Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

February 1973, Chicago Auto Show Picture of VW THING
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: February 1973, Chicago Auto Show Picture of VW THING Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First time the VW THING was in Chicago. I remember standing on that hideous yellow carpet. The one in the foreground is red, w/pre-import tail lights.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing that!

I'll have to go through my collection, but I have a magazine article somewhere that was an auto magazine that stumbled across a pre-import Thing being test driven out in the dunes somewhere. I wonder if this picture is the same one.
MRJEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I love the "hippie" paint job! Don't know why, but I do!

Also drooling over the orange fastback!
IHC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Fastback in the picture.Almost bought a 73,last year made.Also looked at the Thing at the port dock prior to official introduction.The local dealer had the Thing priced at 3600 which was more than all VW other than the Camper and 411.Ended up buying a Thing in 99 for $5500.Should have bought it in 73 for $3600.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture I will add it to our website thanks . If you want to see more of the old pictures of thing's in old magazine's check out the photos on our website http://kubeltreffen181.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The corporate groovy paint scheme drew my attention first, then the Type 3, then the Euro/Type 2 tail lights. Pretty amazing pic especially when we now know it was the last year for the Type 3, next to last year for the Type 4 and Karmann Ghia, and simultaneously the first and next to last year for Thing (officially in the US).

I would love the Fastback, Mr. Groovy, a Type 2, or a 412.
randybriscoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the first time I saw a VW Thing in person, February 1973, the Chicago Auto Show. We ordered a Red colored one from a corporate level friend at the show. I think it was delivered late May or Early June. It was Orange of course, because they didn't import Red. Downers Grove VW told us we couldn't have the car for a couple of months, until they received a stocking order. They explained that most dealers were getting one car for showroom display only.

My family sent letters from an attorney friend about legal action, and had corporate lean on them a little. After a few days we took delivery. Car had no windows! Dealer claimed that they were shipped "Knocked Down", and that they had thrown the windows away, still in boxes, by mistake. Who knows. So no windows for about a month. The one overwhelming memory of the car, at delivery, was the rubber smell of those factory floor mats. That and the semi gloss orange paint. Not a lot of vehicles painted semi-gloss, then or now.

The THING I bought, used, from a Mail Man, in the dead of winter 1976, is now being fully restored. Follow along in the Forum under "Barn Find Thing Type 181, 27,000 Original Miles". Here's the link.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579882
delux68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: February 1973, Chicago Auto Show Picture of VW THING Reply with quote

Is there any more picture of the multicolored one? It would be great to recreate it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: