Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need help searching the classifieds please.
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve medley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: I need help searching the classifieds please. Reply with quote

I have been away from the site for quite a while. It has changed a lot. I tried to look for ads but have been unable to do so. Except to search e-bay and this seems inefficient. Everything I've tried keeps coming up "No Ads Found". Can someone help me out with this. Thanks, Steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

steve medley wrote:
I have been away from the site for quite a while. It has changed a lot. I tried to look for ads but have been unable to do so. Except to search e-bay and this seems inefficient. Everything I've tried keeps coming up "No Ads Found". Can someone help me out with this. Thanks, Steve

Are you trying to find a rare or hard to find part? That's the response you'll get if there is nothing for sale that matches what you're trying to find. Have you tried searching for something easy like "bumper" to see if you're still getting the same problem?
steve medley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

I put in engine just to see what would come up. I must be doing something but I cannot figure out what it is. Thanks for replying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

If you click on the classifieds tab this drop down menu shows up

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click on "search" and you get this

From there change the search option from "title only" to "title and description". You can also go down to "categories" and choose to search in a specific category.
SuperSamba Premium Member
Samba False Idol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

"Engine" is too common a word to search on. You might be better off looking through the Engine Category here: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=23
or narrowing it down with specific search terms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

steve medley wrote:
I put in engine just to see what would come up. I must be doing something but I cannot figure out what it is. Thanks for replying.

You'll have to be more specific, engine is likely one of the words that return so many results it is blocked.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

try motor... Rolling Eyes long block,shortblock....
steve medley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

I tried heater controls for a 67 Squareback. Then heater*. Same results. Then I tried pedal assembly. Same results. Is anybody willing to talk to me on the phone? Thanks to everybody that responded.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, I tried a search for "engine" & it came back with over 1000 hits & the site suggested I narrow the search. I do access the site from my iPhone though.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

Practice makes perfect on words for Search. Limit the search to Type 3 parts. 'Dash' parts might give heater controls? Confused
Chrome heater controls like this red '67 square has?

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve medley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

Here's an example of a search I made. What did I forget to do or do wrong?
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

Remove your name. It's trying to search for ads for "radio" ONLY from that user name. So if the are no current ads for a radio from "Steve Medley" nothing is going to come up.
steve medley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

I did that. Still not working. ???
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

Looks like you've got splitwindow sedan and 58-67 bug highlighted, try it with the blue stripe on the all option on each one.

Edit: I got 941 ads when I typed radio in the search bar and did nothing else aside from click search. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!

Last edited by busdaddy on Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

Leave models at "all" not split window.
Then in categories you need to scroll down further and choose parts type 1 58-67 instead of vehicles type 1 58-67 which is what your picture shows.
steve medley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

Cali Army Guy,
Thanks so much for your help. I feel kinda foolish about this but now I've got it. Thanks so much for your help.
Cali_Army_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

steve medley wrote:
Cali Army Guy,
Thanks so much for your help. I feel kinda foolish about this but now I've got it. Thanks so much for your help.

No problem. Now if you get carried away and spend all your money in the classifieds I was never here and can't be held responsible hahaha
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

If you can't find what you need place a WTB ad in the appropriate classifieds. Click on the WTB ads anywhere & they all come up as a separate ad section. This also takes some practice. Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: I need help please. Reply with quote

It looks like you figured it out but if you have any questions feel free to post again or email me directly.

A bunch of what you did I have seen before from others, especially putting their name in the username field so no reason to feel foolish.

A few comments below, for anyone reading the thread:
If you are searching for parts and want to narrow it down to a specific category, pick the appropriate Parts category and not Vehicles.
Also don't pick a model, that is just for Vehicles - people don't usually set that when they place parts ads. Same with Year.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: