Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title Reply with quote

Pinetops wrote:
In Alabama if you register an old vehicle with or without a title (don't need one), you cannot get a new title even if you want one. It's annoying/convienent depending on the situation.

It makes absolutely no difference what happens in Alabama when the OP is in CO. EVERY STATE has different V&T Laws concerning titling and registering vehicles.
Please stop confusing this thread with anecdotes about what happens in your state. It isn't the slightest bit helpful to the OP and doesn't answer his question.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

I'm liking the VT option. Price and hassle seem appropriate for the return.

Now all this would be for naught if one of you fine folks would just give me a bus with a title. Very Happy

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

boundstaffpress wrote:
I'm liking the VT option. Price and hassle seem appropriate for the return.

Now all this would be for naught if one of you fine folks would just give me a bus with a title. Very Happy

The VT route works very well, I've used it myself and it's just as easy as it sounds.

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
guanella74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

Second the Vermont route. I live in Colorado and have done it twice now. You'll pay about $400 for the VT registration etc, and then pay again when you transfer your Vermont registration into a Colorado title (this time you pay depending on what you purchased the vehicle for if I remember right).

The only thing is that to transfer it they have to do a VIN inspection, and they may throw a fit and not title it if the bus looks like it's non-operable, so don't drag a crusty shell of a bus in wanting to xfer the title unless you want trouble.

My .02! Good luck!

1974 Westy CampMobile - the OG!
1979 Transporter
1979 Transporter
1977 Transporter
1974 Transporter
1973 Transporter
1971 Westy
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

I've done three state to state transfer inspections on cars that came in from KS and IL. In fact I'm getting ready to do another one tomorrow. The Sherrif just compares the dash Vin to the title Vin and fills in the rest of the paperwork then goes inside to see if it is reported stolen or involved in another type of crime. Painless in my experience so far.

If I were to buy a non-running car, I would pursue the VT route and wait till it ran before I took it to be inspected. My first inspection I was super worried, and fixed a turn signal, and a burned out bright bulb. The officer didn't even check any of the things I was worried about. The next one, I had a smashed headlight, and the car had been stuck in a ditch. Cop said nothing of that.

Thanks everyone for your help. Glad to have such a great group with lots of prompt suggestions.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
67sash wrote:
I would look for an easier route myself. If you have the title of a different parts bus, then like the baja guys do...just switch the vin and Mcode plates and move forward.

Don't pull this shit. That's a Federal offense you don't have to commit when there are so many legal ways of doing it.

Register the Bus in VT. Once you get the VT registration in the mail take that to your DMV in CO and register it there, if CO titles vehicles that old, you will get a title in your name for the VT registration. www.benboyle.com

Anyone else's experience in another state is entirely meaningless and unhelpful. Explore options in your state with your DMV and through their website about registering a vehicle without a title. If you don't feel comfortable with their procedure or think you can't fulfill their requirements, register it in VT with the link above. Your state HAS to honor the laws of transfer of ownership from the last state issued ownership document, be it a title or registration. Going the VT route you will have to pay low NADA value for tax on the Bus but it's quick ,easy and you'll have the registration back from them in 2 weeks.

I second (or third) the Vermont route. Easy, quick, and painless. I did mine a few years back and I had to pay tax to VT as VDubTech mentioned. When I eventually transferred it to Pennsylvania I did not have to pay the tax again since I was already the owner of the vehicle. I would imagine your state would be similar. If I remember correctly, if you obtain a VT title and transfer it to another state within a certain amount of time you can obtain a refund on your tax. Although the next state you try and title it in will probably collect the tax from you instead. Seriously, this is the way to go.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:

Anyone else's experience in another state is entirely meaningless and unhelpful. Explore options in your state with your DMV and through their website about registering a vehicle without a title.

Ease up killa. There are plenty of similarities from state to state when it comes to registering/titling a vehicle. Plenty of differences also. Suggestions and experiences in other states could be helpful by sparking an idea or question to be presented to the local county clerk/DMV. I know that my county clerk and all of the tennessee government websites fail to mention the process of how to title a vehicle with no title. They do actually, they tell you to find the original title owner and have them apply for a lost title. NOT the only process. They make no mention of the certification of ownership form. Maybe CO is the same? I don't know.

I was close to going the VT route and finally found a guy locally who told me about the process I mentioned. The VT route is expensive and there are other options. Low blue book on my 76 that I traded for (no money changed hands) was near $6k. You want to pay taxes on $6k because a book appraised your bus at that value? Maybe swapping VIN tags, mechanics liens, and abandon claims are not right but neither is that.

I'll continue to help (or not) in any way I know how.
'74 Westy (parts)
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
Pinetops wrote:
In Alabama if you register an old vehicle with or without a title (don't need one), you cannot get a new title even if you want one. It's annoying/convienent depending on the situation.

It makes absolutely no difference what happens in Alabama when the OP is in CO. EVERY STATE has different V&T Laws concerning titling and registering vehicles.
Please stop confusing this thread with anecdotes about what happens in your state. It isn't the slightest bit helpful to the OP and doesn't answer his question.

Georgia doesn't require a title for vehicles older than 1986.

Razz
redwagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

I've bought several cars in Colorado without titles and it's not too hard to get one. Colorado has a process called an "affidavit in lieu of bond". You need to have a notarized bill of sale, a certified VIN instepection from the state patrol, and a title search. If the title search shows no encumbrances, you fill out the affidavit and get a title in the mail about a month later.

https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/sites/default/files/DR2462.pdf
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title Reply with quote

Peabody wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

Anyone else's experience in another state is entirely meaningless and unhelpful. Explore options in your state with your DMV and through their website about registering a vehicle without a title.

Ease up killa.

Peabody - VDubTech has worked for the dmv in NY for a very long time, and knows automotive titling laws better than anyone here.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

Not speaking for the man, but I doubt he spends his time keeping up on titling in 53 different States of the Union - not to mention local variations.

I appreciate all who contributed to the title discussion both in state and out of state. Information is good, and if you don't feel it is relevant to your situation, you can pass it over without comment.

The Samba owns the thread, not any one poster.
Peabody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Peabody wrote:
VDubTech wrote:

Ease up killa.

Peabody - VDubTech has worked for the dmv in NY for a very long time, and knows automotive titling laws better than anyone here.

I'm well aware he works for the enemy. Twisted Evil Razz Razz

I appreciate VDubTech's experience and don't doubt for a second that he knows his job and the law. But in my experience that is not the case at my local county clerk/DMV. Shocked
'74 Westy (parts)
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

The original post title was a little ambiguous.
"Who has bought a bus without a title"
I edited it to reflect the question at hand.
"Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado"

boundstaffpress, hope this helps.
Tcash
BerneseMtnDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

I used these guys to get a title for a 69 Lotus I bought ten or so years ago. Very easy and a similar process to what others here have posted.
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/index.htm

Steve
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

Please note : Vermont does not issue a title for any car over 15 years old They do issue a registration & plates, NOT a Title.

Vt. does charge a high tax on older Buses ect. but it might be a cheaper legal way to go, plus, we need the ca$h... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Please note : Vermont does not issue a title for any car over 15 years old They do issue a registration & plates, NOT a Title.

Vt. does charge a high tax on older Buses ect. but it might be a cheaper legal way to go, plus, we need the ca$h... Laughing

I did this for my '77 back in October of 2013. I paid $285 (VT valued Bus at $4,750) in tax, plus $70 for the registration. $355 total was a bargain considering the amount of headache I saved. Not to mention that I drove the Bus for a year with the Vermont tags that I received with that price.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Not speaking for the man, but I doubt he spends his time keeping up on titling in 53 different States of the Union - not to mention local variations.

53 states huh? Interesting. While I may not know title and registration requirements in every state off the top of my head, I do know a hell of a lot. I've titled cars in NY from all 50 states and 3 foreign countries. V&T Laws are state laws, there are no local variations. For instance, PA requires a notary at transfer of title (one of 15 states that require notarization presently) but NY does not. If you bring me a PA title to transfer to NY and it isn't notarized, I can't register or title that car. Even though NY doesn't require it, because PA does, we have to abide by their requirements for title transfer in our state. I also have reference materials for all 50 states plus Canada that outlines every detail of that jurisdictions title, registration and licensing requirements. I don't know it all that's for sure but the information is right at my fingertips. I've helped a lot of Samba members with title and registration issues in NY and I'm happy to do so.

Abscate wrote:
I appreciate all who contributed to the title discussion both in state and out of state. Information is good, and if you don't feel it is relevant to your situation, you can pass it over without comment.

The Samba owns the thread, not any one poster.

I know you feel like all of the extraneous information is helpful, but believe me it's not. If this was a general titling thread it might be, but even then the amount of untrue information is staggering. Everyone's a DMV expert until it comes time to get the transaction done believe me. The OP is in CO. Something that's perfectly legal to do in CO could get you arrested in another state. Believe me I know the DMV can be a pain in the ass but I guarantee you there's a car guy in a DMV somewhere near you that knows this stuff. I'm not trying to be an asshole when I say that, because overloading a person with information about a titling law in a state they don't live in is just confusing to that person. I see it and hear it literally every day.

That being said, the VT route is definitely the way to go. Any state in the Union will take that VT registration and if it's a titled vehicle in your state you will get a title for it. If it's a state like NY that doesn't title older cars you'll get a transferable registration. Quick, easy, fairly inexpensive and perfectly legal.

SGKent wrote:

Thank you for the compliment Steve....see not all DMV workers are complete assholes. Just most of us. Twisted Evil

notchboy wrote:

EverettB wrote:
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

VDubTech wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Thank you for the compliment Steve....see not all DMV workers are complete assholes. Just most of us. Twisted Evil

I literally had my Bus for over 9 years without a title, trying to figure out how to legally obtain one because the guy I bought it from was too burnt to follow through. I probably never thanked him for it, but VDubTech convinced me to go the Vermont route in a similar thread, and within two weeks I had a VT registration and plates. As long as you know your vehicle isn't stolen it's the easiest, most perfectly legal way to go.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Who has bought a bus without a title in Colorado Reply with quote

Anyone who complains about NYDMV truly is wet behind the ears. Compared to the past that is a well run operation that I routinely get stuff done in 15-20 minutes when I can't do it on line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: