Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

yeah! ...I apologise I need to be more careful with my wording.

I was also thinking about a head replacement, and then, to be honest started thinking about just putting everything back in and driving it as is, and start looking for a whole new ENGINE! ...but no, seems these injectors threads are fine. . .

The way I see it, as long as there is nothing radically wrong with this engine, I am happy to give it everything it needs to make it the best it can be. For sure I will get a new set of metal pipes (guess they will need a tiny bit of bending to fit perfectly?)

I really don't care about driving fast. My main concern is reliability... I'd like to stay as stock as possible because I would guess that the original VW designers knew what is best for the vehicle.

Having said all of that - perhaps when all of this is over and GEorge has stablized and matured, at that point I might get another, and strip it right down 100% kinda thing... maybe a syncro... ? [but that's in the future perhaps]
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Hello!

your injector is fine, it's just "clocked" differently Wink

Actually, you are right Smile

ALIKA T3 wrote:

For the 1.6D, the Turbo engines were branded the same way.

So do you think this really is a JX? We still have not yet positivily identified it as such... it still might be a CS with a turbo upgrade, no?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

The 1.6TD blocks say the same 1.6D on them. The only positive indicators I know to determine if the block is a TD or n/a block are the engine code stamped behind the bypass hose by the cylinder head and to pull the oil pan and look to see if it has the piston cooling oil jets.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

metal pipes about $85 a set... they also sell individually for about $25 for one.
http://www.vwbusshop.cz/diesel/sada-vstrikovacich-trubek.html
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Are those JX? The typical 1.6TD lines are different.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

they are not specifying "JX", but rather seem to be indicating that these should fit all 1,6TD.

...what is the difference?

Maybe best would be to actually go there physically, and compare my set with theirs... but they are a bit far away - in Prague.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

I think my first trip will be to Bosnia... the land of cheap T3 PARTS! Very Happy
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

http://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/injection-line-kit-td
CHARLIE-DONT-SURF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
I think my first trip will be to Bosnia... the land of cheap T3 PARTS! Very Happy

Good luck chap.

Got thrown out twice at Gunpoint, they dont have a GSOH. Once at Said and once at Bihac. Was on me way to the Metal Factory in BL Very Happy

If your van is in good fettle try the Mali Alan, can do it in a 2WD as its gravelled road. Locals do it in all sorts of knackered cars Shocked Laughing
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
http://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/injection-line-kit-td

Yes this one looks better, and cheaper, and includes the anti-vibe clips also.

One reason why I like to source things inside Czech is that even though this is supposed to be the "European Union" still you have to pay duty on mail order stuff worth more than 25euro! ...but we have relatives that come here from Germany several times a year who could bring stuff > those metal pipes are easy to change anytime, no? [but they would make quite a big mess wouldn't they?]
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

GLOW PLUGS REPLACEMENT:

I assume that it would be idiotic not to replace these now that I have the IP out... can I also assume that it is simply a question of buying the new glow plugs and inserting them?

$10US each sourced here in Czech:
http://www.vwbusshop.cz/diesel/zhavici-svicka-bosch.html
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Got the intermediary sprocket off... this one did not POP off > rather it kinda "oozed" off slowly slowly with the increasing pressure from the puller... ...here is what it looks like.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

,,,and backside is covered in oil Shocked ...hmmm? Telltale of anything perhaps? Cool

next are a couple of 'happy' pics of the intermediary shaft - so far so good.

these next fotos show the shaft from the underside and clearly show a leak there I would say. I wonder if it might have leaked because the shaft bolt had been left completely un-tightened? But anyway, it doesn't matter cuz I will replace that seal anyway (along with the cam and crank front seals)

...here is the crank sprocket...
...that bolt looks in bad condition > I hope it won't give me trouble when removing...

looking at the crank sprocket, it appears to me that the TB was also not tracking well here > riding towards the outer edge.

Here is a funky foto into the head Smile

ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Andrew A. Libby wrote:
Are those JX? The typical 1.6TD lines are different.

They selling only parts for T3 (Vanagon) so it is definitely for JX and it has the clip also (spona trubek)
There are no wonders in pricing it should be a better quality than the Jäger ones.
These aftermarket parts like the piping and the glow plugs are commonly availablewith one day order in bigger car parts stores like Auto Kelly. And you have an autokelly store in Opava

http://www.autokelly.cz/Catalog/osobni-automobil-n...691;673996 There is an english language page also, but I cannot link it in somehow.

Bolt for mainshaft sprocket: http://www.autokelly.cz/Product/FB-09590/1226359/3...9;32968340
Glow plugs:
http://www.autokelly.cz/Catalog/volkswagen-transpo...8;32903072
http://www.autokelly.cz/Product/VR-81-19299-10/241...0;38240503

Last edited by ZsZ on Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:51 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

i just did the glow plugs on my 88 1.6TD and it made a huge difference. the van is fast now, i mean like off the line (hidden first gear, 5spd.) fast! i never thought i would be able to say that about a vanagon with a stock engine . careful that the copper busbar doesnt twist too much when removing it.(thing that connects the glowplugs) but yeah the IP makes it a pain in the ass to change the glow plugs normally plus getting those tiny 8mm nuts back on is nearly impossible without a magnet and thin hands (although you and i are both dexterous form years of playing Wink). do it now while you can i usd bosch plugs that were made in france and one actually came out of the box stripped so be sure to inspect the threads the also get tightened to 22ft. lbs. or about 30nm (see my thread about the conflicting info on this). im so psyched you got the IP out! im sure once you get it back in youll be surprised at how zippy the van is!
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

1) shim= 3.65 gap= 0.35 NEED SHIM 3.60 [can use shim from #4]
2) shim= 3.50 gap= 0.15 NEED SHIM 3.45 [must order it]
3) shim= 3.45 gap= 0.40
4) shim= 3.60 gap= 0.15 NEED SHIM 3.55 [must order it]
5) shim= 3.50 gap= 0.20
6) shim= 3.65 gap= 0.40
7) shim= 3.60 gap= 0.20
8] shim= 3.90 gap= 0.50 NEED SHIM 3.95 [must order it]

So I MUST order these 3:

...now, thinking ahead - if we assume that the gaps are going to get smaller and smaller, then the next time I do the measurements, it might be that each gap is 0.05 smaller - therefore I will need shims 0.05 smaller than the current shims - so taking all this into consideration as well as what shims I will have left over it might be wise to also order these shims:

Thanks ZOLTAN for the AUTOKELLY tip! ...there is an outlet just near my place (which is far from Prague) - and they even have those 'hard to find' SHIMS >>> but looks like they are "out of stock" on most of them. Probably I will visit them and see if they can order... their prices are amazing... about $2 each shim.
http://old.autokelly.cz/Catalog.aspx#|Y33buV4cvEnk...jpwxme2IA=
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

epowell wrote:

Thanks ZOLTAN for the AUTOKELLY tip! ...there is an outlet just near my place (which is far from Prague) - and they even have those 'hard to find' SHIMS >>> but looks like they are "out of stock" on most of them. Probably I will visit them and see if they can order... their prices are amazing... about $2 each shim.

I am sure they will take the order for a one or two week lead time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

...this is GREAT!

Seems everything is falling into place. . .

The one thing I simply can't find are the waterpump gaskets and o-rings >>> I still have not decided 100% about my waterpump, but I just have a feeling that mine is really still pretty good. True the PO(S) put it on the list of things to change - BUT(!) I think that he really doesn't know how old it is. He never used this engine > he bought the van and then put in a 1.9TD... I was so surprized that when I separated the waterpump from housing the bolts came off just like butter and cream (!)... and EVERYONE told me they would be next to impossible to get off. . . . and the pump looks great. So I strongly suspect that the owner before the previous owner had the waterpump changed soon before selling the van to the PO. I suspect the pump is pretty new.

And since changing the waterpump is not difficult, I am thinking about just putting that waterpump back in... but where to find gaskets and o-rings for that?? ...or is it possible to re-use the old ones?? Probably not I'd guess. . . .

edit: or if I can't get the gasket I could just order a complete new pump and housing, and keep the old one as a good spare?

Last edited by epowell on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
i just did the glow plugs on my 88 1.6TD and it made a huge difference. the van is fast now, i mean like off the line (hidden first gear, 5spd.) fast! i never thought i would be able to say that about a vanagon with a stock engine . careful that the copper busbar doesnt twist too much when removing it.(thing that connects the glowplugs) but yeah the IP makes it a pain in the ass to change the glow plugs normally plus getting those tiny 8mm nuts back on is nearly impossible without a magnet and thin hands (although you and i are both dexterous form years of playing Wink). do it now while you can i usd bosch plugs that were made in france and one actually came out of the box stripped so be sure to inspect the threads the also get tightened to 22ft. lbs. or about 30nm (see my thread about the conflicting info on this). im so psyched you got the IP out! im sure once you get it back in youll be surprised at how zippy the van is!

Yeah, my GEorge was not exactly "zippy" before... and now with the heavy interior crap out (fridge and gas cylinders etc etc) it should be pretty "peppy" >>> but I'll be happy if I even manage to START him again Very Happy

But I'm confused with what you wrote... I thought that glow plugs are only used to START the van... and once the van is running they do nothing, right? So how can new glow plugs do anything more than just help the van to start better?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

Depending on the relay/controller, the glow plugs may stay on for a short period after the engine starts, but beyond that do nothing. They will not affect the performance of a warmed up engine.
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.6 TD JX timing belt change / injector pump timing set Reply with quote

yeah i was having starting issues , i just meant that the motor itself runs VERY well once it is all adjusted properly (in addition to being able to start)i think it is one of the 'faster' ones i have ever driven compared to regular gasoliine motors such as the 1.9, i havent driven a 2.0 with a five speed so that might be about the same i dont know . it seems to me that irregardless it is a good move to change the plugs since youre up north and in cold climates and your IP is out of the way.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 99, 100, 101  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 101

Jump to: