went to take a look at it today.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm here mainly to get comments and thoughts from the experts (that's you!), and/or humorous (but not mean-spirited) comments about what you think this Ghia is really worth. ...or as a major project, what costs you imagine associated with it?

Some facts:
    Not the original color (had been blue; yellow paint job covered only the visible).
    Engine (1600 Dual-port, I believe) currently not working (least of this Ghia's trouble).
    Likely hasn't been driven/working for at least 5 years.
    Has a "salvage" registration, supposedly because the current owner would have had to pay nine-year's back registration after he got it from previous owners, but instead managed to get a junk yard friend to help give it a salvage title instead (yep; that's the story).
    Supposedly has never been in an accident. Lack of crinkled metal seems to support this. The nose does look good overall.
    Someone took the original horn out and placed a two-tone air horn in (leaving the front boot kind of "open"). Not a big problem; just an example of wonkiness.
    Bondo? You betcha! Look at those rockers. How extensive? Can't tell.
    Current owner has never had the top together/functioning, though they did buy the fabric to fix it years ago. Supposedly has window to go with the top.
    Floor pans? Bad pencil-sized holes through on the passenger-side floor. Could likely get a few fingers up into the cracks and pull a chunk to two off, or at least bend what is still there.
    Transmission supposedly rebuilt within the last 10+ years.
    Owner has a new carpet kit (again; LEAST of this Ghia's problems!).
    The Headlight buckets (from behind) look ok.
    Didn't take the beauty rings off the headlights, but that part appears OK, but naturally could be plenty of bondo too... It seems that the front was actually one of the best parts, I would say.
    I believe an extra piece of metal was placed down in the battery area (perhaps when it was painted yellow)?
    Naturally the interior is falling apart from weather and exposure. It's been under a tarp (outside) for several years.
    Doubt the emergency brake cables are working, that's mechanical, an example of something I can fix myself...

Yes, I get that if I want a major project car, and had time, and money and know-how this one could shine again. However, I am/was hoping to find a Ghia (perferably a convertable) at a reasonable price that I could get back onto the road fairly quickly and that my wife could enjoy. I kind of doubt that is that car... or? Your thoughts?

I'm not a novice to air-cooled VWs, I AM a novice to Ghias, and I have been cramming, reading up in the forums, before I went to look at this one. I understand the common and basic inherent challenges of Ghias.

I have a great many additional photos (many of the typical problem areas), but these below are an overview.

So; my questions ~

Regardless of what I know to be the asking price for this SALVAGE-registered Ghia, what do YOU think of it?
What kind of price-tag do you see to get it road-worthy and looking OK (road safe, top together again, but not necessarily pretty to look at)?
I am NOT a person who'll being doing a pan-off restoration (and no money to pay someone to do it; I'm still working on my '67 Westfalia), and I have NO welding skills (just some engine and general maintenance skills, not too much else).

...and I guess a last question is that if you met someone that had this Ghia, how much would you offer for it, knowing what you do know of it? I don't mean what you want to pay, I mean what do you consider fair?
We were hoping to get something that we could end up driving, not "profit" off of, and we understand that a salvage registration makes it never able to live up to a full "value".
Is it worth fixing to DRIVE, and you estimate(s) of how much to get it to that point?

My dream had been that I pay the asking price and that after perhaps another 3 or 4 thousand it'd be safely enjoyed often on the road, but after seeing it, that feels much more like fantasy.

Friendly thoughts and comments and hilarity appreciated. I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motorhead364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

As I have learned with these cars, you can get a motor running fix the wiring and drive the snot out of one. (No person experience yet but lots of reading and looking). As I assemble my car I see how easy and simple these things are. The top will be expensive but it looks to all be there so that helps in the $$ dept. rockers look rough. They are pretty important on verts I hear. Just a quick scan of the pics. $1500-2000 as is. If you think it could be made to run. $2500 tops.

Verts are more rare but it's a later car. Could be a fun driver to tinker with. Chrome looks usable and bumpers are there. That's good.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

She is pretty rough. The rockers are a worry. Until you tear into them you do not know just how bad. Some the stiffeners in the vert frame are in the rockers. Generally speaking if the rockers and stiffeners are rusted you are really looking at pan off welding repairs...may as well do the pans since they are rusted too. The top needs sandblasting paint then reassemble, pricey. Mechanicals are usually the most inexpensive parts so you still need to go thru the brakes and drivetrain. Missing tin on the engine, what else will it need? I dont think its a car where you buy it, put $2500 into it and you have a driver. From my seat it looks like it needs, hmm...everything. This thing can definitely be sorted and brought back to life, it wont happen quick or inexpensively. Try to score that GT exhaust Very Happy Wink
Grab a chunk of your favorite cheese, a beer and search for a better candidate. Dada!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

I've just completed the restoration of a '68 Ghia coupé that started off in way better condition that the one you have there, and the cost exceeded $30k easily, not counting the motor, suspension and brakes.

Walk away.
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

My dream had been that I pay the asking price and that after perhaps another 3 or 4 thousand it'd be safely enjoyed often on the road, but after seeing it, that feels much more like fantasy.

Definitely a fantasy- just price up some ghia parts - rubbers + interior + sills + vert top + engine will easily blow that budget ... if you have no welding skills just that alone will probably be that much! The sills are a structural component of the car and this one looks nasty.

My advice - look at more ghias, pay more and buy a better start point.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

Thanks EVERYONE for the level-headed expert advice:

motorhead364 wrote:
As I have learned with these cars, you can get a motor running fix the wiring and drive the snot out of one....

Used to be so much easier; the $300 1967 Bug I bought (in 1990) for its engine, but that mostly drove fine...
...the 1971 Automatic Fastback I got for $500 (also around 1990) that I gifted to my friend who needed that engine (he had a family, and an automatic Squareback)...

c21darrel wrote:
She is pretty rough. ... I don't think its a car where you buy it, put $2500 into it and you have a driver...

...Grab a chunk of your favorite cheese, a beer and search for a better candidate. Dada!

Done and done. Beer and cheese on hand.

kiwighia68 wrote:
...and the cost exceeded $30k easily, not counting the motor, suspension and brakes.

Walk away.

Although not up to $30K with my Westfalia, yet, I do know of what you speak... (the whole story: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=535524)

Karly wrote:
Definitely a fantasy- ...

My advice - look at more ghias, pay more and buy a better start point.

Yeah, it was a "two birds with one stone" (Ghia & Convertible) type of fantasy, but if I can get my wife to like the idea of a Coup, I think we can start at a much better spot.

Thanks everyone. Solid advice.
This one; we'll let this one go (and someone with insane amounts of repair money can buy it).

Feel free to keep up the conversation/thread if also helpful to others, but I think we've made up our minds.

But wait! Did I neglect to mention the free (hopefully dormant) yellow-jacket nests in various parts of the car?!?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

It's better than the one I started with.

I have spent endless hours fixing mine, though not near as much money as some.

Unless you have all the tools and skills, buy something done.
WooleyNelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

you are gonna have that 3 to 4 K you want use on it wrapped up in a new top unless you do it yourself.

I love verts (have one) but that one is just as rough as mine, maybe rougher, and I figure 12 to 20k to get mine presentable.

Hope I didn't burst your bubble! Smile
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

If you're looking for a decent Ghia convertible at a reasonable price, get hold of this guy. His name is Steve, and his Samba screen name is saveallghias. He's not far from you...just down in Los Gatos (near San Jose), and he usually has at least a couple for sale at any one time. If he doesn't happen to have exactly what you're looking for, he can probably find it for you.

You wouldn't even come close to bringing that yellow 'vert up to the condition of this '64 for the money he's asking.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1833541
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
You wouldn't even come close to bringing that yellow 'vert up to the condition of this '64 for the money he's asking.

Totally agree. Run away from that yellow one. Buy the red one instead.

Nicholas
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:
rcooled wrote:

Totally agree. Run away from that yellow one. Buy the red one instead.

Nicholas

Yep buy a good one now...I don't think they will ever be cheaper than they are now...they were, but prices heading northward. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

That red vert looks like a pretty nice car. If I were the seller the last thing I would advertise (props to him for disclosing) is the GEX motor.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: New question(s), buying a Ghia. Reply with quote

Again, great advice from everyone.

The basic take-away advice for us, not wanting to do a major project car, seems to be: Find as "complete" and working of a Ghia that for you is both appealing and within a price range you can afford, and go from there. The prices are only going to climb over time. 

With this in mind, we've been looking.
Plus, my wife also feels she'd enjoy a coup as long as she likes it/it appeals to her.
This three-day weekend we are driving a great distance to look at, and possibly buy, a 1971 coup.
It is registered, drivable, and has recently had a great many (albeit not too expensive) things done for/to it: had been lowered but is now at stock height, new tires, battery, clutch/plate, rubber all around.

It is "painted recently" (seems to be a correct VW color for the year), so of course it looks good in the photos. Has bumpers, and until we see it in person, may or may not have not noticeable rust in problem areas, remains to be seen..
It has a non-stock fast engine, a dual-carb 1903 cc.

Concerns/Questions:

If a Ghia has been painted "recently", besides bringing a magnetic paint-depth stick (to look for evidence of bondo and filler), how can I tell if the rockers are any good?
A concerning detail is that there's "no heater", the man who currently has this car, who bought it from someone and has done the recent fix-up work (and does a lot with Ghias, but also assuredly hopes to make some profit), says that it doesn't have heater boxes ("J-tubes" I assume).
Do you suppose that is due to having the 1903cc engine, or is it more of a tell-tale sign that the rockers are/were shot and thus no chance for the heater to work?
So again; beyond my magnet, and visual inspection, how can I evaluate the rockers if the paint is new enough not to be bubbling?

For what we've seen (so far only by pictures), we're willing to buy at the price asked, but I also told my wife that even if it is drivable now, if the rockers are shot, then (when that becomes evident down the road) we have to re-evaluate. Can she can get a good, let's say five years before it becomes a money-pit project car if she wants to keep it going?

Reading the forum, it seems that ALL Ghias do, or will, have rocker problems, so what's the magic $ to usability ratio if you hope to DRIVE the car instead of restore it?

I realize a lot of this rambling and musing is hypothetical and determinant upon individuals.

One last question before we take a look at this Ghia this weekend. The current owner/fixit guy said there there is a "soft spot" under and slightly behind the passenger's seat (ie rust, pan problems, I should think, will have to see)... my question is whether floor problems are "pan off" repairs, or can a good shop cut that out and replace it if the rest of the pan is in decent shape? If yes, what kind of insane dollar amount would that kind of repair be (in a shop)?

Thanks for letting me go on and on... nervous and excited to go look at this '71, but need/want to stay grounded and realistic, as it is a chunk of change that we shouldn't really, really spend, but we do love air-cooled.

Last edited by DadaCheese on Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

Quote:
If a Ghia has been painted "recently", besides bringing a magnetic paint-depth stick (to look for evidence of bondo and filler), how can I tell if the rockers are any good?
A concerning detail is that there's "no heater", the man who currently has this car, who bought it from someone and has done the recent fix-up work (and does a lot with Ghias, but also assuredly hopes to make some profit), says that it doesn't have heater boxes ("J-tubes" I assume).
Do you suppose that is due to having the 1903cc engine, or is it more of a tell-tale sign that the rockers are/were shot and thus no chance for the heater to work?
So again; beyond my magnet, and visual inspection, how can I evaluate the rockers if the paint is new enough not to be bubbling?

Rockers, look in a few places, under the rockers along where bolts go into pan, in front... behind front tire, if the seller will allow...remove the back under qtr window cover piece. Look down inside and you get a good idea of condition. Look at this area too...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1463041.jpg
J-tubes is most likely because motor size. Be sure to drive it. Motor size alone doesnt tell everything. Find out whats inside and that it was put together correct...cam/carburation/heads... A 1903 w/ big cam and stock carb isnt a good combo. If valves are not too large you can use stock heater boxes. If they are larger than 35/40 you can use aftermarket heater boxes made for big valves.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Rockers, look in a few places, under the rockers along where bolts go into pan, in front... behind front tire, if the seller will allow...remove the back under qtr window cover piece. Look down inside and you get a good idea of condition. Look at this area too...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1463041.jpg

Thanks c21darrel; this is just the kind of specific tip that I was hoping for.

c21darrel wrote:
J-tubes is most likely because motor size. Be sure to drive it. Motor size alone doesn't tell everything. Find out whats inside and that it was put together correct...cam/carburetion/heads... A 1903 w/ big cam and stock carb isn't a good combo. If valves are not too large you can use stock heater boxes. If they are larger than 35/40 you can use aftermarket heater boxes made for big valves.

Also good to know... I had a typo (I said "Dual Port" instead of "Dual Carbs") in my last message that I have edited... Here's the seller's picture (below) of the engine.
For me dual carbs are something I'll have to learn. I've basically only dealt with stock single-port 1600 carburetors for 20+ years.

Also, still curious to know if part of the pan has rust problems, but the rest of the Ghia's (what term is best here?) chassis seems to be solid, then can it be addressed pan-on by a knowledgeable Ghia restore shop?
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

Its dual port AND dual carb. Smile
Kadron motor, single throat dual carbs.
For heat on that you would need a shroud with outlets too.

Quote:
Also, still curious to know if part of the pan has rust problems, but the rest of the Ghia's (what term is best here?) chassis seems to be solid, then can it be addressed pan-on by a knowledgeable Ghia restore shop?

IT can be done, its one of those 6 of this , half dozen of that. Its more work to do it pan on, the other way its more work to remove the body...
Check on J1 attempt...good example... of KOOL KARMANNS
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598829&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4968503
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

Have you looked at The Buyer's Guide Sticky?

That car has lots of issues but you know what you are starting with.

I am on my third Ghia vert in the last 11 years. I have found it difficult to find good solid cars. The cars I have had have required me to fix crappy work done by a PO. I have looked at cars that were not cheap and have seen plenty of problems with those as well.

A few years ago I decided to look at a project that was in similar condition to your car but was complete. I now have a very nice driver that I know is a good car.

You will have to spend money to get to that point but if you look around and are also willing to learn you can get the car done at a reasonable price. I would say at this point I am at break even with what I spent and what the car would sell for.

In addition you will learn a lot and have fun.

Another tip for determining the condition of heater channels. Pull the heater vents and look inside with a light and a mirror on an articulated arm.

Good Luck!
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
...how can I tell if the rockers are any good?

One preliminary visual check for sound rockers is to look for the two vertical seams just below the doors. One is near the front edge of the door, and the other is near the rear edge. If you don't see these seams on each side of the car, they've been covered over with bondo in a quick & dirty effort to hide rust.
Also look to see that the torsion bar covers haven't also been covered over...another sign of a poorly-done 'repair'. The rear-most rocker seam and the torsion bar cover can be seen in this pic from the gallery.

DadaCheese wrote:
...who bought it from someone and has done the recent fix-up work

Be aware that you seem to be dealing with a 'flipper' here. Not all people who buy clapped-out cars, then repair & clean them up to sell for a profit are fast-buck artists. BUT you need to be extra careful when dealing with them. Some will do just the bare minimum to hide problems and make a car look presentable to an unsuspecting buyer. Even if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still after all, just a pig.

DadaCheese wrote:
Reading the forum, it seems that ALL Ghias do, or will, have rocker problems...

This is not true. The last three Ghias I've purchased have all been completely rust-free. You're here in CA...rust-free cars are easier to find here than almost anywhere else.
I would also be leery of a car with a hot-rodded motor that's missing things like a heating system. A poorly-built motor can turn into a big problem in short order. Driveability can also suffer if the motor wasn't built carefully with the right combination of quality parts.
Try to be a little more patient and wait for a nice all-original Ghia to come along...they are out there. Don't be tempted to buy someone else's half-baked 'restoration', or a prettied-up clunker just 'cause you want one NOW.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

First off, I want to thank everyone for their input, but also specifically:

c21darrel
NOVA Airhead
rcooled

...since those last bits of advice (that we read while on the road), also helped a lot as we examined the Ghia.

Right or wrong, good deal or a lousy one, we did buy the 1971 Ghia.

The price we negotiated was such that I could overlook a lot of what I perceive as problems or challenges, and again, we really weighed the idea of this Ghia being something that my wife can drive, versus getting right into a massive restore project.

Needless to say, my wife (who will be the primary driver of the Ghia) loves it.

Challenges right off the bat will be some electrical problems (I've rewired my '67 bus, so I am hoping those skills will come in handy), I'd like to get it keyed to one key again (and for all the lock mechanisms to work properly), and I will start scheming to see about getting the engine back to stock over time and hooked up with heater boxes again...

The rockers, as far as I can tell with my inexperienced eye are in pretty good shape. The floor pan is worse off (under the passenger's seat), but not nearly as bad as with other Ghias we have looked at.

Those things aside, it drives great and we drove it the 608 miles home. If we weren't tired, we could have done that non-stop, but we stayed at a motel half-way back to the Bay Area of California.
The whole trip for us over President's Day weekend, was a total of 1,404 miles (we even made a side-trip to visit friends in Eugene), 608 miles of which we were both driving.
Once we had bought the Ghia, we'd change cars about every two hours.

This 1971 Ghia is NOT entirely stock (the engine in particular, but I also see where some parts were swapped from other Ghias), I am not even sure (yet) what its original color was (the foil indicator is long since gone, and I haven't opened up the interior of the doors yet). It is, however, mostly complete. The person we bought it from had it painted a correct VW willow green, but the paint job is far from perfect.
Again; did I mention my wife loves it?

So, for now, for us, and for the price, it was the right choice, and it is enough of a project that we can enjoy working on it together.

My wife will eventually have a profile on TheSamba, and then you can see/read about what we're attempting to do, and get all our newbie Ghia questions then too.

Thanks everyone for your expert advice, encouragement and knowledge!

c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Had/Was considering buying this Ghia...thoughts? Slings? Reply with quote

It was someone smart who said..."There is one born every minute"...meaning...a new ghia owner. Congrats, looks like you are already enjoying it. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: