Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject: Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3 Reply with quote

Hi all, I have a relatively simple question, which compound is more coarse- Griot's Machine Polish 1 or Blue Magic TR-3. I need a pretty coarse compound for my paint. Is there anything thats more coarse than these that I can use with a random orbital buffer or my hand? I stripped a bad coat of paint off of the og paint of my 58 panel with 300 grit on a random orbital sander and am now moving up the grits of wet sanding and getting good results but would love something a little coarser than Griot's machine polish 1.
Keller
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3 Reply with quote

What grit of scratches are you going to try to buff out?
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3 Reply with quote

300 through 2000
Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3 Reply with quote

Getting out 2000 grit scratches you should barely even need compound. Ive never used Griots, but I had a look and #1 seems to be pretty course. It says its designed to be used on a random orbital polisher. Are you using one of those?
vwbusman66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3 Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
Getting out 2000 grit scratches you should barely even need compound. Ive never used Griots, but I had a look and #1 seems to be pretty course. It says its designed to be used on a random orbital polisher. Are you using one of those?

Currently, yes. Its one of the older ones they sold.
Click to view image
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3 Reply with quote

Go to autogeek.net and check out the store and the forums.

What random orbital do you have and what pads?
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Griot's Garage Machine Polish 1 vs. Blue Magic TR-3 Reply with quote

I have found the random orbit is happier polishing 3000 grit scratches than 2000. And thats with a forced rotation random orbit. A rotary would buff out 1500 scratches. So I would either sand it with 3000, or find a rotary buffer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: