Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely right about the carnk. I would also use a NOS one, not a regrounded used one. I have several used crankshafts, but I prefer the NOS parts in my own engine!! Maybe, I will bring this crankshaft to indicate it, to see if there is any problem with it or only with that bearing area.
Here in Hungary it is very cheap to reground a crankshaft, costs something like $50.. Smile
spencerfvee wrote:
I would use a different crank I would not have that one turned . if it was me . my self. don't like using something that did not work the first time .but that's me you do what makes you happy .around here in ohio it cost $150.00 to grind a crank .I am sure you can find a good used 40 hp crank for way less money. than it would cost to grind a crank . spencerfvee
akomjathy wrote:
Hi,
Today I changed all of my connecting rods to another complete set. I changed the rod bearing from the 3rd rod and put them to the 4th. From the 4th I put the bearings to the 3rd rod. I put the crankshaft and the camshaft into the engine case. Put the 3rd and 4th cyl and pistons, also the cyl head and the pushrod tubes. I turned around the engine with a wrench and the knocking noise is still there!! So after that from the 1st and 2nd side I put my big screwdriver to the back side of the rod and stressed it to the wall of the crankshaft while my father turned around the engine. There is no knocking at all!! So, it means something should be wrong with the crankshaft. I am not sure if it is enough to reground it. It is in standard size all around... Here are some pics:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

spencerfvee wrote:
I have been building vw motors for 45 years and when I think I have seen it all . a motor like yours proves me wrong .and I all ways learn some thing new about a vw motor . cant wait to see what you find out . I never herd a sound like that coming from a rod lol hang in there spencerfvee .
akomjathy wrote:
No sticking valve or no lifter noise. If there is no rocker assembly, the knocking noise is the same. The clearance between the lifter and the cam lobe is more than .04. I also push back the lifters to the engine case to be sure that the cam doesn't touch them.
The 1st and 2nd piston and cyl. was not on the engine when I made the video. So what else could it be?? I am thinking about the rod only....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change them for what? For other manufacturer ones? Do you think that AA p/c has some problems?
Gearfinger wrote:
Change the P/C assemblies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 83s A&A s in my 40hp motor they work fine . I cant see why you would want to change them befor I would do any thing else to your motor I would change the crank and go from there . my god your not made of money . to be buying all new parts .just my two cents
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not going to buy a new P/C set, only if I will find a NOS Kolbenschmidt 83 mm P/C kit.
Today, I've changed the crankshaft to a NOS standard one. The knocking noise was the same, so it means there are some issues with the P/C kit. Before, I completed my engine, I changed the 3rd P/C to the 2 nd P/C. I completed the engine. Tomorrow I will switch it on and will see what happened! Will keep you updated! Smile Attila

spencerfvee wrote:
I am running 83s A&A s in my 40hp motor they work fine . I cant see why you would want to change them befor I would do any thing else to your motor I would change the crank and go from there . my god your not made of money . to be buying all new parts .just my two cents
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that sucks. it was the 83 p/c kit. sorry to here that . I have built a lot of motors with A&A P/C kits and never had what happened to you .I would talk to the shop you bought the P/C kit from maybe they would give your money back or replace the P/C kit with a new one . sorry to here about your bad luck spencerfvee
akomjathy wrote:
I am not going to buy a new P/C set, only if I will find a NOS Kolbenschmidt 83 mm P/C kit.
Today, I've changed the crankshaft to a NOS standard one. The knocking noise was the same, so it means there are some issues with the P/C kit. Before, I completed my engine, I changed the 3rd P/C to the 2 nd P/C. I completed the engine. Tomorrow I will switch it on and will see what happened! Will keep you updated! Smile Attila

spencerfvee wrote:
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responds and helps guys! Today I put the engine into my car. Everything sounds great, without that knocking noise. The only thing that I've changed in my engine was the 2nd P/C to the 3rd P/C. So I put the 2nd the to 3rd place and put the 3rd to the 2nd place......

spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great job I am, happy you got it running now enjoy your car . all the hard work will soon be in the past when you go down the road . and feal the power of the new motor lol spencerfgvee
akomjathy wrote:
Thanks for your responds and helps guys! Today I put the engine into my car. Everything sounds great, without that knocking noise. The only thing that I've changed in my engine was the 2nd P/C to the 3rd P/C. So I put the 2nd the to 3rd place and put the 3rd to the 2nd place......

akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Does anyone know how many "CC" is the chamber volume of a stock 40 HP 1200 ccm cylinder head?
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Here mine

Big Bore 1385cc AA
Stock cranckshaft
Cam Scat C25
Stock square boss heads
Dual SOLEX 34PCI NOS with Riechert linkage, filters and manifolds
Screamer Kit NOS (Bosch 019)
FRAM Filter NOS
Abarth 4 tips muffler

akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Veeery nice!! Congratulations!
What kind of piston/cylinder set are you using?
What is your Compression ratio?
Did you machine work the cylinder heads or are they totally stock 1200 ccm?

Attila

62ItalianRagtop wrote:
Here mine

Big Bore 1385cc AA
Stock cranckshaft
Cam Scat C25
Stock square boss heads
Dual SOLEX 34PCI NOS with Riechert linkage, filters and manifolds
Screamer Kit NOS (Bosch 019)
FRAM Filter NOS
Abarth 4 tips muffler

62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Thank you Very Happy

83 mm P&C AA brand
heads totally stock
I don't know compression ratio ...
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Txs!
Are you using single port 1200 or 1300 heads?
Because, for the Riechert 1200 intake manifold you cannot put the 34 PCI without a modification.
Am I right?😀😀
62ItalianRagtop wrote:
Thank you Very Happy

83 mm P&C AA brand
heads totally stock
I don't know compression ratio ...
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

You are wrong Very Happy
Original 1200 square boss heads with original reichert manifold
http://tettodistraccio.blogspot.it/2013/05/vintage-speed-engine.html?m=1
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

The holes on the intake to hold the carbs should make bigger, because the bottom of the 34 PCI is bigger then the 28 PCI. I am on progress now with a set of SOLEX 32 PCI.....
How does your engie works? Is there a knocking noise from the pistons? I had to take apart my engine after 1600 km. I changed the pistons and there is no knocking....

62ItalianRagtop wrote:
You are wrong Very Happy
Original 1200 square boss heads with original reichert manifold
http://tettodistraccio.blogspot.it/2013/05/vintage-speed-engine.html?m=1
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

With this kit you do not have to change anything (A and B heads have the smaller 32mm diameter port, but the C (113.101.351 C) and later has the larger 34mm)

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/Vergaser/riechert-vergaser/solex/verg_2xsolex34pci-d-beschr.htm

My engine runs well ... especially at first and second gear, it is very fun to drive.
In the third and fourth gear it makes more effort to climb speed ... I don't know why ....
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I didn't see this kit on the website, when I bought my set. But, I will modifie them for the 32 PCI carbs. It is not a bug problem...

About the power of your engine; you should flycut your cylinder heads for the necessary compression ratio which works with your SCAT cam. I am just making it on my engine! I put bigger intake valves (35,5 mm) and flycut the heads. Also the deck height is important! What is your deck height in millimeter?

62ItalianRagtop wrote:
With this kit you do not have to change anything (A and B heads have the smaller 32mm diameter port, but the C (113.101.351 C) and later has the larger 34mm)

http://www.riechertmotorentechnik.de/Vergaser/riechert-vergaser/solex/verg_2xsolex34pci-d-beschr.htm

My engine runs well ... especially at first and second gear, it is very fun to drive.
In the third and fourth gear it makes more effort to climb speed ... I don't know why ....
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm not so expert with engine .... my engine was build from a VW garage. I will take your observations Very Happy
vicpolky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

Nice motors guys! Great to see more 1385cc 40 horsers out there Cool
akomjathy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

vicpolky wrote:

Thank you! Here is a pic from my freshly rebuilt engine. And pic from my cylinder head. My compression ratio is 8,8 now. Hope it will work good!

56 VDUB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 HP engine build with a 1385 ccm big bore kit Reply with quote

akomjathy wrote:
vicpolky wrote:

Thank you! Here is a pic from my freshly rebuilt engine. And pic from my cylinder head. My compression ratio is 8,8 now. Hope it will work good!

Those heads and that motor look awesome Attila! Cool

My 1956 RHD Aussie Beetle ll (o\!/o) ll

Sydney, Australia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: