Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Suction-cup on Windshield falls off (GPS)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Suction-cup on Windshield falls off (GPS) Reply with quote

Suction cups are historically made out of some kind of fexible material, which after time spent getting blasted by heat from the sun, & the cold of the night.

Unfortunately after a pretty short time that suction cup while it may look good, the elasticity of the cup goes bye, bye, and regardless what you do, the jig is up, and it'll have a hard time holding suction to thr glass.

I use a Passport in my windshield to monitor the charging rate in whatever vehicle I'm in or on.
It has a neat HD flip lever suction cup on it and it too is getting weak with time.
I've washed it in alcohol, soap, water, fatatstic, Windex, whatever.
The glass in my vehicles is sanitary.
There comes a time in that mounts lifespan, that it will no longer hang.

Time for a new mount.

I called passport and inquired about this same exact problem a few years ago.They told me that a suction cup has a useful lifespan, and they Do have to be replaced once every few years.

Nothing lasts forever.

Buy a new mount.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Suction-cup on Windshield falls off (GPS) Reply with quote

Those suction cups with the sticky rubber linked above are the way to go. Available everywhere. They will even stick on a dashboard and come off without residue or marks. On the windshield they are insanely effective and truly take both hands to get off. That will solve your problem - guaranteed. I use my GPS on the windshield in the boat and it has never fallen off with that mount. The perfect setup. Mine's 3 years old and beat up but it takes just a rinse with warm water every year or so and back to full power. Never, ever falls off.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
California562
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Suction-cup on Windshield falls off (GPS) Reply with quote

I was thinking about a GPS (like Rand McNally since runs 8hrs on battery alone supposedly - which is loads better than the popular Garmen ones etc - i hate chords everywhere- esp if suctioned on the left side of the steering wheel). My buddy had said should just hardwire it to the ignition 12volt. that would be good.. but the more i think about it, why not get a single din flip out NavGPS/stereo/bluetooth/DVD/etc? no wires, no damn suction cup pop-offs, no bean bags falling off, also if you have a dash cover that's velcro (like mine) not many good options for keeping it planted. some of the units use wifi for the GPS which sucks imo but others don't. just an alternative idea. even if hardwire the GPS to the ignition still have suction ordeal.
here's a single din unit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Navigation-HD-Single-1...rmvSB=true
more on amazon too..
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Suction-cup on Windshield falls off (GPS) Reply with quote

California562 wrote:
... a dash cover that's velcro (like mine) ...

glue the other velcro to the back of the GPS

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Suction-cup on Windshield falls off (GPS) Reply with quote

TK is spot on. It's probably time to replace it. However, on my older ones 3m Spray adhesive works pretty well. Doesn't matter if it's on it's last leg because you're probably getting your last 'stick' out of it anyway. It's simple to clean spray adhesive off your glass when it finally dies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Suction-cup on Windshield falls off (GPS) Reply with quote

use a map, no new fangled satallite gizmo that falls of windshield and breaks the screen.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: