Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bodywork Budgeting in Maryland
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
buguy wrote:
^^^Thats very true! And Omni is damn near the cheapest paint you can get. You should see what happens to the bill when you step up to the good stuff! But its the amount of labor that is really shocking. Im impressed by anyone that is able to strip a car down and restore it properly in their garage in their off time. Its a wonder they are able to ever get it finsihed.

I fixed my last post. It was PPG Concept and it WASN'T cheap! lol It was $500 a gallon with reducer and hardners..

Oh yeah. Thats way more. I recently bought a gallon of Black Cherry for a 442 I was doing. $700 for the gallon of color alone in Concept. Reducers and hardeners arent much cheaper. Clear is usually $400-$500 for a gallon kit too. Materials are killer these days. If you want to start getting real scared, price out the high end stuff. I cant believe they can even tell you the price with a straight face.

My last boss was worth hundreds of millions of dollars. In his enormous airplane hanger, he had a few muscle cars that were restored by high end shops. One was a 57 Chevy, painted black. That paint job was FLAWLESS. Not one flaw or imperfection that I could see, and I looked hard. As you looked down the side of those long panels, you couldn't see ANY waves, ripples or anything. It was perfectly flat, like a mirror. He shared the cost of just the paint job portion of the restoration. Over $35k to just paint the car.. The shop used the best of the best in painting supplies. Hundreds of hours blocking it out before spraying it. Hundreds of hours color sanding and buffing.

Those high end paint jobs put in perspective our complaints about paying for paint supplies for our cars.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true. On the flip side, in our shop we see people spend 2 years and 100k+ restoring their cars, then when it comes time for paint they cheap out and get in a big rush.
Cliff@BrownBags
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork Budgeting in Maryland Reply with quote

5k is just the paint job. You are looking at over a grand just in GOOD materials.

Minimal body work and paint is easily 5-10k. I think you underestimate 2 things.
1. the cost of GOOD materials
2. the time it takes to do it.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork Budgeting in Maryland Reply with quote

I paid $900k for PPG Concept, reducer, and hardener and Epoxy primer shipped to my house. Who knows what I paid in sandpaper, acetone, gloves, water separaters, tack cloth, and time!

Then who knows what I paid after I was done painting and it was time for me to color sand which took 6 weeks since I am a father and have a full time job.

Its just one of those things, they charge a lot because most people really can't be bothered and they know that. And that's ok.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bodywork Budgeting in Maryland Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
I paid $900k for PPG Concept, reducer, and hardener and Epoxy primer shipped to my house. Who knows what I paid in sandpaper, acetone, gloves, water separaters, tack cloth, and time!

Then who knows what I paid after I was done painting and it was time for me to color sand which took 6 weeks since I am a father and have a full time job.

Its just one of those things, they charge a lot because most people really can't be bothered and they know that. And that's ok.

That's quite an expensive paint job Wink
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bodywork Budgeting in Maryland Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Schwing wrote:

That's quite an expensive paint job Wink

Oops. Yeah I think I'd rather have a waterfront house with a nice big garage than a $900,000 paintjob. $900 is what I paid. Its a backyard paintjob and it shows but I don't care cause its my first paint job.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: