Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CranK
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozsqrbck69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: CranK Reply with quote

Hope you can answer this for me! What is the difference between CB 69mm forged chromoly crank part#1105 and 69mm rev power welded counterweighted part#1110? Which crank is the better of the two?
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1105 is just a cheap 4130 Chinese forging, so most people will steer you clear of them for that reason alone. I personally don't have any issues with the China cranks, I have a 4340 in my 1915 turbo and it's held up so far.

As for the 1110, I wouldn't use that one either. I've seen that exact crank break into 2 pieces, and it wasn't being abused either. My opinion is that if you want a quality C/W crank, go to someone who does it all the time- DPR and De Mello to name a few. You'll get quality German stuff from them, not Chinese.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozsqrbck69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! Does any 1 else have any input into this?
dubkrzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPR Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turboblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniman82 wrote:

As for the 1110, I wouldn't use that one either. I've seen that exact crank break into 2 pieces, and it wasn't being abused either. My opinion is that if you want a quality C/W crank, go to someone who does it all the time- DPR and De Mello to name a few. You'll get quality German stuff from them, not Chinese.

CB gets that crank from either mfg, DPR or DMS.
The 1110 is an 69 stroke VW forged crank that has been reground and counterweighted.

Turbo VW Sand Drag Buggy

"If you don't run into the Devil every once in awhile, you must be going in the same direction!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonguetied56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: crankshafts Reply with quote

On the subject of Cranks, it would be better to use a German crank I guess but it is only a rumor in my opinion. as far as a legendary De Mello crank, I guess that is just an Urban legend as I have bought and paid for one and have been lied to and hoodwinked over but have never recieved and am out $865.00. I would rather run through some chinese cranks that actually exist. Fortunately, I have Discover card in my corner.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm my new drd crank seems to be in the same china box as the cb crank in my other motor.....they must buy china boxes so they can sell the expensive german cranks at china prices. Ive never used a vw crank in any vw motor of mine. Ive never had any crank issues. I have used the welded cw cranks on others motors, with no issues other than a lot more deburring of the cranks before usage. after drilling the first vw crank I had ever done(for extra dowels)I decided not to use them do to it drilling as easy as aluminum.I dont want a soft crank.are they all like that?? I dont have a clue.I do have a unused welded 78.4 cw crank I bought & never used.will I ever use it....probably not.but the quality looks very good& I send him my cranks to balance.
so get what you want the choice is yours,if everything is right you should not have any issues with any of it. I have close to 70000 miles on a scat 78.8 cast crank. I also use coated bearings in my motors, they are well worth the cost. if you have issues with something in the motor you will have problems if it's not corrected before it's done. it's not majick, just look at how many cars are out there built by the millions, with new parts that speck out corectly and are slaped togeather. rembember, if there is shit in the motor, shit happens.
jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scat is the best chinese crank. If i will use one for my own builds i pick this one first. Second choice are dpr/dms. These are of the "affordable" choices. Chinese std cranks are good imo up to 200+hp. Some are using it much more, but that is what id feel comfortable using it up to. All my personal engines use Scat or dpr cranks.

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with my CB forged cranks at all. They are not forged at the same factory as the Empi and other generic forged cranks. they are forged to their specs at a different facility.

brad
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CranK Reply with quote

Is the CB-Performance 1105 Crank Counterweighted? I just got one. It's shaped like it's the counterweighted crank but it does not say it is in any of the CB-Performance literature. Link to it: http://www.cbperformance.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1105
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: CranK Reply with quote

Yes Counterweighted

www.facebook.com/JoeBenceEnterprises
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CranK Reply with quote

I used CB's 74 mm counterweighted crank, and it was bang on the money all around. I too was skeptical about the "demon china cranks" but like Mark says, if there's shit in the motor shit will happen. 10K miles since build and counting at a rate of 250-300 miles per week...

-Frank
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: crankshafts Reply with quote

tonguetied56 wrote:
On the subject of Cranks, it would be better to use a German crank I guess but it is only a rumor in my opinion. as far as a legendary De Mello crank, I guess that is just an Urban legend as I have bought and paid for one and have been lied to and hoodwinked over but have never recieved and am out $865.00. I would rather run through some chinese cranks that actually exist. Fortunately, I have Discover card in my corner.

Sorry about that. Bob's getting old, and on mental vacation most of the time, but he still does a very good job.....eventually, sometimes. LOL

I found on a 74mm CB crank the dowel pin pattern was off center by .002"
I had to find a flywheel that was off center a similar amount and line it up the right way to make it work. Never before had that problem. I checked a EMPI 78 stroke I had on the shelf and the dowel pattern was perfectly centered. Just one more thing to check...........
watch out!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: