Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Barn find' stories what's your best find?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
May25-1941
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that guys list their VWs at the bottom of each message...I`ll see if I can recall the years.....
1956,58,59,60,61,62,64,2-66,68,69,3-71,76 Bugs. Some bug chassis `57 to '72. 63 & 66 Single cabs,59,62,65,66 Buses,`70 Camper loaded. The 1941 Kubel,a 66 Manx(yellow),`70 Pan with channeled Model-A body, and working on a 71 Ratrod lowered & extended in a unique way.Questions?
Finding more VWs every week,so will update my list in May. Geordie
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We list them in our Signature in our Control Panel.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jerry55vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1997, me and a buddy were driving through San Juan Bautista and we saw a nice double cab parked in the front yard of this house. We stopped, knocked on the door and a woman with a 7-8 year old child answered. We asked if she wanted to sell the double cab out front and she said it was her husbands and he was not there. The little boy piped in saying " my dad has the rarest Vw in the world in the garage!!!!! Mommy, show them!!!" Me and my friend kinda looked at each other and said ya right! She told us to come back later when her husband was home and he would show us. So we returned a few hours later and the husband came out. He said he was interested in selling the double cab but he wanted $5k for it! Now way we said, the original red paint was too faded, not really worth that kind of money! Oops...... Anyway, we asked what he had in the garage and he brought us in to show us a very complete Country Buggy with a hard top. It was very clean. I had never seen one before. He said he would not sell it. Went back a couple years later and the house was gone, a new neighborhood was built where the house was. I wonder what happened to either of those cars. Big mistake!!!!!
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this find in Peru

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q4MdM6VYiAA#t=162
54ovsemi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this 356 nearly 10 years ago, last year I finally made contact with the owner but he decided to let it go to his son Crying or Very sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1955 Semaphore Oval
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Feb. I looked at a Bay I remembered from 15 years ago:

I also found this:

The Bay is sold & the 356 is not for sale.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry55vw wrote:
Back in 1997, me and a buddy were driving through San Juan Bautista and we saw a nice double cab parked in the front yard of this house. We stopped, knocked on the door and a woman with a 7-8 year old child answered. We asked if she wanted to sell the double cab out front and she said it was her husbands and he was not there. The little boy piped in saying " my dad has the rarest Vw in the world in the garage!!!!! Mommy, show them!!!" Me and my friend kinda looked at each other and said ya right! She told us to come back later when her husband was home and he would show us. So we returned a few hours later and the husband came out. He said he was interested in selling the double cab but he wanted $5k for it! Now way we said, the original red paint was too faded, not really worth that kind of money! Oops...... Anyway, we asked what he had in the garage and he brought us in to show us a very complete Country Buggy with a hard top. It was very clean. I had never seen one before. He said he would not sell it. Went back a couple years later and the house was gone, a new neighborhood was built where the house was. I wonder what happened to either of those cars. Big mistake!!!!!

Wow the VW world is small. When I still lived in San Martin I used to go to San Juan for lunch and can remember that Double Cab. I never stopped to check it out though.
Homeresque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early '80s I'd go with my parents to York, Nebraska to visit relatives. Ever since I was little I remembered a black bug looking forlorn in someones backyard. So when I was about 19 and deep into VW I went and there it still was, about 2 blocks from my aunts house. Turned out she was related to the 90 year old woman there. One inquiry and yes, I could buy it for $100. Pushed it to aunts house, spent rest of week changing fluids, tires, new battery, tune-up. '63 sunroof, OG black ext/red int, radio delete, pop-outs, crate 1300 with a bad starter bushing...probably why parked in early '70s. How on earth did it not get sucked-up by a tornado all those years?? Drove it from Neb to Ariz when my mom asks me "What are you going to do with that bug? You already have 3 VWs in my garage (in Calif), leave it here for your nephew." Had to sell and leave it for cost+$100. Understand today/2014 car is restored in Phoenix area.
Stupid nephew.

In '89 I already had 4-5 cars in yard when talked to a guy in Glendora with a red/white '62 23-window rolling shell in his driveway. Turned out he'd be happy to sell to get it out of his yard, $750. He had completely dismantled this bus and had every single piece of it in boxes in garage. I had never had a deluxe before, was like doing a jigsaw puzzle without the box top. Took 5 weeks every night after work and weekends to reach the end...only things missing was motor and windsheild glass. Put some OG safaris and a weber motor in and rolled. '62 sunroof deluxe, OG SWR/white ext, OG int 3 seats/panels, even OG sunroof cover, 16K miles. I made the mistake of putting Firestone WWs on it so everywhere I went it drew a crowd, was like driving the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile. So in the absolute STUPIDIST moment of my life (besides the passing on a '51 OG paint 23-window for $750 in '83), in '91 decide to sell it and list it in the autotrader for $5600. Probably within 3 minutes of hitting the stands a caller says he'll be right over, ended up being a 20-something Japanese guy with a translator, said he lived in Hollywood Hills, peeled off the cash without even driving it.
Guess I shoulda caught that.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Homer --- Come to the Friday night car show at the Von's -- there will be a few VW's there -- I've got the white Ghia
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: KdF barnfind in Finland Reply with quote

Found this 1945 Kübelwagen in Finland in 2009, complete numbers matching (except engine) in parts. Sitting in this barn since 1974.
Homeresque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fiatdude...a couple years ago I saw a white Fiat with a big TypeI w/48IDAs stuffed in it there at the Vons thing, was that yours??? That thing was the most bitchin car I'd seen since the days of Bug-Ins at OCIR! Of course absolutely no one there was checking it out besides me, at that venue it might as well have been a Checker Cab.
I might swing by, but every time I go there I swear to myself I'll never go again.
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

found at an auction in a barn

found in a garage. i drove buy for years thinking it was a super beetle.

Barn fell down around it (1956)

'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this one in the late 80s, $150. There where a pair of OG safari windows (one with broken glass, no hardware) in the bus under a bunch of junk. It was the 80s no one really liked buses at that time, sadly we cut it up Shocked and sold the parts at Bug O Rama. I never was into window buses but this one still bothers me.
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeresque wrote:
Hey Fiatdude...a couple years ago I saw a white Fiat with a big TypeI w/48IDAs stuffed in it there at the Vons thing, was that yours??? That thing was the most bitchin car I'd seen since the days of Bug-Ins at OCIR! Of course absolutely no one there was checking it out besides me, at that venue it might as well have been a Checker Cab.
I might swing by, but every time I go there I swear to myself I'll never go again.

HMMMM --- Did it look like this LOL

It was a "barn find" that I found out in Ontario -- looked like this when I found it

It eventually ended up looking like this

And Doing this -- engine evolved to a turbo'd 2165

RichElliott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bill wrote:
Found this one in the late 80s, $150. There where a pair of OG safari windows (one with broken glass, no hardware) in the bus under a bunch of junk. It was the 80s no one really liked buses at that time, sadly we cut it up Shocked and sold the parts at Bug O Rama. I never was into window buses but this one still bothers me.

Ouch! Hopefully the parts helped other buses stay alive... ;--)
1969 Yellow Ghia (aka Mr. Rusty)
1972 Yellow Ghia
LocalCred
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Homeresque
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiatdude wrote:
Homeresque wrote:

HMMMM --- Did it look like this LOL

It was a "barn find" that I found out in Ontario -- looked like this when I found it

It eventually ended up looking like this

And Doing this -- engine evolved to a turbo'd 2165

WOW!!!...I need to check back on this thread more often! Yes indeed, that was the one. Of course I'm a lame sucker for OG paint so when you had that still in that original white paint and that motor transplant, I could have fainted.
Fast forward to today and I'm taking my current dove blue Kombi on its maiden voyages around the neighborhood, will most likely cruise it over to the Vons thing when it starts up. Does that start in April or May?
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Barn find' stories what's your best find? Reply with quote

I believe it starts in March -- check with the guys at Yucaipa Auto there at 5th and the blvd -- they have a handle on it...

I hope to finally have my Ghia running here in a couple of months -- it's been setting so long the master cylinder died

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: