Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel filler neck component pictures
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Here are the pictures of the fuel filler neck. It comes in two metal sections and uses three sections of the same diameter hose as type 3.

The real problematic part is the very bottom hose section. Its stupidly short. This makes it hard to clamp, bend just the small amount it needs to etc. If you make it any longer....it wants to buckle a bit and makes getting the angle of the upper filler neck difficult....which once bolted in place puts a lot of stress on the whole assembly. You can at best...make the lower hose part maybe...1/4" to 3/8" longer.
You will have to shorten the middle hose segment by the same amount to keep the length correct and make sure that the bracket for the upper tube meets up where it should.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the whole mess. The steel parts have been redone in baked VHT spray epoxy. I dont know how it will hold up. Time will tell.

The main filler neck. You can see the hold down tab welded on and just barely see the 14mm vent hose connection on the back side.

Next in line is the 4.5" section that connects the upper filler tube to the steel bend. You can see that it had a rubber sleeve around the outside from the factory. This is to keep abrasion down from gravel etc. off the wheel...and to strengthen the hose from the very slight bend it gets when attached to the curve tube and the whole mess levered into place once attached to the gas tank.

Next in line is the curved tube...a really nicely shaped part as well as the upper tube. These parts are really heavy duty.

The final and most problematic part is the attachment sleeve to the fuel tank nipple. As you can see...its short and hard to deal with.

Above are some shots immediately after removing the assembly from the car in the still assembled condition with a few more better measurements of the hose sections.

Above is a picture of the tank after stripping. The hole in the center is for the fuel gage. The top of the picture is forward in the car. You can see at lower right the 14mm vent hose connection and at lower left is the 3mm nipple.

For giggles...here is the tank after stripping and acid washing. I am purposely allowing it to flash rust so that.....

The Jasco metal prep phosphoric acid has something to convert before I primed and painted it with epoxy. In retrospect...the epoxy will probably have better bite if I had not primed the tank. I may still strip it again and repaint. But it should be fine as its in a rather protected environment.

In this view...you can see the manufactured date I found on the tank edge. This picture is after priming.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

The filler necks i have are all made of one steel pipe that has a bend in the lower part. As the one-piece-neck is so stif i haven't had any problems replacing it. This is again something i had never seen: a two piece fuel filler neck in a type 4! Surprised
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

That is great, I wish I had one steel pipe to fix this. Ray, again...this is absolutely great intel, since I dont have the continuous steel hose.

Are there any tricks for the vent lines?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
That is great, I wish I had one steel pipe to fix this. Ray, again...this is absolutely great intel, since I dont have the continuous steel hose.

Are there any tricks for the vent lines?

Pull your carpet back and pop off the two covers and shine a light at whats there. Then drop down below and see where the other end goes.....think on it a bit. Those arn't too hard.....but it will depend on what and how you want to snake lines around. I remember every time I have changed them without the tank,out there was something difficult that caused much cursing.

I am trying to remember if the difficulty is because the vent lines are held to the body with bend tabs/loops. Since my front end is off I can look in the am and take a picture.

Its 20F out there right now....motivational issues you understand Laughing
Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to attempt replacing the fuel filler neck components with the front-end components intact. A few questions

1) How low should the fuel level be prior to removing neck? 1/4 tank Ok?

2) Where do I access the vent lines?

3) Do you recommend any vendor who sells a quality Type 3 kit inclusive of all the lines?

Thanks, - Ron
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Well, I'm going to attempt replacing the fuel filler neck components with the front-end components intact. A few questions

1) How low should the fuel level be prior to removing neck? 1/4 tank Ok?

2) Where do I access the vent lines?

3) Do you recommend any vendor who sells a quality Type 3 kit inclusive of all the lines?
I
Thanks, - Ron

1/4 tank should be fine.

You can simply buy a piece of type 3 hose from ISP west. The part number is on the hose in one of my pics.
You can pobably get it at west coast metric or CSP1 as well. I dont yet knjow of the quality of this hose for modern fuels.....which is why I am thinking of going down to a flaps like some of the bus guys and matching it up to a modern fuel filler hose since you are going to chop it up anyway....only length and diameter matter.
In that way you can request something with a gates barricade rating.

The vent hose. ...you can buy probably anywhere the bus guys buy their vent hose. I have not bought any lately yet. I will check around.

Accesing the top connections.....pull the carpet back from the firewall at the back of the trunk to just about where the fuel guage area is ....just inboard of each strut tower and you will find q black steel cap on each side.....pop those out and you will find the vent hose connections. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Thanks much Ray. Im having a blast with this car. No project is simple on it, however, once I tackle one item the reward is great. Desperately looking for a dash oard. Do not have the skill set at all to restore one unless its in fairly decent shape.

That is my next big challenge. Any leads would be great. No bites in WTB.
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Greetings- One of my favorite posts as I'm getting ready to undertake this operation.

A few quick questions:

1) I saw the length of hose ISP west sells for the filler neck. How many lengths do I need?

2) I'm going to attempt this with tank in car. (I know..). That said, how low does the fuel tank level need to be prior to removing bottom most section of hose?

3) Any idea where to get that rubber collar that goes around filler neck by cap?

Thanks, - Ron
Lahti411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Rubber collar:
http://www.vwispwest.com/311821443A.html?page=1
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Thanks much! Make that 2 remaining questions. Question
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

You only need one length of the type 3 hose from ISP west. You will cut two sections from it and have a small amount left over. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Great -- my final question is how low does the fuel level need to be prior to removing the bottom-most piece of hose?

Thanks, -Ron
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

ClassicCamper wrote:
Great -- my final question is how low does the fuel level need to be prior to removing the bottom-most piece of hose?

Thanks, -Ron

About 1/4 tank should be fine. Its a deep tank. Ray
ClassicCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the guidance regarding the necessary fuel filler hoses. I received the following parts yesterday:

Since I'll be taking the trunk felt/carpet out in prep for paint, this will be a great opportunity to begin this hose replacement process. Ray, I recall you mentioning in a previous post that you may be able to give me some insight into the size(s) of the flexible vent tubes as your front end is off. If you are able to do this, kindly forward. If not, no biggie- I'm sure that I'll be able to match up upon removal.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

I will have the hose sizes to you shortly. A suggestion from experience.

Get some cheap yellow tracing paper from hobby lobby or some seamstress pattern makijg paper and make patterns of the trunk felt before you remove them. You will likely have to replace the felt on the strut towers. I have never been able to get those out in one piece consistently. Ray
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

The parts book lists the fuel tank vent hoses in millimeter length:

The lengths are:

For the vent hose from the T fitting on top of the tank to the aluminum connector line with the nipple to the right side of the car

340mm up to chassis # 411 2100 000

230mm x 3/16" ID for chassis # from 412 2000 001.

It lists the T fittiing that goes into these hoses as 2.5mm. So the hoses are listed as 4mm OD x 2.5mm ID.

The skinny vapor hoses up top that go to the T fitting and the top corner of the tank should also be 4.0mm x 2.5mm ID and the lengths are 970mm and 1030mm.

I have found that 3mm OD hoses "work" but they can have a short life because they have to stretch so hard on the nipples that they crack as they shrink with age.

The larger vapor hoses that go to the canister or from the canister to air cleaner and cooling manifold are 12mm ID with 3.3mm wall section.

Ray
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Ray.. How well is the epoxy paint holding holding up?
Any signs of the gas causing any problems?

oemwolf
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

a.wilson wrote:

Its not in the car yet. Still stripping and undercoating...a vast job on this car.

Also not likely to see fuel for at least a year.

I have however been wondering that very thing so I will put the elbow in some fuel and see how it holds up and report back.

Ray
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
a.wilson wrote:

Its not in the car yet. Still stripping and undercoating...a vast job on this car.

Also not likely to see fuel for at least a year.

I have however been wondering that very thing so I will put the elbow in some fuel and see how it holds up and report back.

Ray

Understood. Thanks..
Yeah, these old cars sure can take time.

oemwolf
kgarchivinusa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel filler neck component pictures Reply with quote

Some NOS fuel tank parts

(2) 411 201 137 A
(4) 411 201 143
(7) 113 201 157
(8 ) 411 201 179
(10) 411 201 183
(16) 411 201 225
(20) 113 201 551 H

1968 VW 411 4-door royal red
1968 VW 411 L 4-door cobaltblue
1988 Porsche 924S Targa alpinweiss

(O = i = O) Karmann Ghia rassig und charmant [hot-blooded and charming] [O o\ i /o O]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: