Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vert semaphores.....Chrome?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

Cleaning up the original semis that came with our new dolmite 55 vert and the outer arms are plated. They don't appear to have ever been apart (looking at rivets and peaned ends of pins) was this an option? I have the B/C for the car but there are no odd M codes.....but we all know how accurate those things are. Rolling Eyes
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

I've never seen chrome original sems, but yours sound like they could be....would be pretty cool if they turned out to be. I wonder if they could be off something else, like the ribbed vert sems that always pop up on eBay.de that are actually off another type of car
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hard to photograph but definitely have Chrome on arms....can see the top layers around the spring still. They were a little dinged up but I got them pretty straight. I'm gonna bench test them today, will have an extra pair to flog/trade to help fund this $$$$ build. Wink

I can't say these were the ones the car left the factory with but they definitely on the car when it got its first of 2 resprays.

Not from another make they vw here's the part #
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:

The top one's date code is AG = Jan 55. What's the other's date code? Do they line up with the chassis #?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

The old series part number is correct for Jan '55 SWF convertible semaphores. Sedan SWF semaphores were stamped with the new 3x3 part number starting no later than Oct '54.
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

One is BG other is AG

One of the Other ones I have don't have that 2 letter code. One carries the number 151953021B and is also SWF. The one with the black arm doesn't have a part number but is stamped with a BM....what are the replacements I have?
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

All four of them are SWF, but only 3 are genuine VW. The one with the SWF logo on the lens does not have the VW logo on the back frame, nor the VW part number, making it an OEM part.
The yellow lenses indicate they are for 58 to 60 cars. If the BM is a date code, it's Feb 1960
The one with the VW logo'd lens is a semaphore that came on a car from Karmann, or it was sold over the parts counter at a dealer. I suspect it's a take-off since it's not black. I bet you can find it's colour in the paint charts for a 58-60 cabrio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

They don't really come off as chrome to me in the pics, but I know you have them setting there in front of you josh and you know the difference.
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vert semaphores.....Chrome? Reply with quote

Ultramoron wrote:
They don't really come off as chrome to me in the pics, but I know you have them setting there in front of you josh and you know the difference.

Hard to capture on pic....they plated, not "triple show Chrome" there no copper or nickel showing but definitely some sort of shiny shit on top?

Got all 4 tested today, after an ultra sonic bath. On the orig ones I had to fab up and silver solder some new little brass hooks for the springs that keep them from wind opening them up.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: