Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This forum sucks! My thread was locked.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

Derek Cobb wrote:
You can post your particular version of the same, worn out issue to one of the original threads if you need to have some personal interaction with other Samba members. The reason it is so difficult to search is because there are way too many threads about the same things.
If getting your thread locked is too intense for your sensitivities, the internet might not be a good fit for you.

It's not a worn out issue if I can't find the answer on the subject. Do you really think I want to sit and read posts from dicks telling me to do a search? It was a specific question regarding one brand of adjusters that I could not find a answer to. But your response is a regurgitation of the same issue I'm discussing, which solves nothing. I've been on plenty of forums and this is the only forum I know of that wants users to post all suspension related questions into one thread that's 219 pages long.

But then again, you're response to what you perceive as my emotional capabilities typifies the hyper moderator attitude some of you guys have as well as your usual personal attacks on who you think people are. Which tells me exactly what type of tool you are. Thanks for the insight.
16 Tundra
14 MB C250
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

the lowering thread is a fucking train wreck. some time ago, I tried to start a thread that went something like this

year

tire size

wheel(vendor)

drop height (estimated) measured from the door handle

suspension mods (drop spindles, adj beam, narrowed beam horse shoes or re index torsions)

with no technical b.s. just specs.

that way you could comb thru and find what it took to get 3" drop or slammed on the ground.

those "all questions here" threads turn into peoples mini build threads...that never get finished which in turn makes that thread a useless junkyard of information.

the sheet metal questions in the "sheet metal" thread is a mess too. someone asked the other day about how rocker panels went together (bay's have 3) and the thread was locked and moved to the sheet metal thread, where it sat and lingered.

I get that we can only have so many cup holder/trailer hitch threads but come on..

I was about to post the answer with pics, but it must have gotten locked by the time I hit submit. soooo, I said fuck it. if that's the way it's going to be then so be it. if you want it locked, I will keep it locked in my photobucket account...

Everett...something has to be done in the bay forum....it really has gotten out of hand. I often times reply to folks I was trying to help using other methods/phone calls.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

I agree, shoving all topics into a general thread makes it harder to find anything on here.

A better solution is to have posters make the title of the thread relevant to the topic.

So like above, Skills posts a "database of lowering specs".

Or the other topic he was talking about, the guy titles it "Rocker panel fitment" or "Rocker panel installation". (Which seems to be what people are doing.)

The current method the searcher has to do a search of "posts", not "thread titles", and he's overwhelmed with every post that has "rocker panel" in it or "installation" Now that's why it's so ficken hard to find your answer on here. You'll get results that repeat the same quoted post or answer the same initial question and you can go through pages of results on the very same question. You wouldn't get that with separate threads. Your answer of sticking them in one thread only escalates the issue by negating the ability to search by thread title.

So just think about it before you spout off the same worn answer that "there's too many threads on the same subject". Because that's not always true.
16 Tundra
14 MB C250
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

I just find it maddening when I type up a reply, have a bunch of photo's to share to get the default "cant reply" message. honestly, I don't care. I (usually) have the answers/photos/CORRECT way to do something. if I just get to a point where it's too difficult to share that info, I won't.

the bay forum needs me more than I need them. that's not arrogance, that's the truth. I have been over every inch of a bay for 2 decades. I have a lot to offer even if my delivery rubs folks the wrong way. sorry I don't shit rainbows and burp sunshine

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

I think there's merit by the poster who restarted this thread. I've also noticed this trend to lock any new question immediately and direct them to an existing thread that in some cases is a decade old or has 220 pages.

I agree with Skills in that the bay forum has had a locked thread festival going on lately. YES.. so of the most obvious, repetitive questions can get old but.. some questions that are repetitive can have new information or new parts or new people adding there experiences as well. I've opened some of these frequent question posts and in some cases, someone will post something I wasn't aware of.

Yes, some people are lazy and don't want to be bothered with having to search for their question/s. But there has to be a happy middle ground where there's some leeway and allow new topics/posts so a specific forum doesn't die on the vine with only 5 new posts a day.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

I asked the Bay Window moderator who has been locking a lot of threads to come and read the comments here.

skills@eurocarsplus contacted me directly a few days ago about this same topic.
I looked at all the threads that were recently locked in the Bay Forum 99% of them were valid. I asked him to contact me if anything was locked after that that he felt was incorrect. To anyone else - feel free to do that too.

I will address the 2 threads mentioned in this thread as I think those are valid complaints:
1. Wagenswest Beefcake adjusters, how low do they go?
This was "report"ed by a member and I locked it. I may have acted too quickly on that as someone may have come along and answered it for you but I also agree with what was posted in that thread - why not ask the vendor directly.
2. Confused on Rocker Panels
(I think this the thread you mean)
It looks like this person was asking for a source for rocker panels and not any sort of installation help or tips.
From what I can tell, the "Body Repair Panels" thread is a dedicated thread on where to find body pieces.
So this seems like a valid redirect?
If he was asking about installation help or welding or it was an ongoing topic about doing the work it should not have been locked.
It sounds like someone has some information to post so I have unlocked it.

You are correct that the "dedicated" threads should not be used for ongoing project stuff, it's a place to ask a question and get a response so you don't have to do a search for "Rockers" and weed through 100 threads.

There is an advantage to the dedicated threads - you can go to ONE place and search within that thread to find information. Or with Tires, you can go to the END of the thread and see the latest information on Tires.
You also get the benefit of people who specifically "watch" those threads to reply to them. People who might miss your random brand new thread.

Quote:
there has to be a happy middle ground where there's some leeway and allow new topics/posts so a specific forum doesn't die on the vine with only 5 new posts a day

I understand what you are saying but it you go look at the Bay Forum the amount of posts that are locked are very few compared to the overall thread count in there.
On page 1 right now there is 1 locked thread.
On page 2 there are 2.

In conclusion:
If you feel something should NOT have been locked, hit "Report" on it and I will get an alert and I will check it out.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

Everett,

Thanks for taking the time to investigate the concerns mentioned in this thread. I think Skills and I noticed the locked threads and redirects a few days/weeks ago when it was most frequent in the bay forum. It's eased a bit this past week.

I can see where someone posting a question (especially if they are new to the site) gets his thread locked and is then directed to an existing (old) thread that has tons of pages with dead links to pictures or information.

There should be some consideration in maybe starting some new threads that have been going on for years with outdated information. Think "what oil should I use". I know it would be breathtakingly exhaustive to clean up those threads. Maybe lock the old ones and direct them toward the "new, updated" thread that's tilted "what oil to use #2" with the most current information.

One thing that has improved over the years is some of the "people skills" challenged regulars replying to a new post with "do a search". Yes, there has to be a happy medium but as I mentioned, many times someone asks a question that been covered frequently and someone adds some new information or makes people aware of a new part being reproduced..

I just don't want to see the amount of new posts diminish to the point where we click in our favorite forum and only see 2 new posts all day. There are a few forum categories that fit that example. We all enjoy reading new posts and if we get sick of the same type of post of repetitive question type of post, we can chose to not open it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to investigate the concerns mentioned in this thread. I think Skills and I noticed the locked threads and redirects a few days/weeks ago when it was most frequent in the bay forum. It's eased a bit this past week.

Ok, I did not realize that.

wcfvw69 wrote:
There should be some consideration in maybe starting some new threads that have been going on for years with outdated information. Think "what oil should I use". I know it would be breathtakingly exhaustive to clean up those threads. Maybe lock the old ones and direct them toward the "new, updated" thread that's tilted "what oil to use #2" with the most current information.

On these threads, there is typically a summary at the top of the thread.
It's up to a moderator or me to keep this updated, if needed.
This doesn't always happen though.
Otherwise you should read the latest information at the end of the thread or post there asking for the latest information.
Unless something has drastically changed, I don't see a reason to start a new thread.

wcfvw69 wrote:
One thing that has improved over the years is some of the "people skills" challenged regulars replying to a new post with "do a search".

This is true - I may have affected that by specifically telling people that posting "do a search" is useless. You need to provide a link to the existing thread or a search link to show that this has is covered.

wcfvw69 wrote:
I just don't want to see the amount of new posts diminish to the point where we click in our favorite forum and only see 2 new posts all day. There are a few forum categories that fit that example.

Some sections are slower (Example: 411/412) but not from moderation, there is just less interest and less vehicles there.

Overall, you are correct - we don't want to scare people off, especially new people to the site.
Typically with new people I will contact them directly to let them know why something was removed or try to make it very clear if I lock a thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Locked Redirected Threads Reply with quote

My thoughts on having one Topic are as follows.

Let me use the "Lowering a Bay" thread as an example.
At the time of writing it is 219 pages long.
Let's say the average thread is 2 pages long.
This Topic would generate 109 Threads.
In order to search this Topic. In this case.
You would have to open 109 threads and "Search the topic" in each and every thread for another 109 searches, for a total of 218 searches.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With one Topic. You open one Thread and do a "Search this topic"
All post related to your search will pop up.

Put another way it is easier to search one box than to have to open and search 109 boxes.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely
Tcash
Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Redirected Threads Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
My thoughts on having one Topic are as follows.

Let me use the "Lowering a Bay" thread as an example.
At the time of writing it is 219 pages long.
Let's say the average thread is 2 pages long.
This Topic would generate 109 Threads.
In order to search this Topic. In this case.
You would have to open 109 threads and "Search the topic" in each and every thread for another 109 searches, for a total of 218 searches.

With one Topic. You open one Thread and do a "Search this topic"
All post related to your search will pop up.

Put another way it is easier to search one box than to have to open and search 109 boxes.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely
Tcash

Yes that would make sense if you are searching for "lowering a bay" however if you are looking for drop spindle height, or spline indexing you wouldn't have 109 topics.

My example, "wagenswest adjusters."
Two threads. Mine that was closed, and another that was referred to the lowering a bay thread.

I get the point of a general thread but it would be nice to leave threads requesting specific info open for answers.
16 Tundra
14 MB C250
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

I don't think this forum sucks.
It's funny, this thread made me think of when I joined TheSamba. My first post was Deleted and my second post was Locked for asking why the first post was deleted.
The issue is the search engine. I don't know how many times I have read, "The search engine sucks". Well the search engine does not suck. It is only as good as the data entered.
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Redirected Threads Reply with quote

Eharrison wrote:

Yes that would make sense if you are searching for "lowering a bay" however if you are looking for drop spindle height, or spline indexing you wouldn't have 109 topics.
Your questions are specific to the Topic of Lowering A Bay. The Subject matter would be "drop spindle height, or spline indexing"

Eharrison wrote:

Two threads. Mine that was closed, and another that was referred to the lowering a bay thread.

Let's see if this works?
Open:
Lowering a Bay

In the search this topic box enter: wagenswest adjusters

Search results: wagenswest adjusters
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...ults=posts

Eharrison wrote:

I get the point of a general thread but it would be nice to leave threads requesting specific info open for answers.

Your question was moved to the appropriate thread and left open?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7994772#7994772

Lowering a Bay is a specific Topic, now the subject matter may vary, ie how you get to that lowered stance. But your questions are specific to Lowering a Bay

Hope this helps
Tcash
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

^^^^^right, but he posted the question on the 5th....zero replies. that thread is such a horror show for getting an answer or finding info on a kind of obscure question.

and yes, I did contact Everett. when I am getting p/m's, text messages and phone calls from forum members about crap going on, getting topics moved etc it gets old. I have no skin in the game yet some look at me as the bay window hero Confused

and when a thread gets locked and moved, the body of the question simply gets quoted in the thread it "belongs in" but the body of the locked thread doesn't move...meaning that if there were replies, they don't follow the question.

I am sure it's hard to keep the forum "clean" but when someone is asking for specific info a lock and redirect is just plain annoying. perhaps you could let the question ride for a week or 2 till the peanut gallery replies then lock it when the info has been posted? I don't know...but if I get one more text about the bay forum I am changing my #

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
^^^^^right, but he posted the question on the 5th....zero replies. that thread is such a horror show for getting an answer or finding info on a kind of obscure question.
Not sure what post you are referring to? I only see two post by Eharrison on this subject. One posted on Feb 27th and one on March 8th.

In my opinion the Lowering a Bay thread is a great source of information and is quite searchable. It pops up as the top search result for google as well.

and yes, I did contact Everett. when I am getting p/m's, text messages and phone calls from forum members about crap going on, getting topics moved etc it gets old. I have no skin in the game yet some look at me as the bay window hero Confused
You contacted me as well in a way and I responded to your inquiry in that thread.
TCASH

and when a thread gets locked and moved, the body of the question simply gets quoted in the thread it "belongs in" but the body of the locked thread doesn't move...meaning that if there were replies, they don't follow the question.
I know of no way to merge two threads or move multiple post to the thread they belong in. It requires copying and pasting each post.

I am sure it's hard to keep the forum "clean"
Trying my best.
but when someone is asking for specific info a lock and redirect is just plain annoying.
Sorry your annoyed! A redirect gets the OP (original poster) to the most informative thread on the subject. As well as making future searches more productive.

perhaps you could let the question ride for a week or 2 till the peanut gallery replies then lock it when the info has been posted? I don't know...
This would negate the idea of having consolidated information in one thread.

but if I get one more text about the bay forum I am changing my #
What's your number? Laughing
Kidding aside.

Please be advised everyone is free to PM me with any concerns or questions you may have. I will due my best to answer them, if unable to resolve your concerns. I will forward it to the appropriate administrator.

Sincerely
Tcash
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: This forum sucks! My thread was locked. Reply with quote

Yes, there is no easy way to "move" all the posts from a locked thread into another thread.

Even the copying and pasting of the one post is a little weird to me because I do not do that myself.
I ask the thread originator to repost in the other thread themselves.
This is my moderation style though - different people may do things differently.
Eharrison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Locked Redirected Threads Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Eharrison wrote:

Your questions are specific to the Topic of Lowering A Bay. The Subject matter would be "drop spindle height, or spline indexing"

Eharrison wrote:

Let's see if this works?
Open:
Lowering a Bay

In the search this topic box enter: wagenswest adjusters

Search results: wagenswest adjusters
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...ults=posts

Eharrison wrote:

Your question was moved to the appropriate thread and left open?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7994772#7994772

Lowering a Bay is a specific Topic, now the subject matter may vary, ie how you get to that lowered stance. But your questions are specific to Lowering a Bay

Hope this helps
Tcash

Yes thanks for pointing that out. I don't think we feel we are working on the same level here. I posted a question AFTER I could not find the answer, AFTER searching. Your rapid response was to close the thread down before someone was able to answer. Nothing more, nothing less.

Is there an advantage to closing it ASAP? It would make searching by thread title easier if the question was answered. (In my opinion). Regardless, the thread was created and so, forever searchable by thread title, unless Its completely deleted. So now there's tons of locked threads, with no answers, directing us to the abyss of the "lowering a bay" thread.

If that's the way you guys roll, fine. Your house, your rules. All I know is I'm not the only one thinking this, especially when any lowering subject hits the front page guys are posting "IBTL". And, actually, some guys answered my questions, in a previous thread, right before it was locked; which was nice.
16 Tundra
14 MB C250
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Locked Redirected Threads Reply with quote

Eharrison wrote:
. So now there's tons of locked threads, with no answers, directing us to the abyss of the "lowering a bay" thread.

My understanding is that the ridiculous repeater threads get deleted after a period of time.

I would venture that redirecting/locking happens more in the bay window forum because of new (and sometimes lazy) people behind the keyboard more than some sort of shadow facist moderator regime.

It's the same reason most of us keep jamming "0" for the operator instead of being patient and getting the recorded information on a customer support computerized phone tree
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: