Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Relocating oil pressure switch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
What sealant are you guys using on the hose threads?

I chose not to use any on the M10 male > 1/8NPT female adapter into the block. I did put a single wrap of teflon on the NPT threads to help it tighten easier and seal more effectively from minor creep. The biggest issue is making sure that you don't push strands of PTFE into the engine.

Btw, did anyone have an issue with 42 draft designs not including said adapter? My kit didn't have one, and I had to ask them to send me one separately.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitarman63mm wrote:
poptop tom wrote:

I chose not to use any on the M10 male > 1/8NPT female adapter into the block. I did put a single wrap of teflon on the NPT threads to help it tighten easier and seal more effectively from minor creep. The biggest issue is making sure that you don't push strands of PTFE into the engine.

Btw, did anyone have an issue with 42 draft designs not including said adapter? My kit didn't have one, and I had to ask them to send me one separately.

I thought mine included the adapter, but it was purchased a few years ago. So it might be an add-on now?
I'm thinking about going with a tad bit of Permatex High Temp Thread Sealer on my threaded connections.
Thoughts on that anyone?
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:
guitarman63mm wrote:
poptop tom wrote:

I thought mine included the adapter, but it was purchased a few years ago. So it might be an add-on now?
I'm thinking about going with a tad bit of Permatex High Temp Thread Sealer on my threaded connections.
Thoughts on that anyone?

No, they made a shipping error, it's definitely supposed to be in the kit. Just curious if anyone else ran into the same error.

As for the threadlocker/sealant, I defer to what I said earlier. Pipe thread is tapered and does not require sealant, but you probably won't have any issues (provided that stuff is just a sealant and not a threadlocker...I would not like threadlocker on any of these connections)

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poptop tom wrote:

You have to be careful with what you use as you need a good ground. I used one layer of Teflon tape. I then added a ground wire to be safe.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 42DD block, purchased recently, doesn't have all M10 inlets in the machined block...one of mine is NPT. So they include the block, the hose, the M10 block off bolt, and an NPT block off grub screw. Therefore, no adapter is needed as they're accommodating a variety of ports on the block already.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougB wrote:
My 42DD block, purchased recently, doesn't have all M10 inlets in the machined block...one of mine is NPT. So they include the block, the hose, the M10 block off bolt, and an NPT block off grub screw. Therefore, no adapter is needed as they're accommodating a variety of ports on the block already.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to this. The 42 block has two 1/8NPT ports and two M10 ports. Without this adapter, you will be threading 1/8NPT into M10 and totally screwing up the threads in the engine case. Did you just screw the hose straight into the case? Contrary to popular belief on here, 1/8NPT and M10 are not at all the same. They are similar for the first five threads or so - close enough that they're make an interference fit, but past that, you'll start to destroy the threads.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the hose supplied with the kit is not the correct male threads? Even the 42DD instructions included with the kit point out the differences between M10 and NPT. They were careful to provide two differently tapped fittings in the block...I'm tempted to say that they know the difference. As for me, I haven't installed my kit yet, only assembled the senders on the block, installed the block-off screws and installed the male end into the "Hose" port in the block.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and looked at the product page...I don't ever remember seeing that adapter listed when I ordered the kit, but there it is on the product page now. Has anyone contacted them about it? Is there a chance that they were using hoses with the correct threads, then ran out and had to go with the adapter? Just wondering if I should go ahead and ask for the adapter.

Thx!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came home and checked my kit, and there was the afire mentioned adapter. Sorry all, I was wrong on this one. Thanks to all for even bringing it to my attention! The adapter is now on the end of my hose, and the whole unit is ready for installation. I'm going to use the VDO dual sender to power the idiot light as well as the gauge (because of Steve's description of the maybe excessively low pressure threshold for the stock unit).
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Not to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to get people's opinion on this location for the 42 Draft Designs relocation kit.

I love the clean look of the firewall mounting location, but like others I've got the 12" hose that came with the kit, so wanted to make use of it if I can.

The hose is routed to the bottom-left of the distributor and comes up behind the fan shroud. I currently have it anchored with 3 zip ties, but I'd fabricate a bracket to hold it in place if this location is deemed suitable.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Buy the 18" hose and mount it over by the ignition module on the firewall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Get the longer hose or secure it to the 3/4 intake. Where you have it is really tight for space if you need to do any timing work or cold start valve issues, plus it looks like you would have to unscrew it to do anything in that area because of the cooling flap bar.

Also in your first picture, what do you have the large paper air duct hooked up to? It should go from the overhead fan to the duct in the tin by #4. It looks like you have a 79 bus, is it possible you have a rear tin from a 75?

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Why does it look like you have the dual pole VDO sender installed into s manifold along with a oil pressure switch? Or is that an oil temp bulb?

Keep in mind that the case of the sender must be grounded so that usually means either you use a stainless hose or a metal bracket to attach the sender to the engine.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Also in your first picture, what do you have the large paper air duct hooked up to? It should go from the overhead fan to the duct in the tin by #4. It looks like you have a 79 bus, is it possible you have a rear tin from a 75?

I have wondered about that. I do have a 79 CA. The duct runs into the opening in the tin to the left of the fan guard. The tin by #4 has no hole. Figured it had to do with the differences in CA exhaust layout.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow

Last edited by BayCreamPuff on Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Why does it look like you have the dual pole VDO sender installed into s manifold along with a oil pressure switch? Or is that an oil temp bulb?

Keep in mind that the case of the sender must be grounded so that usually means either you use a stainless hose or a metal bracket to attach the sender to the engine.

I do have the dual pole sender and the stock oil pressure switch. I'm only using the VDO sender for the pressure gauge, but figured I might as well have a backup for the pressure switch if it were to go bad.

The 42 Draft Designs 4-way aluminum block has a ground screw on it. You can kind of make it out in the photo.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
thxsound1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

I bought a 42 Draft Designs one too. This is my setup.
77westynewmex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me where to get the 18 inch hose so I can mount the sender to the firewall.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

77westynewmex wrote:
Can anyone tell me where to get the 18 inch hose so I can mount the sender to the firewall.

You should be able to get one made up, at a local industrial-hose supplier, to whatever length you want, with whatever end-fittings you want.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Relocating oil pressure switch Reply with quote

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-64151518erl/overview/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: